New MacBook Pro models limited to HDMI 2.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    seanj said:
    entropys said:
    Yes it should. Hardly anyone has USBc projectors. But they all have hdmi.
    Who on Earth has projectors in this day and age?
    Never use HDMI ports, DP is so superior.
    Pretty much every teaching institution, there are a few tens of thousands of universities worldwide, every teaching institution will have hundreds of lecturers so that alone adds up to a lot of projectors.

https://www.med.stanford.edu/av/training-resources.html
    "How to share from a laptop in a meeting (1:12)
    1. Connect your laptop via the HDMI or VGA cable at the table."

https://lbre.stanford.edu/event-services/equipment-services/projection
    "Mac VGA Adapter Pack - Contains all the possible Apple adapters to connect to the display system"

Macs are popular with students and sometimes they will have to do presentations or connect to lab displays.

It's not replacing another port so it just a nice extra for people who use it and the version 2.0 with 4k/60 is fine for covering the use case of plugging into a 3rd party display.
    MplsPelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamauxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    netrox said:
    HDMI should have never been put there. 
    Everyone I know uses one when connecting to a tv for a presentation. All the pros are happy about this. In fact, show me one legitimate pro who says Apple should never have a HDMI and or SD card. 
    I’m one Pro who doesn’t care if the HDMI port is there or not. 
    I ordered one of these machines yesterday to replace my 2015 15” MBP (which has an HDMI port btw), but all my recent presentations weren’t even done with the laptop.
    I use my 11” iPad Pro. Much more compact, much smaller but yes I have to use a USBC —> HDMI dongle. Still much easier to transport than the laptop.
    For the office, I just use a Thunderbolt dock which has all the ports I need. 
    MplsPwilliamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 64
    seanj said:
    entropys said:
    Many conference rooms use them. 
    The problem with many of these so called pros you hear from in these forums, is the constant whining of how come Apple took away such and such port from their beloved Mac circa 2012 or whatever. 
    Part of being a “pro” is planning ahead of time for your presentations. As part of that planning you call ahead and find out what technology said conference room or auditorium is using. If it’s HDMI and your laptop does not have that port, then you make sure to carry a TB3 —> HDMI adapter with you. 

Now Apple has brought back the HDMI port on the MBP but we still have someone on this forum complaining that its HDMI 2.0 and not HDMI 2.1. 

Can’t please everyone I guess. 
    MplsPllamawilliamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Translation:  They are NOT SO PRO!  Spend all that money and still no 2.1 port...  *SMH*
    OMG what are we to do?
    (Price seen below is in Canadian dollars)

MplsPwilliamlondonspock1234FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    eCar said:
    Xed said:
    entropys said:
    Is this really a problem, especially for anyone that has been using the latest Mac notebooks since 2016?

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook-Samsung-Surface/dp/B07TLMZK6S/
    It is. That adapter (and every other) doesn’t support 4k @120 from a Mac…. HDMI 2.1 does. So if you have an LG OLED C1, and want to also use it as a Mac Monitor there is no way to connect it and not be hobbled. Not a huge deal to me right now, but a new MacBook Pro should last many many years. Sucks to start it off with an HDMI port from years ago. 
    If you want higher resolution/frequency then you use the TB ports, just like they did in the presentation, duh.

seanj said:
    entropys said:
    Ummm…like every professional doing a presentation in a conference room?

Honestly, I don’t get the bitching about this - for presentations and the like for which people need HDMI connectivity 4K @ 60Hz or 1440p @ 120Hz is more than adequate. If you need/want higher resolution or frequency then you use the TB port - it’s nothing different from what people have been doing for the last 5 years. What’s so hard about that? This is clearly a minor compromise to add significant convenience for a large group of people without compromising the capabilities for the few people who need more performance.
    muthuk_vanalingamllamawilliamlondonspock1234FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 64
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    auxio said:
    netrox said:
    Everyone I know uses one when connecting to a tv for a presentation. All the pros are happy about this. In fact, show me one legitimate pro who says Apple should never have a HDMI and or SD card. 
    Funny enough, I'd argue against having the SD card slot.  Perhaps it's common for pro photography, but I personally prefer using USB drives (as do most people I know) since they tend to be more durable.  Not to mention that a lot of cameras can be hooked up via USB.

