Buy iMAC now or wait for 970's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

i have been using Wintel all my life and now i want to try something different. I want to buy an iMAC but i have heard that the 970 is on its way. I am very uncertain if i should buy a G4 1Ghz iMAC or wait a few months to buy an 970 iMAC. What do you think? Will it take a long time for new 970 iMAC to come out?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    The iMac was updated about 70 days ago. The product cycle is usually around 200 days. The PowerMac is fairly close, but about 1-2 weeks closer to being updated, and considering the PowerMac has gone through many stopgap releases in the past year and a half, the next update is likely to be substantial in nature (i.e. change in CPU and mobo). Plus, if the 970 ever does come to fruition in the next 6 months, as with most new things, it'll come to the pro side before the consumer side, as technology trickles down through the lineup.

So, buy your iMac, the 970 is a significant number of months away. If you need and want your iMac now, get it now. If in 4.5 months a new iMac comes out, and the top model has a 970 in it, that won't have any effect on the performance or usefulness of your iMac. Value, maybe a little--but you could always be like Murbot and sell right before the new ones come, then buy another one and even make a profit.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    If you can buy a 17" iMac now, do it. It's fantastic value for money, it should last 3 or 4 years (depending on what you use it for).

...Unlike the 15", which sucks... get an eMac if you want a cheap Mac, you will get more for less.

What I would like to know is what you plan on using the computer for. An eMac or low end Power Mac might be more suitable.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 12
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

What I would like to know is what you plan on using the computer for. An eMac or low end Power Mac might be more suitable.

Barto [/B]

I just want to play around with the new OS X. Very irrational reasons I love to see something different. The design of the imac is more attractive to me than a crt emac, even if its much more expensive!

Regards,

Peter
  • Reply 4 of 12
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I second what others said above, equinox. Life's too short to wait and PPC 970-based iMacs are 4-5 months away at the very least. The current 1Ghz iMac is a great value, I'm considering one myself.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

If you can buy a 17" iMac now, do it. It's fantastic value for money, it should last 3 or 4 years (depending on what you use it for).

...Unlike the 15", which sucks... get an eMac if you want a cheap Mac, you will get more for less.

Barto

Right the 15 inch i mac sucks (old design), but the 17" is fine. Buy a 17 inch and you will be happy.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Another vote for 17" iMac. Mine is 2 weeks old now... loving it!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    If you really are just "being curious", you might also want to consider a second hand Flat panel iMac. There are hitting the second-hand sites now. I picked one up (G4 700, 512 MB RAM and combo drive) for ? 950 two weeks ago .

I am a perfectly happy camper with it and it has cost me the same (or even less) as a cheapo windoze box.

Which is nice
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Thank you for your opinions. I will order my G41Ghz17" today! Could not resist the Widescreen 17" TFT !

Looking forward to that!!!

Peter
  • Reply 9 of 12
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I am so in the same boat at the moment, my DVSE500 is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I am moving into a new house soon that doesnt have ADSL yet so maybe I will wait til that is available then get a new machine then, 970's might be out by then
  • Reply 10 of 12
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I am so in the same boat at the moment, my DVSE500 is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I am moving into a new house soon that doesnt have ADSL yet so maybe I will wait til that is available then get a new machine then, 970's might be out by then

Well, i think the new 970 will be a bit more expensive then the g4s or it could be that the g4 will fall in price and the 970 will be sold at the actual g4 price!? Who knows... it's really difficult not the make something wrong. i mean i can't afford it to buy a new mac every year \

Regards,

Peter
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rara Posts: 623member
    I'd buy an iMac... not an iMAC... don't know what those are, but iMacs are nice.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    your FP 17" iMac will last many years....

g