New Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v73)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    I'm unsure as to whether I like the new little dots around links or the older dashes... I'm thinking the dashes were cooler.

Ah, but now we have tabs, and that makes up for it 8)
  • Reply 22 of 67
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    New version of Safari doesn't have an option to turn spell check on and keep it on yet, does it?
  • Reply 23 of 67
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Cool! It's rendering more sites correctly, and it has tabs. Safari has finally caught up to Camino.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    The tabs are still upside down and not tied to the pages they represent. Why is that?
  • Reply 25 of 67
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BKMaggert

The tabs are still upside down and not tied to the pages they represent. Why is that?

Because a tab should be tied to the browser interface.

In Safari it is tied to UI elements that will modify the contents of the tab (bookmarks, reload and so on).
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Because a tab should be tied to the browser interface.

Why? The tab tells me what PAGE it's tied to. The whole window is part of the browser interface. You don't make any sense...and neither do the tabs.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't really care what the tabs are "tied" to. They look pretty good and having an individual close box on each one is nice. Although a single "close current tab" box at the end of the tab bar, like in Mozilla, would be good. Also, Safari is really stupid about handling the addition or removal of the tab bar. When the tab bar disappears, the bottom edge of the window moves up so you have to resize it. It doesn't stay pinned to the bottom of the screen like it should. Same problem with the bottom status bar. So I just keep the tab bar shown all the time - it's not giving me any extra screen area to have it show and hide all the time.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Am I the only one that thinks that "Safari 1.0 Beta 2" sounds very ubiquitous??
  • Reply 29 of 67
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The original Safari enabled access to my bank account. The previous revision didn't. Now it's back and working again. Autofill is nice and so are tabs. Good work Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    As far as I'm concerned, this update is a joke. Sure it comes with Tabed browsing but I can't notice any speed difference at all. Same Java incompatibilities. I've sent bug reports regarding at least 10 sites I visit on regular bases. None of the problems have been addressed. It's under the hood work has do be done. The most important thing must be getting browser compatible with as many standards (and non standards) as possible. Sadly I don't notice any improvements at all Huge disappointment
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by BKMaggert

Why? The tab tells me what PAGE it's tied to. The whole window is part of the browser interface. You don't make any sense...and neither do the tabs.

Have to agree with that. It looks kinda awkward
  • Reply 32 of 67
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

10 sites

Gee, that's terrible. Out of the zillions of sites on the internet you have 10 that are still giving you trouble. Apple should immediately send you an apology. It's still in Beta so give it a chance. I've found at least 10 sites that have been fixed and I can now access!
  • Reply 33 of 67
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm fixing the title of this thread. It's not v.9. It's 1.0 Beta 2 (v73).

Actually, it is 0.9 if you click on the application icon.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Gee, that's terrible. Out of the zillions of sites on the internet you have 10 that are still giving you trouble. Apple should immediately send you an apology. It's still in Beta so give it a chance. I've found at least 10 sites that have been fixed and I can now access!

No; I'm not asking for apology, I was just hoping for improvements, thats all A browser has to be compatible with number of standars (and non standards as well) If it's 5, 10, 100 or 1000 sites it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they haven't solved the most obvious shortcomings
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by rogue27

Actually, it is 0.9 if you click on the application icon.

Apple.com, the Safari -> About box, and the Get Info box in he Finder all say Beta 2.

Where exactly do you see a .9?
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

No; I'm not asking for apology, I was just hoping for improvements, thats all A browser has to be compatible with number of standars (and non standards as well) If it's 5, 10, 100 or 1000 sites it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they haven't solved the most obvious shortcomings

Could it be that those 10 sites are badly coded?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Where exactly do you see a .9?

Finder -> Browser View -> Click on icon
  • Reply 38 of 67
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The long version number and short verion numbers differ.

• Reply 39 of 67
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Spart...where did you get that desktop picture?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I made it using only my left foot and the pedals of a Logitech Wingman Formula GP Steering Wheel.

Actually, it's a modified desktop from teknoel.com I removed the weird thing saying design by teknoel, and I made it graphite rather than blue/purple/pink.

If you want, I can throw up my version onto my FTP.