Apple again reported to be working on blood glucose monitoring for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A new report claims that suppliers are developing a blood glucose monitor with Apple, using short-wavelength infrared sensors intended for the Apple Watch.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider


Apple has repeatedly been predicted to be adding a blood glucose monitoring system to Apple Watch, to the extent that it was at one point strongly, and erroneously, rumored to be in the Apple Watch Series 7. Now a new report repeats similar rumors, but also says that Apple is working with component suppliers on a particular technique.

According to Digitimes, companies Ennostar and Taiwan Asia Semiconductor (TAS, formerly Opto Tech) are working on components that will use short-wavelength infrared LED. The system would reportedly be used for several types of biosensing, including blood glucose.

Digitimes has a strong record for its industry sources, however it also has a far poorer one for the conclusions it draws from that information.

This report, however, does fit with one prior patent application from Apple, which describes a similar system.

Plus, Apple supplier Rockley Photonics has more recently demonstrated a prototype using infrared spectrophotometers. The prototype is intended for other health companies to use as a reference design, but images of it show the wrist device having an Apple Watch band.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    dk49dk49 Posts: 185member
    Any report on when are we likely to see this tech in the Apple watch?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,355member
    Please do this Apple! As someone who wears a Libre Freestyle, I can tell you this makes all the difference in diabetics to manage their sugar. But having to put one on every 14 days if it even stays on that long is expensive. I will once again wear an Apple watch because that would be world-changing for me.
    llama
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    dk49 said:
    Any report on when are we likely to see this tech in the Apple watch?
    IF (and only if) the rumors are true, and they begin manufacturing now, that would mean with AppleWatch 8 in a little bit less than a year. 

    Of course, when the software actually supports the functionality is an entirely different question, as that might depend on regulatory approval…
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Rumors are always the same. Apple working on next iPhone without notch. Apple working on glucose monitor for watch. Apple working on next iPhone with Face ID and Touch ID. Apple working on bigger iPad. It’s like a spaghetti of wish lists until something sticks and then it’s…I told you. 
    dk49
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dk49dk49 Posts: 185member
    rcfa said:
    dk49 said:
    Any report on when are we likely to see this tech in the Apple watch?
    IF (and only if) the rumors are true, and they begin manufacturing now, that would mean with AppleWatch 8 in a little bit less than a year. 

    Of course, when the software actually supports the functionality is an entirely different question, as that might depend on regulatory approval…
    Yes as always that's a big IF. Though the report also mentions "several types of biosensing including blood glucose". Wonder what those other bio sensors are? If these other biosensing techniques also debut along with the blood glucose monitor in the watch 8, it will be a huge upgrade. People will be dumping their existing apple watches to get the series 8. Though given Apple's history, I doubt that they will debut multiple major health sensors in the same iteration.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 10,708member
    The biggest beneficiaries to this would not be diabetics -- but the many millions of  diabetics and pre-diabetics that don't know that they have or will have diabetes -- very similar to the EKG function of the watch:   it's biggest benefit is to those who have A-Fib but don't know it.

    Depending on implementation, the other big beneficiary could be serious endurance athletes who could measure their glucose levels as they perform and maintain them in the proper range and prevent "bonking".
  • Reply 7 of 9
    llamallama Posts: 100member
    jkichline said:
    Please do this Apple! As someone who wears a Libre Freestyle, I can tell you this makes all the difference in diabetics to manage their sugar. But having to put one on every 14 days if it even stays on that long is expensive. I will once again wear an Apple watch because that would be world-changing for me.
    Dexcom G6 user here and I am definitely waiting for one sort of glucose monitoring before I move to am Apple Watch.  Heck, if the G7 comes out next year and can be read directly by the AW instead of needing my iPhone I may make the jump.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 10,708member
    llama said:
    jkichline said:
    Please do this Apple! As someone who wears a Libre Freestyle, I can tell you this makes all the difference in diabetics to manage their sugar. But having to put one on every 14 days if it even stays on that long is expensive. I will once again wear an Apple watch because that would be world-changing for me.
    Dexcom G6 user here and I am definitely waiting for one sort of glucose monitoring before I move to am Apple Watch.  Heck, if the G7 comes out next year and can be read directly by the AW instead of needing my iPhone I may make the jump.  

    I thought those things already showed on an Apple Watch?  In any case, it should!  If it can display on an iPhone there's little (techinical) reason why it couldn't on an Apple Watch.
    In any case, I would bet that the reading would be more accurate (having access to body fluids) than an Apple Watch could ever do with an external sensor.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,820member
    IF (and it's a big "if") Apple is able to figure out glucose monitoring on the Apple Watch will be the day I buy an Apple Watch and will load up on more AAPL.  The Apple Watch is already a game change, but this will transform it to a true medical device and it will be huge.

    As a diabetic myself, I'm so tired of the needle prick.  If anyone is able to figure it out, it's Apple.
Sign In or Register to comment.