Apple rumored to release 27-inch iMac with mini-LED display in early 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2021
Apple is preparing to launch a 27-inch iMac with mini-LED and ProMotion technology in the early part of 2022, according to analyst Ross Young.

27-inch iMac

Young in a tweet on Tuesday said an upcoming 27-inch standalone display (later clarified to be the screen component of a future iMac) is predicted to launch in the first quarter of 2022 with advanced technologies first seen on Apple's Pro Display XDR.

The analyst and CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants in a statement to MacRumors said that the desktop will boast mini-LED technology. So far, all Apple products with mini-LED screens -- from the Pro Display XDR to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro and new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models -- have received XDR branding, suggesting that the new iMac will follow suit.

The rumored iMac model is also predicted to feature ProMotion, enabling dynamic screen refresh rates from 24Hz to 120Hz. Apple's iPhone 13 Pro and the recently released MacBook Pro models are the latest hardware from Cupertino to boast the variable refresh rate technology.

Young has a commendable track record when it comes to predicting Apple's display-related moves. In July, he accurately pegged the sixth-generation iPad mini's screen size. Before that, Young predicted the inclusion of ProMotion on iPhone 13 nearly a full year before its debut.

Apple's 27-inch iMac is one of the last Mac models to be powered by Intel processors. The company is at the tail end of a two-year initiative to transition its entire computer line to in-house designed Apple Silicon, an effort that most recently culminated in the launch of new 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros powered by M1 Pro and M1 Max chips.

This story has been updated to reflect a correction from Young, who previously stated that the above information applied to a 27-inch standalone display.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    May I ask if ProMotion on the new MacBooks applies only to the built-in monitor, or also any external monitors. And how would I know if my current external monitor on my Mac Mini would support ProMotion?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    "Just" wrap the new MBP display in a standalone shell. Plenty of people would be happy with that.
    MplsPwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 29
    "Just" wrap the new MBP display in a standalone shell. Plenty of people would be happy with that.
    Not sure how big the market is for a 16” standalone display. Those were popular in the early 2000’s, but people buy 24-32” external display now, and bigger. 
    muthuk_vanalingamF_Kent_DdavgregStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 29
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Apple is so good at building their eco system and a new 27-inch iMac (or bigger) with maybe some variant of the M1 processor is surely welcomed to the lineup. But one thing puzzles me. Displays. To end the 27-inch Thunderbolt display and replacing it with nothing (well the LG one simply could not match the design but I have to say that their adjustable stand is a good idea) is a mystery. Later the Pro display came but a display that is more expensive than some of the computers in their line up is not the option for many of us. Just the stand is more expensive than a Mac mini. We who want to stay in the Apple eco system should have the option of buying a great but affordable Apple display.
    edited October 2021 looplesswilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    vedelppa said:
    I'm affraid those "Mac Mini Pro"s will only come with the AS Mac Pros (and maybe as a "Mac Pro Mini", or the current Mac Pro will become the Mac Pro Max and Mac Pro will be that.. OK, last theory: I think the processors for that will be called M2 Studio so add "Studio" to the moniker-mix! :D), if ever :/.. What a shame a mid-level headless desktop is out of their interest! :( Anyway I don't like this mini-LED thing they push, with its local dimming zones instead of per-pixel dimming. Does it even deserve the "pro" moniker? Feels like a "good enough" for the price of a used car..
    Are you really upset that microLED tech isn't ready yet, so they picked the next best thing to them? You think they didn't test OLED in the process? REALLY?
    F_Kent_Dmike1patchythepirateStrangeDayswilliamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 29
    What everyone wants, probably, is a ~30" iMac in a similar take as the 24". Maybe we get a 27" after they figure the 30" is too big for most users (writing this on a 30" ACD, and it is large). They already occupy the large/pro market with the 32" XDR, as expensive as it is (it'll come down). So, maybe we get 27" iMacs on the high end of that line and •hopefully• matching displays so people with iMacs can have multiple screens, MBPs have external screens that aren't ginormous if they don't need it, and the Mac mini finally has something to be sold with it.  I'd prefer larger but this also works. 
    patchythepiratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Oh yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what I am waiting for. I don’t want to buy a MacBook - I really need those - but I absolutely need a replacement for my 2017 Imac 5K which is not powerful enough for video editing. As a non-professional I do not need a Mac Pro, and the new M1Pro and M1Max are already insanely powerful. So please Apple, bring it as fast as you can! Oh, and please, no lifestyle/ childlike colors,simply space grey with black bezels.
    Hedware
  • Reply 8 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    All in ones like the iMac are perfect if everything you need is in the chassis and you never need to add much of anything else, like a second or third monitor, external drives, or wired peripherals. Once you need to add a bunch of external stuff or you want to mount all of your monitors on pivoting arms, the all-in-oneness kind of fades away because you’re now dealing with a bunch of components and one oddball screen with a chunky chin and a bunch of cables hanging from it.

