All the features missing from iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey at launch

Posted:
in iOS
Universal Control and SharePlay are only two of the surprising number of features promised for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey that failed to arrive at launch - or that have still yet to appear. Here's what to you can expect to arrive in the fall.

How Universal Control on iPadOS 15 and macOS 12 works

Once macOS Monterey is officially released on October 25, that will be all of Apple's new operating systems for the year. Except, none of them launched complete, all of them lacked certain promised features.

That is partly because iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey had certain features that were shared between them all. So the most visible omission from iPadOS 15, for instance, was Universal Control, because that needed macOS Monterey.

Only, macOS Monterey is not going to include Universal Control on October 25. Nor will we see SharePlay, the FaceTime feature that will allow users to share media live and talk to each other at the same time.

That is promised for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, macOS Monterey, tvOS 15, and even watchOS 8. In every case, the features are said to be coming later in updates, and some have already been seen in betas.

Oddities

For once, Apple's documentation seems to be out of kilter over Find My support in AirPods and AirPods Max. It was announced as being pushed back and then it was introduced.

Yet Apple still lists it as "Coming later this fall."

Similarly, while Apple appears to have big ambitions for CarPlay, smaller updates seem to be escaping attention.

Apple Maps has gained improved navigation on iPhone, but Apple says those features won't be in CarPlay yet.

"Explore cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London with unprecedented detail for elevation, roads, trees, buildings, landmarks, and more," it says. "Road details like turn lanes and crosswalks and 3D views for complex interchanges help you navigate."

"CarPlay support coming in a software update later this year," it then says.

Only, CarPlay does seem to be showing new iOS 15 navigation features already, such as indicating how long traffic delays are expected to take.

Features missing from all OSes at launch

1. Digital Legacy Program

2. App Privacy Report

Aside from Universal Control, and SharePlay, these two are features that should be arriving cross-platform. And of them, App Privacy Report has now made an appearance, even though Apple officially says it's still "Coming Soon."

App Privacy Report is a new section in Settings on iOS in iOS 15.0.2, which "shows how often your location, photos, camera, microphone and contacts have been accessed during the last seven days."

The Digital Legacy program, "coming in a software update to iOS 15," is for designating specific people as "Legacy Contacts so they can access your account and personal information in the event of your death."

Apple again says it's coming, but has a website for it. Clicking on Learn More takes you to a general support page which, at time of writing, doesn't even mention it.

SharePlay coming to a device near you
SharePlay coming to a device near you

Driver's licences might need renewing before they are on iPhone

Although listed as an iOS 15 feature, and despite certain states announcing support, we're not going to see drivers' licences on iPhones just yet.

The feature is officially called ID in Wallet, as it covers more than solely drivers' licences. But it's also officially listed as being "Available late 2021."

Photos revamp for Mac

1. Photos: Memories: Fresh New Look

2. Photos: Memories: Memory Looks

3. Photos: Memories: Interactive Interface

4. Photos: Memories: Browse View

5. Photos: Memories: New Memory Types

6. Photos: Memories: Watch Next

7. Photos: Shared with You

That's a lot of features to be listed as "coming later this fall" on macOS Monterey. But you can seemingly see them all in Photos on iOS 15, and iPadOS 15.

Although speaking of photos and the like, the very first thing Apple said at the launch of ProRes video on the iPhone 13 was that we wouldn't be seeing it until later this year.

Smaller, more niche missing features

Tim Cook does keep insisting that Apple AR is vital, but a promised related feature was not included at the launch of iOS 15.

RealityKit 2, which is Apple's new "3D rendering, physics, and spatial audio engine," won't be around until late 2021.

Perhaps sooner than that, though, there will be Fall Detection for Workouts on Apple Watch. The Watch already has general fall detection, and Apple has made a big deal about it being able to register when users fall off a bike.

But the seemingly separate version for workouts is still officially listed as "coming later this fall."

When we will see these missing features

ProRes video has now been spotted in beta 3 of iOS 15.1, and it does look like that release is going to bring a great many missing features.

Most significantly, SharePlay appears on track to be included in iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1, and is in a beta update to macOS Monterey. SharePlay has also been included in tvOS 15.1 beta 2.

SharePlay is also coming to Apple Watch "later this fall." The Watch might not seem like an obvious place for SharePlay, but watchOS 8 and Apple Fitness+ will use it to set users "start a Group Workout from a group message thread, or FaceTime call."

There may be more

Strictly speaking, Apple's CSAM child protection features were promised for iOS 15, but rather than missing, they have been postponed.

That was an example of Apple revealing a major feature for iPhones, yet choosing not to do it at the iOS launch. It's not the only new feature to come in under the wire, either.

There's also vaccination cards in Apple Wallet. That doesn't appear in Apple's feature list for the Wallet in iOS 15, but the company has announced it for iOS 15.1.

So while not every missing feature has a promised new date, a great many are coming in iOS 15.1. More are listed as coming later this fall, some are available "late 2021."

Don't expect much gap between those two, however. While it might not seem it, the official end date for the fall is December 21.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    "none of them launched complete, all of them lacked certain promised features"

Should this raise the question of merit vs calendar based 'upgrades'...?

Before 2011 (again) macOS upgrades seemed more merit based, and sometimes spanned more than two years,
    also adding to and legacy support 
    continuity...
    FileMakerFellermarc gllama
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'd go as far as to say that there never needs to be another named upgrade. Just keep adding .1 updates when they're ready. At WWDC they can announce upcoming things they're working on and release them later. Kind of like they're doing now but without the pretense of a named upgrade.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellermarc gllama
  • Reply 3 of 7

While it is kind of weird PR on Apple's part, I'd rather they not release half baked versions. So I am good with this...
    marc g
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'd go as far as to say that there never needs to be another named upgrade. Just keep adding .1 updates when they're ready. At WWDC they can announce upcoming things they're working on and release them later. Kind of like they're doing now but without the pretense of a named upgrade.
    The only difficulty I see is the current "major version with new iPhones" habit. Everyone's used to the annual refresh of the iPhone, and so far new hardware has meant new capabilities with the OS upgrade providing those. It will be difficult to break that link.
    marc g
  • Reply 5 of 7
    As of writing this article, iOS 15.1 RC has been released which has a date for most the features on this list. Like SharePlay and ProRes
    marc gllamawilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 7
    For me, the disappointing stuff is Shortcuts on the Mac. I can't do the things I do on the iPhone as I can do on the Mac. There is no way to get current location, any numbers blocks, and mail only has email address blocks. Add to that there is no way to launch Shortcuts on the Mac, automatically. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    They took away the ability to make app icons the same large size as the previous OS. My wife is pretty angry about this (and now that she is listening to Podcasts, angry at how horrible the Apple Podcast app really and truly is). And yes, I know there is the button for larger icons in settings, but it does not even come close to making them as large as they were in IpadOS 14. I read that the beta at one point had a "bigger" button in settings for stepped size increases, but that has been removed. All this to make room for widgets?

Widgets are "cool" but I don't use them. They just don't fit how I interact with the OS. Same was true on the Mac with widgets there. Used them for a while and then just forgot about them. It also was pretty rude of Apple to place several widgets on our homscreens after the 15 upgrade without asking us if we wanted them. Sure we could easily remove them, but then immediately found out our icons were now tiny. I did some searching and it seems a lot of people are made about this icon size change.
    williamlondon