Apple's record-breaking holiday quarter financial streak is in danger

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's series of record-breaking quarterly earnings may be broken as supplies of nearly everything it sells -- including the iPhone 13 -- are constrained, leading to long delivery delays.

The new iPhone 13 in (PRODUCT)Red
The new iPhone 13 in (PRODUCT)Red

JP Morgan analyst Samik Chatterjee has already predicted that Apple's Q4 2021 earnings will be slightly lower than they should because of iPhone shortages. And Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives believes the company will see a strong quarter.

Now, however, Bloomberg claims that while Apple is expected to earn almost $120 billion in the quarter, that could be undercut by the "supply crunch."

The publication does not predict by what degree the earnings could fall short. However, it notes that it is not only the iPhone 13 range that is seeing delays, but most Apple devices. "Even some older devices, including the iMac... are seeing delays," it says.

Bloomberg does not mention the new AirPods 3, which continue to be slated to be delivered on schedule.

The publication does state that the iPhone 13 Pro is "hard to find in every color, configuration and size." However, it then confirms that every configuration is available, it's just that new orders won't be delivered until between November 18 through November 26.

Unspecified Apple Store employees are referred to as believing the supply situation is the bleakest in years. Retail stores AppleInsider asked say that they are getting supplies in daily, but that it is unpredictable what will arrive, and in what quantity.

Bloomberg says that a majority of retail stores are seeing "little to no supply of most models [of iPhone 13]."

The supply constraints are believed to be because of the global chip shortage, which has been affecting Apple component suppliers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Guess this global chip shortage has even affected the APC (Apple Polishing Cloth) that is now unable to be delivered until sometime in January '22. I presume that due to the fact that Apple is having to push back delivery times on the APC, the introduction of the APC PRO will be affected as well...
    byronl
  • Reply 2 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    OH NO!!! OFF WITH TIM COOK’s HEAD! 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Is Bloomberg really a reliable source? They always seem so biased; lots of FUD. Am I wrong here?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    One thing President Biden can do to quickly solve the port congestion is by temporarily suspend tariffs Trump imposed on Chinese goods. 
    byronl
  • Reply 5 of 7
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    jas99 said:
    Is Bloomberg really a reliable source? They always seem so biased; lots of FUD. Am I wrong here?
    True!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    mobird said:
    Guess this global chip shortage has even affected the APC (Apple Polishing Cloth) that is now unable to be delivered until sometime in January '22. I presume that due to the fact that Apple is having to push back delivery times on the APC, the introduction of the APC PRO will be affected as well...
    Everyone’s  screens are going to be filthy by then. I hope there’ll be enough 3rd party manufacturers step in on Amazon to fill in the gap. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    One thing President Biden can do to quickly solve the port congestion is by temporarily suspend tariffs Trump imposed on Chinese goods. 
    The problem is the only port in the United States that’s not running 24/7 is in California where all the ships are sitting waiting to be unloaded for a month or more. Our port in Houston is where a lot of them are showing up now rather than sitting waiting for that jacked up mess to clear.