The iMac has its place, is aesthetically pleasing, and when it perfectly fits the scenarios it was designed to fill, a compact workhorse. I have a new 24” iMac as a home office computer. It replaced a MacBook Air and takes up less desktop space than the Air. It is much more ergonomic to use with its big beautiful screen at a more upright viewing position and separate keyboard and mouse. Its flat design allows it to be used on a desk return without feeling cramped in the least.

I also have an older iMac 27” that has a second monitor, external drives, external USB headphone DAC, external USB-connected powered speakers with internal DAC, subwoofer, port expansion devices, wired Ethernet, and of course keyboard, trackball, and trackpad. The good thing is that the big iMac 27” screen hides the nightmarish jumble of wires and stuff from my view.

Would a Mac mini save me from this mess? No, but there wouldn’t be an illusion of an all-in-one somehow saving me from clutter in the first place. The multiple-monitor situation would obviously be better. The mini could be mounted below the desk. The hidden mini chassis would be the IO hub rather than the iMac itself, which always has to be on the topside. 

It’ll be interesting to see what Apple does with a big iMac even though I’ve come to realize that my iMac days are over.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    vedelppa said:
    I'm affraid those "Mac Mini Pro"s will only come with the AS Mac Pros (and maybe as a "Mac Pro Mini", or the current Mac Pro will become the Mac Pro Max and Mac Pro will be that.. OK, last theory: I think the processors for that will be called M2 Studio so add "Studio" to the moniker-mix! :D), if ever :/.. What a shame a mid-level headless desktop is out of their interest! :( Anyway I don't like this mini-LED thing they push, with its local dimming zones instead of per-pixel dimming. Does it even deserve the "pro" moniker? Feels like a "good enough" for the price of a used car..
    Are you really upset that microLED tech isn't ready yet, so they picked the next best thing to them? You think they didn't test OLED in the process? REALLY?

You were able to decipher that? LOL
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    vedelppa said:
    I can't quite follow your syntax but what's wrong with the current Mac minis?

MicroLED monitors simply don't exist at this point so complaining that Apple used miniLED instead of microLED doesn't really make sense. Currently the choices are 'standard' LCD, OLED and LCD miniLED and miniLED comes out quite strong in this lineup.

williamlondonroundaboutnow
  • Reply 11 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    mr lizard said:
    Not sure how big the market is for a 16” standalone display. Those were popular in the early 2000’s, but people buy 24-32” external display now, and bigger. 
    Pretty sure s/he just meant they should do like they did with the iMac 24 - If they just took the new MBP logic board and slapped a 30" screen on it everyone would be happy.

