Apple introduces $4.99 Voice Plan for Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has introduced a new subscription tier for Apple Music dubbed the Voice Plan that lets users access the platform's catalog using Siri.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Voice Plan will let users listen to songs, playlists, albums, and other content on Apple Music using just voice commands. It's also cheaper than the Apple Music individual plan, costing $4.99 a month.

Unlike the $9.99 Individual Plan, the Voice Plan only lets users access content via voice. It appears aimed at users who mostly listen to music via HomePod mini or AirPods

In addition to the Voice Plan, Apple has also debuted new curated playlists for various settings, including dinners, hikes, and relaxing before bed.

The Voice Plan will be available in 17 countries when it launches later in the fall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    What an odd segmentation of a service.  I see this driving more people away from the Homepod, not towards it.  

Not a good trend either. 
    aa4lkrupptylersdadwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 36
    docno42 said:
    What an odd segmentation of a service.  I see this driving more people away from the Homepod, not towards it.  

Not a good trend either. 
    Agreed. Very strange business model, and goes against the idea of keeping things simple. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I guess its a tacit admission that Siri sucks, having to subsidise customers to use it. 
    docno42royboybala1234
  • Reply 4 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    “Internet people critical of Apple strategy! Film at 11.”
    edited October 2021 radarthekatlkruppmike1jony0williamlondonronnAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    This is actually laughable 

How can anyone at Apple honestly believe Siri is up to controlling a music library?
    curiousrun8williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So, wait, does this mean without the Voice Plan Siri won't play songs asked for by voice?   What am I missing?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    MacPro said:
    So, wait, does this mean without the Voice Plan Siri won't play songs asked for by voice?   What am I missing?
    You’ll get the expanded Siri capabilities in your higher tier plans.  
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 9 of 36
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    MacPro said:
    It means for $4.99 a month you get to ONLY control Apple Music via siri, not via any other interface

Genuine laughter here
    curiousrun8tylersdadwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 36
    i was expecting this to be free
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Those who don’t yet have Apple Music but want it at an affordable price. Less features? I’m wondering if this is similar to Spotify where you can’t scroll through and find specific songs in the Apple Music interface but if you ask for a song specifically it will play it for you. 
    jony0ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Don’t you see what Apple are doing ?
    it was announced that Siri will be able to differentiate between voices while more then one person is talking so to perfect it they came out with this plan to get the algorithm working as perfect as possible. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Siri struggles to control a few switches and lights in my house. It’s very laughable that Apple thinks Siri can manage a music library of this size. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 36
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I feel like this tier is intended for people like me. I only use Apple Music on my Watch and HomePod Minis. When interacting visually, like on my iPhone or iPad, I exclusively use Spotify because I prefer its UI. 

I’m curious to see how this fits in with Apple One plans. 
    ronnAlex_V
  • Reply 15 of 36
    “Internet people critical of Apple strategy! Film at 11.”
    I think people are more or less baffled by this, not critical of it. Does it really cost Apple more to provide the use of buttons and controls that the Music app has? No. So why is there a price difference? Why is there effectively a premium for using the Music app? 

It's beyond bizarre. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Japhey said:
    I’m curious to see how this fits in with Apple One plans. 
    This.  Not that I'd use it very often since I'm in the same boat as others (have a large library of my own music), but I'd expect it to be included with an Apple One plan.

EDIT: I think I understand now after seeing the comparison on the Apple Music page.  This is a cheaper way for people who only buy a HomePod to get access to Apple Music.  Those with regular Apple Music subscriptions will get the enhanced voice control for free (along with more features).
    edited October 2021 ronnAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    It is a bit odd. What's the highest cost of running a music service - developing the UI? Letting people store their own playlists? Probably not. It ought to be the cost of the music. It sends an odd message to the music industry that their content is worth half the amount when you take Apple's graphics away.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lukei said:
    This is actually laughable 

How can anyone at Apple honestly believe Siri is up to controlling a music library?
    Believe it’s designed for casual users who want to request bands and genres and not think about it much. Not you? Get the full tier. 
    kkqd1337 said:
    i was expecting this to be free
    Why would you expect to get commercial music product for free? Do bands work for free? Data centers powered on free? Hmm no, I don’t think so… Maybe you wanted ads or something?
    edited October 2021 williamlondonronnentropysAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    It is a bit odd. What's the highest cost of running a music service - developing the UI? Letting people store their own playlists? Probably not. It ought to be the cost of the music. It sends an odd message to the music industry that their content is worth half the amount when you take Apple's graphics away.
    They'd still be paying artists the same amount per play (or however their licensing model works).  This is more about giving people who aren't deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem (e.g. bought a HomePod on a whim/got it as a gift) a cheaper way to have access to Apple Music.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonronnAlex_V
  • Reply 20 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    This is a lower-cost (entry level) way for people who do not subscribe to Apple Music content to dip their toe in the water for a longer period of time than a trial. The bet is people will upgrade to the more full featured Music subscription if they like the content (and the new curated playlists they were talking about)

Obviously there will be some cost, as Apple has to pay the artists who's music is streamed.

It could have been presented better, but when they positioned the service to the left of the individual plan (at a lower cost) on the comparison slide, it began to make sense.
    StrangeDaysronnroundaboutnowAlex_Vwatto_cobra