Cameras are almost exclusively USB 2.0. Direct copies from the SD card is way quicker, and you don't need a cable.
    spock1234
  • Reply 27 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    seanj said:
    entropys said:

Huh?!. You mean like every conference room with a projector... everywhere.
    muthuk_vanalingamMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    seanj said:
    entropys said:
    You need to get out more.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 64
    omasouomasou Posts: 573member
    I would rather have had another TB4 port than HDMI. What a wasted hole inside the case!

Everyone who needs HDMI already owns a USB C / HDMI dongle. I've even seen some companies use an Apple TV and AirPlay.

If you're going to include HDMI then why only support 60Hz. If I'm a video editor pro and really need the HDMI port wouldn't I want 120Hz?

Perhaps it's useful for a Sales guy using an MacBook Air and I could be wrong  but I don't see MacBook Pro users using HDMI.

This is a solution for a problem that no longer exists.
    edited October 2021 Xedwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 64
    The SD slot is another useless hole in the case.

Professional Nikon (not sure about other brands) cameras use CFexpress and XQD memory cards.

For the rest does anyone even use a camera anymore? I've been using my iPhone for years. Yeah, I have a GoPro but again, I have USB C solutions.

Yeah, everyone complained about dongles but guess what. I have them, I have almost completely wiped out the need for USB A and standardized on USB C. I have no need for any another cables like HDMI or SD card slots.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 64
    omasou said:
    I would rather have had another TB4 port than HDMI. What a wasted hole inside the case!

Everyone who needs HDMI already owns a USB C / HDMI dongle. I've even seen some companies use an Apple TV and AirPlay.

If you're going to include HDMI then why only support 60Hz. If I'm a video editor pro and really need the HDMI port wouldn't I want 120Hz?

Perhaps it's useful for a Sales guy using an MacBook Air and I could be wrong  but I don't see MacBook Pro users using HDMI.

This is a solution for a problem that no longer exists.
    Evidently you're wrong, otherwise Apple wouldn't have added the port back. 
    spock1234FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 64
    omasou said:

This is a solution for a problem that no longer still exists.
    …and you actually need 4 TB4 ports? There are plenty of people who have older MacBooks who don’t have a dongle. Then there are the people like me who have a dongle that quit working. And all the dongles that got left behind in conference rooms. Or lost when someone else borrowed them and forgot to return them…. 

Just because it’s not a problem for you doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for anyone.
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonspock1234FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Zero chance I will ever use those two ports. I wish it came with caps, so I couldn't even see them. 
    omasouwilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 64
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    elijahg said:
    auxio said:
    netrox said:
    Funny enough, I'd argue against having the SD card slot.  Perhaps it's common for pro photography, but I personally prefer using USB drives (as do most people I know) since they tend to be more durable.  Not to mention that a lot of cameras can be hooked up via USB.

Cameras are almost exclusively USB 2.0. Direct copies from the SD card is way quicker, and you don't need a cable.
    I'd imagine cameras will be changing to USB-C soon (if they haven't already) given its prevalence.  But I agree that not needing a cable is nice.  I just feel like I'm going to snap those wafer thin cards every time I use them.  Not to mention there are a multitude of them, some of which aren't compatible with SD slots (as mentioned by @omasou ).
  • Reply 35 of 64
    sflocal said:
    HDMI 2.1 had a bandwidth speed of 48gb/s.  Thunderbolt tops out at 40gb/s.  The MBP most likely has four Thunderbolt/PCIe lanes and one of those lanes is used to share between the HDMI port and SD-Card port.  So it makes perfect sense why it's limited to HDMI 2.0

People whined and complained about getting back ports, and now that they do they still complain.

I can see people primarily using that port to connect to projectors, and TV's on a TEMPORARY basis.  Quite whining on a feature you may very likely never use on a laptop. 