May I ask if ProMotion on the new MacBooks applies only to the built-in monitor, or also any external monitors. And how would I know if my current external monitor on my Mac Mini would support ProMotion?
    ProMotion dynamically scales the refresh rate between 24Hz and 120Hz. The main advantage of this is to get the benefits of the higher refresh rate when needed while saving power when it's not needed. I don't know if HDMI (or Display port) protocols support dynamically scaling the refresh rate, but for desktop applications where battery power isn't limited there isn't much benefit to it.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    vedelppa said:
    vedelppa said:

dunno if there's a problem with your reading comprehension or you just make up things to throw **** on me?
    I interpreted your ragging on mini-LED display as the same issue.   Mini LED is much better than current LED backlighting and has advantages over OLED.  Apple looked at all the display tech and picked what was the best in terms of performance, price and availability.   We all know the future will be some form of micro LED  display tech but that is not available today.  
    williamlondonfastasleeproundaboutnow
  • Reply 13 of 29
    mike54 said:
    I wish Apple took its  Mac Mini seriously. I have no interest in iMac's as I find them wasteful, so the MAc Mini is the only choice left for a desktop. I hoping for a Mac Mini Pro with at least an M1 Max offering early next year. It should be a yearly upgrade like the iMacs and Macbooks.
    A headless 'prosumer' grade compact headless mac upgrade has been long on my list too, with the 2011 mini discrete gpu dual drive still in use. The latest MBP suggests cool running power in compact form is possible, and I had also wondered if a 2013 mac pro format redux might be in the works...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    mr lizard said:
    I was thinking the same thing. My Mac Mini (M1) - soon to be replaced by The new MacBook Pro 14” - has an LG 4K 32” display. The laptop will be mostly used in clamshell mode. Love that huge screen, full size keyboard (with number keys) and the Apple Trackpad.
  • Reply 15 of 29

mr lizard said:
    I ended up resolving to a 40" 4K curved display (not a TV) that matched the 110dpi of the Cinema and Thunderbolt displays which can then flank in portrait mode. I tried a 43" and found it too big for desktop distance.  The 40" also doubles as a desktop TV which is within range for ideal 4K resolution, and being 4K was very affordable and highly compatible (back to 2009 macs) if non-retina, and a true WYSIWYG for larger 'D' size format professional plotter work... For those keen on retina could a 40" 8K @ 220 dpi fill such a role ?
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 16 of 29
    I have a Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 iMac with a 1TB fusion drive and it has been an amazing machine that still runs Big Sur like a dream with a display to die for.  Bummer I can't upgrade the OS , but oh well.Never a glitch or any problems.
    Compared to my "work" computers that are Dell desktop POS that have been always troublesome with component ( power supply/hard disk/RAM) failures , every $ spent on the 'Apple Tax' has been repaid over and over. No wonder they show over and over that the TCO for Apple products is less than Windows machines.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 17 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    mike54 said:
    I wish Apple took its  Mac Mini seriously. I have no interest in iMac's as I find them wasteful, so the MAc Mini is the only choice left for a desktop. I hoping for a MAc Mini Pro with at least an M1 Max offering early next year. It should be a yearly upgrade like the iMacs and Macbooks.
    It isn’t wasteful tho - you can readily get 8+ years of use on an iMac; and then it’s recyclable. That’s far better use that any of my crappy plastic Dell work notebooks, which last a few years and likely are not recycled. 
    welshdogwilliamlondonAlex_V
  • Reply 18 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    loopless said:
    I have a Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 iMac with a 1TB fusion drive and it has been an amazing machine that still runs Big Sur like a dream with a display to die for.  Bummer I can't upgrade the OS , but oh well.Never a glitch or any problems.
    Compared to my "work" computers that are Dell desktop POS that have been always troublesome with component ( power supply/hard disk/RAM) failures , every $ spent on the 'Apple Tax' has been repaid over and over. No wonder they show over and over that the TCO for Apple products is less than Windows machines.
    Most of my customers have Lenovo devices (Thinkpads, ThinkStations, etc.) and have been excellent.  Some of them have +7 years and the still working without any issues.  And they offer onsite warranty, so no visits to stores o mail the device.  Maybe you should try them. 
  • Reply 19 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    I think Apple should copy what Lenovo does with their business AiO monitors.  The Mac Mini would be perfect for something like this.  This way you could extend the life of the monitor when upgrading your Mac.

• Reply 20 of 29
    vedelppa said:
    vedelppa said:

dunno if there's a problem with your reading comprehension or you just make up things to throw **** on me?
    Per-pixel dimming exists only in microLED and OLED. Is that not what you’re talking about?
    williamlondonroundaboutnow