Control iTunes with keyboard?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, I used Synergy before, but the newest version requires you to register. Me beeing from Switzerland, not having a credit card and such makes paying those $5 a little bit, shall I say, 'painfully'?

So, right now I'm looking something to replace Synergy. Synergy allowed me to, lemme quote:
Quote:

put three buttons to control iTunes in your menubar: previous track, next track, and play/pause; as well as providing you with visual feedback about the currently playing tune.

What are your recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You can also use a macro program like Keyboard Maestro to create a global iTunes shortcut, for, say Pause/Play. It works pretty well.

K.M. offers something like 10 or 20 macros in its free lite version.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    yeah, or iKey. but thank you for your suggestion-
  • Reply 4 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

alright...

http://www.pth.com/PTHiTunesNotifier/

This is a great app. It takes some time to get it looking right (the defaults look like shit), but it's awesome once you get it the way you want. And I can rate my songs as I hear them. It's sweet.

• Reply 5 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I like the idea of PTH a lot, but found it stuttered badly on my (admittedly slightly unpowered) iBook 500 when the system was under heavy use.

I'll have to give the latest version a try, though, and see if performance has improved...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    could you be so kind and send me the text file of your config and a screenshot to my email?

Or just post it in here.

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

could you be so kind and send me the text file of your config and a screenshot to my email?

Or just post it in here.

Thanks.

Me? Sure. I'll email you.

-t
  • Reply 8 of 9
  • Reply 9 of 9
    works muy muy bene. Thanks again!