Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro charger uses GaN to stay small

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    A little surprised there's not an upgrade option with an ethernet port.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    MplsP said:

to stay small

What does this even mean when it's clearly far larger than previous charger bricks?
    We’ll ‘small’ is relative. A ‘small’ elephant is gargantuan compared to a huge mouse. 

Clearly the point is that it is smaller than a traditional brick would have been. 
    Sure, compared to a product that doesn't exist? I can tell from the photo it's quite a bit larger than my 85W charger, presumably similarly to the 96W. "STAY" is the operative word here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:

to stay small

What does this even mean when it's clearly far larger than previous charger bricks?
    We’ll ‘small’ is relative. A ‘small’ elephant is gargantuan compared to a huge mouse. 

Clearly the point is that it is smaller than a traditional brick would have been. 
    Sure, compared to a product that doesn't exist? I can tell from the photo it's quite a bit larger than my 85W charger, presumably similarly to the 96W. "STAY" is the operative word here.
    How can you tell that?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    “The new 140W charger is being sold as a separate purchase to the MacBook Pros, at $99. That price excludes the $49 USB-C to MagSafe cable. “

My pre-order for the MBP M1-Max comes with the 140W charger.  Not sure what AI is smoking as the high end MBP seem to get the better charger.
    They’re just stating that it’s available separately. People lose them, break them, or they go bad. I also like to have chargers in different places so I don’t have to carry mine wherever I go, even if it’s on a different floor of my house.

but that’s not what they are saying.  In the article they are referencing the 67W and 96W chargers as “included”.

“A considerable jump from the 67W and 96W chargers included with the new notebooks….”

then they said: 

“ The new 140W charger is being sold as a separate purchase to the MacBook Pros, at $99. That price excludes the $49 USB-C to MagSafe cable. ”

So their article specifics you get the 67W or 96W included but have to buy the 140W charger separately, which is not the case from Apple’s website and order.
    What? That’s not how I read it.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    nicholfd said:
    TB4 standard only allows/support 100W.

Isn't TB4 based on USB4 power delivery specs? Those allow 240W (as per Power Delivery v. 3.1). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    “The new 140W charger is being sold as a separate purchase to the MacBook Pros, at $99. That price excludes the $49 USB-C to MagSafe cable. “

My pre-order for the MBP M1-Max comes with the 140W charger.  Not sure what AI is smoking as the high end MBP seem to get the better charger.
    They’re just stating that it’s available separately. People lose them, break them, or they go bad. I also like to have chargers in different places so I don’t have to carry mine wherever I go, even if it’s on a different floor of my house.

but that’s not what they are saying.  In the article they are referencing the 67W and 96W chargers as “included”.

“A considerable jump from the 67W and 96W chargers included with the new notebooks….”

then they said: 

“ The new 140W charger is being sold as a separate purchase to the MacBook Pros, at $99. That price excludes the $49 USB-C to MagSafe cable. ”

So their article specifics you get the 67W or 96W included but have to buy the 140W charger separately, which is not the case from Apple’s website and order.
    That is literally what it says, though. It implies that the new notebooks come with 67W and 96W power supplies. But the 16" MacBooks Pro *all* come with the 140W brick. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    spheric said:
    nicholfd said:
    TB4 standard only allows/support 100W.

Isn't TB4 based on USB4 power delivery specs? Those allow 240W (as per Power Delivery v. 3.1). 
    TB4/USB4 does not include PD v3.1 - only an older version.  They are limited to 100W.
    MplsPsphericfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

to stay small

How can you tell that?
    By looking at them with my eyes?

I meant 87W charger (from my 2018 MBP), but it's the exact same size as the 96W.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    spheric said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

then they said: 

That is literally what it says, though. It implies that the new notebooks come with 67W and 96W power supplies. But the 16" MacBooks Pro *all* come with the 140W brick. 
    Yep, just re-read it and it indeed suggests this is a separate purchase. Weird.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

to stay small

How can you tell that?
    By looking at them with my eyes?

I meant 87W charger (from my 2018 MBP), but it's the exact same size as the 96W.

I was looking at the AI article. From the picture you just posted, the 140W charger looks to be about the same size as the 96W charger (slightly narrower but also slightly taller.) That means you're getting almost 50% more power from the same size package. That seems pretty good to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    spheric said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

then they said: 

Yep, just re-read it and it indeed suggests this is a separate purchase. Weird.
    Well, since I know it comes with the computer, since I ordered one, and Apple ALWAYS includes one, it didn’t read that way to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    MplsP said:
    I don't use ethernet much but it would've been nice if the charger came with an Ethernet port like the iMac, for high speed data transfer.
    Yeah that would've been nice but I doubt the MagSafe port on the computer has any other connections besides power and with the 3 TB ports and the HDMI/SD card slot there probably wasn't another port available to use. I'm sure Apple figured that Ethernet use for a laptop is less common and those who use it often sit at a desktop with a dock or hub. (Ironically, I'm writing this at work in a conference room where I plugged my MBP in to the ethernet with a USB C adapter!)

If that feature is something you'd use on a regular basis you're probably better off getting a portable hub.

Probably not, but it does have a lot more pins than required. I suppose redundancy, but maybe not.
    watto_cobra