HomePod 15.1 update brings Apple Music Lossless & Dolby Atmos support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
An update for the HomePod mini and HomePod has been issued by Apple, with HomePod Software Version 15.1 adding Lossless support along with Dolby Atmos to the company's smart speakers.

At the time of launching Apple Music Lossless and Spatial Audio, Apple said HomePod mini and HomePod would gain support at a later time. With Monday's update, the speakers gain those very features.

Surfacing in a September beta update, HomePod Software Version 15.1 brings back the features that were previously intended for Software Version 15, but were pulled before its official release.

Lossless Audio enables the playback of high-fidelity streams from Apple Music, offered at higher bitrates than the normal versions. This will consume more data than normal for an audio stream, which could impact data allowances for home broadband connections.

Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio presents a 3D effect for music playback, dividing up the channels so music can effectively surround the user, with sounds coming from different directions.

It is likely that the update will also include support for the new HomePod mini color options, which will start shipping in November.

HomePod and HomePod mini users can check for the update and manually install it by opening the Home app, selecting the HomePod, and scrolling down to find the update prompt.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Does this update fix the issue with HomePod pairs being used with ATV for audio being deaf to Siri requests otherwise?
    williamlondonkiehtanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Testing that right now.  Shame AppleInsider hasn’t :(. Give me 15 mins or so.
    williamlondonkiehtangeorge kaplanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    YES!  It seems to have done!  Thank god!  
    williamlondonkiehtanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Is Reduced Bass a new option? I have the original HomePods.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    mobird said:
    It’s a new option.
    and a very welcome one in certain rooms and circumstances…
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I’m sure I had that option yesterday.
    12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    It was there last night. Used it. Grateful for the option when watching Dune, since it means the soundtrack didn’t wake me up when I fell asleep in the dreariest movie of the year. Visually stunning, and nobody to care about. 
    kiehtanwilliamlondon12StrangersJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    JanNL said:
    mobird said:
    It’s a new option.
    and a very welcome one in certain rooms and circumstances…
    I have Reduce Bass on mine and I haven't updated yet.
    12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    It still boggles my mind that we can have lossless on a HomePod mini, but not AirPods Max…
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    hucom2000 said:
    It still boggles my mind that we can have lossless on a HomePod mini, but not AirPods Max…
    Bluetooth is an antique technology at this point. It's the SCSI or serial port of wireless. 
    williamlondonnightowlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Reduced bass was added in 15.0
    So it's not "today new" but it is new-ish.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    It was there last night. Used it. Grateful for the option when watching Dune, since it means the soundtrack didn’t wake me up when I fell asleep in the dreariest movie of the year. Visually stunning, and nobody to care about. 
    Awww man, no.  Dreariest movie?  It was awesome!!!

Keep in mind that I suffered through, and was deeply traumatized by, the travesty that was the 1984 David Lynch version - the most anticipated and most disappointing movie of all time.  If the new Dune movie has been bad I would have gone into a deep funk for a month. But my fears were lifted after the first few minutes.  The only thing I’m worried about now - if/when will they shoot part two?

Did you check out those ornithopters?!!!
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Too bad you can’t independently adjust Siri volume for requests. I whispered to it and it’s still louder than I would like it to be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    hucom2000 said:
    I remember a discussion on this several months ago. 

From Apple website: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212183
    Can I listen to lossless audio using Apple’s Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter?

Yes. The Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter is designed to transmit audio from the iPhone’s Lightning connector. It contains a digital-to-analogue converter that supports up to 24-bit/48 kHz lossless audio.

—> So, yes on headphones with analog 3.5 mm jack.

Can I listen to lossless audio using the AirPods Max Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable?

The Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable was designed to allow AirPods Max to connect to analogue sources for listening to films and music. AirPods Max can be connected to devices playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless recordings with exceptional audio quality. However, given the analogue-to-digital conversion in the cable, the playback will not be completely lossless.

So the work-around I heard discussed is the digital to analog DAC in the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter into the Lightning port, then the Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable (it should be called Audio to Lightning cable) to AirPods Max.

It sounds like a double conversion could lose something in each step, but the discussion was that it sure beat the hell out of Bluetooth.  I’m wanting to find a Lightning to Lightning cable and try it. 

What I remember in the discussion by some audiophiles is that you don’t get all the way to the “pure” lossless, but you get pretty darn close.  And since there are many who can’t discern the difference between a high quality lossy codec (AAC?) and lossless, I’d say I’d be pretty happy with “pretty darn close” to lossless.

But my hope is based on one discussion.  I hope a high end sound engineer writes an article on this. Is anyone on Anandtech reading this? Or at Audiophile Magazine?

Could AppleInsider interview a sound engineer and do some double blind testing?

Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    The bug is back :(
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    While I am a fan of the books prior film, I thought Dune was great. We loved it and look forward to more. 

JWSC said:
    Awww man, no.  Dreariest movie?  It was awesome!!!

Keep in mind that I suffered through, and was deeply traumatized by, the travesty that was the 1984 David Lynch version - the most anticipated and most disappointing movie of all time.  If the new Dune movie has been bad I would have gone into a deep funk for a month. But my fears were lifted after the first few minutes.  The only thing I’m worried about now - if/when will they shoot part two?

Did you check out those ornithopters?!!!
    Really liked Lynch’s as well. Sure the ending was wrapped up (originally they hoped to do sequels but learned it would not happen), but the costumes, sets, pedigree actors, and score were all amazing. In many instances more memorable than new Dune. New Dune is immersive and feels real, but is also a little more mundane (as reality is I suppose).  
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Does this update fix the issue with HomePod pairs being used with ATV for audio being deaf to Siri requests otherwise?
    I have two pairs of HomePod (original) pairs (2 x different Apple TVs).  They all listen for Siri.  I see the lights come on, on both, but usually the left one answers - don't know why, but I can't ever remember the right one answering.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    The bug is back :(
    What bug?