You need a $20 adapter upgrade to fast-charge Apple's base model 14-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2021
Apple's new M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pro models boast fast-charging capabilities for quick top-ups, but buyers of the base model 14-inch variant will need to spring for a power adapter upgrade to take advantage of the feature.

MacBook Pro Power Adapter

Both the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro can be fast-charged with a compatible power adapter, and Apple includes such hardware in most purchase configurations. That is not the case with the base 14-inch model, however, meaning users who want to access quick charging capabilities will need to purchase an upgrade at checkout or buy a separate adapter.

All 14-inch MacBook Pro models require a 96W adapter to perform a fast-charge, which can take the laptop from 0% to 50% charge in about 30 minutes, the company says on its website.

As noted on a tech specs webpage, the 14-inch MacBook Pro powered by an M1 Pro with 8-core CPU comes with a 67W USB-C power adapter in the box. That part is good enough for "efficient charging at home, in the office, or on the go," according to the company, but fast-charging is a non-starter.

For base model buyers, the requisite 96W USB-C adapter that is included with configurations powered by an M1 Pro with 10-core CPU or an M1 Max chip must be purchased as a $20 upgrade. The item costs $79 as a standalone purchase from the Apple Store and is currently out of stock.

With the proper equipment, users can fast-charge the 14-inch MacBook Pro through either a Thunderbolt 4 port or MagSafe 3.

A report earlier today noted that 16-inch MacBook Pro owners can only fast-charge via MagSafe 3, as the laptop's power requirements exceed the USB-C Power Delivery cap of 100W. Unlike base model 14-inch versions, however, all 16-inch configurations come ready to fast-charge with a 140W power brick in the box.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    Everyone will complain about it and everyone who complains about it will just drop another $20 for the better charger. They’re not going to just hand out every luxury item with their lowest tier Pro Book. Remember, you need a $19 polishing cloth to properly clean it. 
    marc g
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Well, to nitpick, it’s not an adapter, it’s a larger power supply. 

And as far as complaining goes, $20 for a power supply that’s 50% larger is incredibly reasonable 
    williamlondonpairof9mikeybabesmarc gcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    On a $2,000 BASE MODEL laptop? From a company with BILLIONS in reserve in Ireland? #greed
    williamlondonelijahgshareef777rrabuavon b7CloudTalkincuriousrun8
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm sure some people would prefer a smaller, lighter, more portable power supply. Fast charging may not be important to everyone on a laptop that already has 20+ hours battery life.
    williamlondonfred1marc gwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    That's OK, I already have a bunch of those for my current 16 inch MBP. I'm thinking of going to the 14 inch as it's smaller, lighter, and has no real disadvantage over the 16 inch (while the Intel ones had issues with GPUs, cores, etc...)
    marc gwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MplsP said:
    Well, to nitpick, it’s not an adapter, it’s a larger power supply. 

And as far as complaining goes, $20 for a power supply that’s 50% larger is incredibly reasonable 
    I agree...no matter how you spin it, Apple is balking at a $10-$12 part that makes it look cheap and/or greedy.

I get it for no adapter in a $250 AirPods product or a $330 iPad device, but really...$20 omission for a $2000 pro-level laptop?!!
    williamlondoncuriousrun8
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Why is it that the 14" model only uses a 96W adapter even with the M1 Max config? It seems like at peak performance the GPU power draw of the M1 Max is already 50W, so I wonder whether the performance is at all gimped. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    sloaah said:
    Why is it that the 14" model only uses a 96W adapter even with the M1 Max config? It seems like at peak performance the GPU power draw of the M1 Max is already 50W, so I wonder whether the performance is at all gimped. 
    It's more likely to do with the different battery than the chips. The 14" has a 70Wh battery, 16" has a 100Wh battery.

The fast charge feature is to charge the battery 50% in 30 minutes, that would need more power on the 16" than on the 14". The 16" would need 96W x 100/70 = ~140W.
    marc gMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    What could the incremental cost actually be if you're charging $20 for it? Maybe a couple of bucks, at most, and maybe even less? And what would be the economies of scale if Apple simply chose to make the one adapter, thereby simplifying the supply chain? I think Apple is charging the value proposition of fast charging here, and it smacks of greed.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Could be environmental reasons. Smaller power supply will draw less power in standby than a larger power supply. Fast charging isn’t that great on battery life. Less problems down the road, by not having everything fast charging. How many people really need fast charging? You have a long battery life as is and people having their laptop plugged in all the time don’t need fast charging. A new feature is suddenly mandatory for everyone to have or Apple is greedy? How many other laptops have fast charging? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Does AI have an article comparing all 14" models?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I ordered a base 14" and this does not bother me at all. For my use case I am not very concerned about fast charging to 50%, so I stayed with the 67 watt.
    Which means I saved $20!

Also, I already have some  compact GaN multi-outlet USB-C PD chargers to simultaneously charge my current 13" MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Those multi-outlet USB-PD chargers are great on a trip, I only have to pack one to charge everything. Apple makes nothing like that. Because of that, I don't really need another wall charger. When my 14" M1 Max gets here, I am not sure I am even going to take the Apple charger out of the box.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra