This is what the 2022 MacBook Air might look like

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
Renders showing what could be the new MacBook Air have been updated to include details from recent rumors, including the loss of the wedge design and the inclusion of the display notch.

2022 MacBook Air renders [via FrontPageTech]

Apple is expected to refresh the MacBook Air lineup with new chips and a redesign sometime in 2022, following after the MacBook Pro updates. Following an influx of rumors about the proposed notebook, new renders of what the model could look like have been published.

The latest renders, produced by RendersByIan and published by leaker Jon Prosser via his FrontPageTech site, imagine the thin-and-light MacBook Air as continuing the aesthetic, but rather than being considerably thick on one end and tapering down to the other, there doesn't appear to be any taper at all. The images seem to show the notebook as being an even thickness from back to front.

On one side, MagSafe 3 joins a Thunderbolt 4 port, while the other side has the Thunderbolt 4 port and a headphone jack. The keyboard includes full-size function keys, and the display is surrounded by a white bezel.

That display also has a small notch in the middle of the screen, though it is colored white to match the bezel.

As with previous renders from May, the images show the MacBook Air in a variety of colors, rather than the plain grey that Apple's MacBook lineup typically uses.

The MacBook Air is predicted to use a new chip, such as the "M2," with the display possibly using mini LED backlighting, though not ProMotion technology. The notched camera will apparently be a 1080p model, two external displays may be supported, and MagSafe charging could draw power from a 30W adapter.

There has also been the suggestion that Apple could change the name, resurrecting the "MacBook" title it last used in 2019.

Read on AppleInsider
Detnatorpatchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Hope they have a space gray version with black bezels and keyboard, but not holding my breath. Also, it’s almost 2022 – time to ditch the analog headphone jack, especially since it looks like this will be a structural weakness on a machine this thin. Imagining the bending videos now.

Thoughts on release dates? March event seems too soon for an M2 machine, especially if announced alongside M1 Pro/Max iMac Pro, could steal some of that thunder. WWDC seems like an odd time for a new Air. Hoping it does not get pushed all the way to a fall 2022 release! Maybe we can get the iMac Pro & Mini Pro in March and an M2 Air in April?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    B-Mc-C said:
    Hope they have a space gray version with black bezels and keyboard, but not holding my breath. Also, it’s almost 2022 – time to ditch the analog headphone jack, especially since it looks like this will be a structural weakness on a machine this thin. Imagining the bending videos now.

Thoughts on release dates? March event seems too soon for an M2 machine, especially if announced alongside M1 Pro/Max iMac Pro, could steal some of that thunder. WWDC seems like an odd time for a new Air. Hoping it does not get pushed all the way to a fall 2022 release! Maybe we can get the iMac Pro & Mini Pro in March and an M2 Air in April?
    I wouldn't expect any Macs based on the M2 family of SoC's to be released until all the Macs that are based on the M1 family are released and / or announced.  There are still three Macs that still haven't been updated to Apple Silicon.  The higher end iMac, higher end Mac Mini and Mac Pro.  The first two are supposedly coming out Spring 2022.  Not sure about the Mac Pro.
    aderutterbaconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Since the hardware has four thunderbolt channels, there is no reason why the Air could not have a total of three USB C thunderbolt ports with the fourth used for the smart power connector (it can also take ethernet). Expect to see several different dock like mag save power adapters appear for all Apple products appear over the next year.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I’m thinking 2 TB3 ports on the right side with the headphone jack?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Adding MagSafe 3 would be great and put it in line with the new MacBooks. Apple should also add a 45 or 50W GaN charger for the Mac Air replacement. 

Adding MagSafe 3 to MacBooks was genius since MacBooks are portable and can then use USB-C PD chargers. With higher charging/power wattage they can get fast charging and the MacBook Thunderbolt 4 ports get additional available power for peripherals or for fast charging iPhones etc. And, last but not least it frees up one Thunderbolt 4 port. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Hard to believe the new MBA would be that thin. That looks no more than 7 mm, with a display that is half a mm thick. No way.

Something like 10 mm thick. A 7mm thick body, which is iPad Pro thick, and a 3 mm display side. The display is going to be miniLED or LCD. Can't see how it can be thinner than 3 mm.

Hopefully there will be a 14.2" to 15" model. It would replace the current MBP13 at $1500 and $1800 price points really well. Hard to believe they can continue on with the MBP13 model.
    StrangeDaysh2p
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JackyChanJackyChan Posts: 13unconfirmed, member
    B-Mc-C said:
    Also, it’s almost 2022 – time to ditch the analog headphone jack, especially since it looks like this will be a structural weakness on a machine this thin.

F*#% that!! Bluetooth is the shiftiest strand of modern tech. Unreliable, misconnections, worries about charging. I will take a wired pair of headphones anytime… and so will the pro audiophiles.  It still goads me that my iPad Pro has no headphone Jack. 

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 15
    DangDave said:
    Adding MagSafe 3 would be great and put it in line with the new MacBooks. Apple should also add a 45 or 50W GaN charger for the Mac Air replacement. 

Adding MagSafe 3 to MacBooks was genius since MacBooks are portable and can then use USB-C PD chargers. With higher charging/power wattage they can get fast charging and the MacBook Thunderbolt 4 ports get additional available power for peripherals or for fast charging iPhones etc. And, last but not least it frees up one Thunderbolt 4 port. 
    Fast-charging is not the simple benefit it appears. Despite all the clever charging algorithms, there is no escaping the fact that faster charging deteriorates lithium batteries faster than slow charging. So their capacities reduce faster, e.g. you may get 500 cycles before capacity is reduced to 80% with clever fast charging, this could easily be doubled with slow charging. If you don't need a fast charge - don't do it. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 15
    timmillea said:
    DangDave said:

Fast-charging is not the simple benefit it appears. Despite all the clever charging algorithms, there is no escaping the fact that faster charging deteriorates lithium batteries faster than slow charging. So their capacities reduce faster, e.g. you may get 500 cycles before capacity is reduced to 80% with clever fast charging, this could easily be doubled with slow charging. If you don't need a fast charge - don't do it. 
    TRUE!  Unfortunately we don’t know how good or bad Apple’s fast charging “secret sauce” is, or if there is a way to turn it off in settings or somewhere else?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Realistic design predictions I think.

Although I have an Mac Intel pro laptop now, I think this is probably the one I’d buy, since the M1 provides plenty of power, so the M2 will suffice even more. 
    The Pro laptops offer almost too much power and ports me now and I rather buy a “pro” Mac desktop instead to offer that.

With the excellent chips Apple has created, I hope that their next target is improving their gaming strategy. I want to play games! 

• Reply 11 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    “MacBook” name will return. “Air” has run its course.
    No miniLED, no ProMotion
    Two TB4 ports, MagSafe for power.
    12” and 14” models
    12” will be passively cooled.
    Multiple colors that match the iMac.
    patchythepirateurashid
  • Reply 12 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Missing SD Card.

Want thin and light, hate dongles, want SD Card.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mjtomlin said:
    “MacBook” name will return. “Air” has run its course.
    No miniLED, no ProMotion
    Two TB4 ports, MagSafe for power.
    12” and 14” models
    12” will be passively cooled.
    Multiple colors that match the iMac.
    MacBook Air name will remain because for marketing purposes it exaggerates the thin and light nature of the product to separate it further from the Pro product in the minds of customers. Besides, I think it's a cooler name. I doubt it will come in two sizes, but you never know. If it comes in one size I sure hope it's 14.2".
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 14 of 15
    timmillea said:
    DangDave said:

Good point.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Many moons ago Apple had a patent for a magnetic headphone jack that held the plug in place with magnets.
    Yet can't seem to find it now. There is a Microsoft one that is kinda cool and would work as well. Not surface mount but the socket is a sock that holds the plug to the pins but is flat when not used. 

Anyway, no feet are shown in the renders but when stacked each MacBook sits separately like the device has feet.