macOS Monterey review: A compelling refinement of Big Sur

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    I won't be rushing.  No features of any interest; I tried Focus mode and Tab Groups already and both were a waste of time.
    Perhaps you should move to Windows 11. I hear it’s amazing and has many features of interest to you.
    What's the point of saying that?  I don't want to use Windows, I want to use macOS.  Not rushing to upgrade to the latest version doesn't make me your enemy.  There's no need to be so sour and unpleasant every waking moment.
    And there's no need for you to be perpetually negative. All you ever do is throw shade at Apple. Bah, humbug, I don’t need or want it is your constant mantra. 90% of all comments on this blog are negative, period. Anyone who shows enthusiasm for an Apple product is labeled a fanboy. Gotta maintain that negativity at all costs. It’s the “Apple can do no wrong” mirror image. Stay negative.

C|net finally saw the light and turned off their comment function. No more constant belittling of users of other platforms, especially Apple and its users. Many news sites have also shut off the comment section. AppleInsider should consider doing the same. The arguments, opinions, expert-wannabes pontificating drive away readers. Readership would likely increase if comments were turned off. They serve no function.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonmacplusplusGeorgeBMacikir
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Bigger question for me - HOW do you get it? LOL. Running an early 2015 MBA and a 2017 iMac (both are supported from what I've read), and can't seem to find the update. Not in the App Store. Not via Software Update. Nada. Should I be counting my blessings?
    Found it:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-monterey/id1576738294?mt=12
  • Reply 23 of 59
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I’m just hoping it doesn’t break half the unix tools I use as every major version of late has done. Apple insists on moving, changing, deprecating and generally fiddling with core components for every release. They included an ancient version of Python 3 with Big Sur which wouldn’t work with USB-serial converters anymore, because their own USB-serial drivers were incompatible with it. The drivers worked fine as kernel extensions, but apparently we’re all too dumb and irresponsible to be allowed to use kexts so Apple gifted us half-finished driver extensions instead. 
    cat52
  • Reply 24 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    I won't be rushing.  No features of any interest; I tried Focus mode and Tab Groups already and both were a waste of time.
    Perhaps you should move to Windows 11. I hear it’s amazing and has many features of interest to you.
    What's the point of saying that?  I don't want to use Windows, I want to use macOS.  Not rushing to upgrade to the latest version doesn't make me your enemy.  There's no need to be so sour and unpleasant every waking moment.
    And there's no need for you to be perpetually negative. All you ever do is throw shade at Apple. Bah, humbug, I don’t need or want it is your constant mantra. 90% of all comments on this blog are negative, period. Anyone who shows enthusiasm for an Apple product is labeled a fanboy. Gotta maintain that negativity at all costs. It’s the “Apple can do no wrong” mirror image. Stay negative.

C|net finally saw the light and turned off their comment function. No more constant belittling of users of other platforms, especially Apple and its users. Many news sites have also shut off the comment section. AppleInsider should consider doing the same. The arguments, opinions, expert-wannabes pontificating drive away readers. Readership would likely increase if comments were turned off. They serve no function.
    Then why are you even here?  Save your blood pressure and don't go on negative forums if they bother you so much.  You don't exactly brighten the place up with the incessant sniping.

And I'm not nearly as negative as you say.  I've been very positive about the new MacBook Pros, am excited for the arrival of my M1 Max 14" in November, and have said so.  And I think I may well buy an iPhone 12 mini and/or an iPad mini soon too, though am hesitating over whether I have the use for it to match the desire.  My general position is Apple hardware good, Apple software good-ish, but on a worryingly wobbly trend.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 25 of 59
    I've been experiencing some cosmetic issues after updating. The wallpaper was replaced by a black screen and some app icons are missing.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Windows 11 is pretty darn good actually.
    I haven't even been able to try it on my son's gaming PC because it says I don't have a TPM (even though I specifically enabled it in the BIOS and it's a brand new motherboard).  What a mess that (and the whole 1980s era BIOS configuration) is.  Hopefully they finally eliminated the multiple layers of settings you need to go through.

OTOH, upgrading to Monterey was a breeze by comparison.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    elijahg said:
    I’m just hoping it doesn’t break half the unix tools I use as every major version of late has done. Apple insists on moving, changing, deprecating and generally fiddling with core components for every release. They included an ancient version of Python 3 with Big Sur which wouldn’t work with USB-serial converters anymore, because their own USB-serial drivers were incompatible with it. The drivers worked fine as kernel extensions, but apparently we’re all too dumb and irresponsible to be allowed to use kexts so Apple gifted us half-finished driver extensions instead. 
    Homebrew is the best way to go if you need the latest UNIX tools.  Apple's versions always tend to be out of date.
    elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 59
    DAalseth said:
    I’ll update, but really only to keep currant. Everyone is crowing about Focus. I don’t use DND so an improved DND is just of no interest. The Privacy improvements are good. I never turn up my nose at improved privacy/security. TBH the rest of the list is interesting but I doubt I’ll use them much. 