This is correct. I don't think this changes until Thunderbolt 5 happens which is rumored to have a top bandwidth of 80 gb/sec and at that point, the latest DisplayPort and HDMI standards should be baked in. In the meantime, it's not that the MacBook Pros can't edit in 8K....far from it, they made it clear that you can do 7 different ProRes 8K files in the workflow simultaneously which is nuts. And 8K final content is still largely not a thing except for some Youtube nature videos.

TB 5 is supposed to happen in 2022 and Apple has always been the earliest of early adopters. Perhaps we'll see it in the M2 hardware and the upcoming Apple Silicon Mac Pro.
    MplsPwilliamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:

…and you actually need 4 TB4 ports? There are plenty of people who have older MacBooks who don’t have a dongle. Then there are the people like me who have a dongle that quit working. And all the dongles that got left behind in conference rooms. Or lost when someone else borrowed them and forgot to return them…. 

Just because it’s not a problem for you doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for anyone.

If I ever travel again. I can use one USB C port to charge the laptop, and the other two USB C ports to charge my iPhone and watch. That way I don't need to carry extra power bricks. Now I'm down 1 port for my work iPhone or my AirPods.

At home, I use 2 ports one each for my 5K displays. The current MacBook charges from the 5K but requires slightly less than 100W. The new MacBook uses a 140W charger but should still work w/the display. That leaves me one open port for whatever dongle I need.

Guessing Apple added the HDMI b/c the M1 Max cannot support 4 6K displays so they said what can we do we use to offer 4 USB C ports and someone decided to add a controller for the SD and HDMI both older technologies and is step backwards. Very un-Apple like.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 64
    omasou said:
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:

How do you think he M1 Max supports 3 6K displays and 1 HDTV.

Guessing Apple added the HDMI b/c the M1 Max cannot support 4 6K displays.
    Think about what you're saying- you're effectively complaining that a laptop can't support four 6k displays! How many other laptops even come close to that? If you need that kind of power a laptop is not the right choice for you. As it stands the new MBPs are incredibly powerful and capable; they blow away most other computers on the market, laptop or desktop.

There may be a handful of users who would actually use four TB4 ports, but for each one of those there are many more for whom the SD port or HDMI port is much more valuable.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 64
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:

How do you think he M1 Max supports 3 6K displays and 1 HDTV.

Guessing Apple added the HDMI b/c the M1 Max cannot support 4 6K displays.
    Think about what you're saying- you're effectively complaining that a laptop can't support four 6k displays! How many other laptops even come close to that? If you need that kind of power a laptop is not the right choice for you. As it stands the new MBPs are incredibly powerful and capable; they blow away most other computers on the market, laptop or desktop.

There may be a handful of users who would actually use four TB4 ports, but for each one of those there are many more for whom the SD port or HDMI port is much more valuable.
    I am not complaining that the laptop cannot run 4 6K displays. I said, I would rather have 4 TB4 ports. 

You're only considering the utility of TB4 ports as display ports and not as power, data transfer and display. Very few will use the SD and even less will use the HDMI.

The M1 Max probably cannot support 4 TB ports or if it can, it cannot run 4 6K external displays plus the internal display. The internal display has a higher PPI than the Pro Display XDR  and the same XDR specs. So it appears that the M1 Max can support 4 6K displays but not 5, which makes sense. So instead Apple added the SD and HDMI ports which are less resource intensive and do not require educating the customer.

The current MB Pro supports 4 4K displays or 2 5K displays but to do the latter requires me to plug each 5K display in different sides of the laptop. I cannot plug them into the same side b/c the controller doesn't support it, which is fine but I need to know that.

The people "complaining" have moved on to USB C buying the dongles needed and been following Apple's direction of USB C and wireless (AirDrop, AirPlay). This is a confusing step backward.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    It comes down to what you think “Pro” means. For me it means a tool that’s up to the rigors of a professional working environment. The HDMI 2.0 port fits that definition for me. Is it a “gamers” delight? Maybe not, but when did Pro infer Gaming? 
    williamlondonspock1234IreneW
  • Reply 40 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    netrox said:
    Most Mac pro users are software devs per Craig F. I'm one of them. I don't use HDMI; nor a memory card barely at all, tho when I do it isn't a consumer grade SD, it's beefier CF.