Apple Newton VideoPad prototype axed by Steve Jobs heads to auction block

Posted:
in General Discussion
A previously unseen Apple VideoPad 2, a video-centric companion to the MessagePad from the late '90s, headlines an auction of rare Apple devices in November.

Prototype Apple VideoPad 2 (source; Bonhams)
Prototype Apple VideoPad 2 (source; Bonhams)

Prototypes of 1990s Apple devices including a VideoPad have previously been circulated on eBay -- but only rarely. In November, the Apple VideoPad 2, a design reportedly never shown to the public, is part of a collection of rare items to be auctioned by Bonhams on November 3, 2021.

"[This is a] unique prototype design for the Apple VideoPad 2, the only surviving concept prototype for the VideoPad PDA," says the auction house's listing. "Three designs were put forward by Apple as VideoPad 1,2 and 3, developed in the period of 1993 to 1995 under CEO John Sculley."

"VideoPads 1 and 3 were the only examples shown to the public," it continues. "They were made from a conceptual design sketch drawn by Sculley."

Reportedly, the VideoPad was seen as a follow up to the Newton MessagePad, and was intended to feature video conferencing. However, it was cancelled along with all of the work on Newton products, by Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple in 1997.

Bonhams auction house has a guide price of between $8,000 and $12,000 for the prototype. It is being auctioned alongside a handwritten letter from Steve Jobs, plus prototypes of the Apple eMate 300, iPad, and Macintosh.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Ugly. How do people even get these to sell other than stealing them? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I had a Newton. I loved it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I zoomed in on its label and it appears that half of the "o" has fallen off making it look like it says "Videc Pad." That will impact its value.

But it is quite interesting that it was called a "Pad", and that name is still being used. I'm not a collector, but if I were I would pay $1000 for it (if its label was intact.) So the asking price ($8000) seems pretty reasonable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

it is not a prototype it is concept design, the difference is the prototype would have working parts inside, that is just the industrial design for a concept of what it could look like.

if that concept design would go for $8K t0 $12K i wonder what an actually working prototype of the first tablet with pen would go for today?

edited October 2021 watto_cobra