EDIT: To make it clear, I hope that this ends up being this decades Snow Leopard. Refined and rock solid. The standard we compare the next ten or so releases to. I don’t see a lot of the new features as being of much interest, but I am pleased by all the talk about back end improvements, and refinements. 
    Agreed Snow Leopard was one of the best releases

My preference is always a 2 release cycle, 1st release new features, 2nd refines the features and optimises performance so the changes are more gradual but the OS says solid.
    elijahg
  • Reply 29 of 59
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

You seem to thrive from attacking others who air their concerns or any issues they have. If you're so thin skinned you can't deal with the fact that Apple does have its faults, and you say AI should shut down its comment section, why don't you just... leave? No one is forcing you to come here and defend Apple's every move. You can just read the article, and move on. But you won't.
    muthuk_vanalingamuraharaTRAGMplsP
  • Reply 30 of 59
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

Then why are you even here?  Save your blood pressure and don't go on negative forums if they bother you so much.  You don't exactly brighten the place up with the incessant sniping.

And I'm not nearly as negative as you say.  I've been very positive about the new MacBook Pros, am excited for the arrival of my M1 Max 14" in November, and have said so.  And I think I may well buy an iPhone 12 mini and/or an iPad mini soon too, though am hesitating over whether I have the use for it to match the desire.  My general position is Apple hardware good, Apple software good-ish, but on a worryingly wobbly trend.
    That's what I don't understand about people like Ikrupp, StrangeDays, Williamlondon and a few others: we're not "attacking" Apple because we're trying to bring it down. We're discussing issues and problems in the hope Apple will pay some attention and fix the problems we experience. We want them fixed to make a better product, and a better Apple. We wanted a Macbook with HDMI, Magsafe and SD, and many of us are saying how great it is and defending Apple against the few who moan that they've got extra ports they're not going to use (oh no!). But post reservations about one issue such as the notch for example, and you're a "hater" and should just "get a pc" according to these fanatics. They can't see how absurd they are being, and because of that no one takes them at all seriously. I don't think Strangedays has once ever encountered a bug! The obsessiveness is quite sad really.
    muthuk_vanalingamcrowley
  • Reply 31 of 59
    auxio said:
    elijahg said:
    Homebrew is the best way to go if you need the latest UNIX tools.  Apple's versions always tend to be out of date.
    I use Homebrew extensively - but thanks for the tip :) It's more things like the kext/dext transition I mentioned, deciding to restrict access to even more system APIs,  files or directories, changing paths so that scripts break or need to be rewritten. I often use open source programs where support is almost a token gesture, and it often takes a lot of work to get compiled apps running again because weird bugs appear due to the above. Compiling is worse since Apple seems to put the header files and libraries in a hat with each major version of the OS and pick out ones it continues to supply. And then shuffles the paths of those around too.
  • Reply 32 of 59

Now where can we find a direct link to the dmg on apple.com?
  • Reply 33 of 59
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Windows 11 is pretty darn good actually.
    What is so good? The underlying windows 95 code? The still mess settings + control panel?
    Apple give us for free many major changes and other little ones to improve productivity and life but users always whine.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 59
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    No reason to be like that. I’m not at all interested in Focus Mode or Tab Groups either, but I’m staying with Mac. No reason to move from a Mercedes to a Kia because you don’t like the color of the carpet.
    You're one of my favourites,I love your posts, btw, but I have to disagree with you on this. He's responding to the consummate negative nelly on this forum, never a positive thing to say, everything framed in the negative, finally I had to block, couldn't handle the toxic incessant negative postings. If you never noticed, you will now.
    Well, ok, I can see that. I didn’t realize that’s what we were dealing with here. 
    I’m a believer though in the old adage Don’t Feed the Troll. There’s a guy like that over on 9to5. Most of his comments are just laughable stupid, and a few try to engage with him. I just blocked him. Trolls want people to argue and call them names.
    ikir
  • Reply 35 of 59
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    The Monterey Live Text feature is amazing (I've been trying it in the Beta for months) and not only do I use it, but I have written Shortcuts that use it, and shell scripts that use Shortcuts that use it, and other code also. I can automate so many things with Live Text it has changed my life. I'm using so much OCR that I'm thinking of upgrading to the M1 Pro which I think has a 3x faster Neural Engine. Because I think OCR uses that engine.

Tab groups in Safari are a real pain to use. I keep accidentally closing pages in tab, or clicking on a link on a page in a tab, and then the page is lost. The design is horrible. And sometimes I have the same tab group open in multiple Safari windows, and then when you click on a video in one of them, all the other windows play the same video simultaneously, and the sound is slightly overlapped in each window. It takes a while to realize what's wrong, because the video being played just sounds like it's echoing. It sounds like the speakers are broken. Horrid!
  • Reply 36 of 59
    How do I get it to install? It fails on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro.  This is what I get after rebooting.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    How do I get it to install? It fails on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro.  This is what I get after rebooting.
    Launch "Disk Utility" and look at what your disk's file format "type" is. I'm just saying that because that's what the error message seems to be saying. Or maybe that's the error you get when you don't have enough free space on the disk.

Your windows look similar to mine. Maybe we are neighbours. Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me. Twice on the pipes if the answer is no.
    elijahgFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Bigger question for me - HOW do you get it? LOL. Running an early 2015 MBA and a 2017 iMac (both are supported from what I've read), and can't seem to find the update. Not in the App Store. Not via Software Update. Nada. Should I be counting my blessings?
    Look under "Apple Menu" -> software update.  Where you get the OS updates, you will see an option to update to the new OS.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Was the review done on an M1 Mac? I have the first 5K iMac and was wondering of there are any fundamental differences in functionality on the Intel Macs.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Was the review done on an M1 Mac? I have the first 5K iMac and was wondering of there are any fundamental differences in functionality on the Intel Macs.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/23/macos-monterey-features-intel-incompatible/
    bestkeptsecret