Apple releases iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1 with SharePlay, vaccine cards in Wallet

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2021
Apple has released iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1, incremental updates to the company's iOS 15 platform that contain new features like verifiable Covid-19 vaccination support in Wallet.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The new software updates are currently available as free over-the-air downloads on compatible iPhone and iPads. They can be acquired by heading to General and Software Update in the Settings app.

Although a point release, iOS 15.1 brings new features to Apple's smartphones and tablets. For example, users can now store verifiable Covid-19 vaccination records in the Wallet app for easy presenting at businesses or other locations.

In addition, iOS 15.1 also introduces some features that were absent from the initial release of iOS 15, including SharePlay, which lets users stream content with others over a FaceTime call.

As with all of the company's software updates, iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1 also contain under-the-hood improvements and bug fixes.

The build number of the release iOS 15.1 is 19B74.

Read on AppleInsider
beowulfschmidt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Also updates to 15.1 for the HomePods.

Hope the new capabilities will work from within the Home app (like humidity and light sensors).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Thanks for reporting the build number!!! 🙏🏻
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    In all my years I’ve never had an issue upgrading as soon as an update drops. My iPhone 11 Pro Max is asking me to connect to my computer!! Anyone else having issues?  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    With PA not yet participating I’ll stick with the NYC Covid app (NYC Covid Safe) that just allows fast access to photos of my ID and vaccination record card. Even when they do (if) my understanding is the vendor needs hardware to scan for verification, so the image will still be necessary I expect, much like a physical credit card is necessary for backup when a vendor doesn’t have the nfc ApplePay capable hardware. 

ETA: ^ do you have a capacity problem? I could see needing to connect if your iPhone is full. Though I’d expect something less cryptic as a message. 
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    JFC_PA said:
    With PA not yet participating I’ll stick with the NYC Covid app (NYC Covid Safe) that just allows fast access to photos of my ID and vaccination record card. Even when they do (if) my understanding is the vendor needs hardware to scan for verification, so the image will still be necessary I expect, much like a physical credit card is necessary for backup when a vendor doesn’t have the nfc ApplePay capable hardware. 

ETA: ^ do you have a capacity problem? I could see needing to connect if your iPhone is full. Though I’d expect something less cryptic as a message. 
    Why not just stick those in a pinned Note? Not sure what that app gains you. The Wallet thing will be a card with a QR code that can be scanned with a verification app if needed, it won’t require NFC hardware. But maybe that’ll be a thing as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I notice that this release includes security updates. Apple promised to provide security updates for iOS 14, similar to how they do with previous macOS releases. This is the third iOS 15 release with security updates with no corresponding updates for iOS 14. Has Apple reneged on their promise? It sure looks like it to me.

watto_cobra