Apple's M1 Max bests AMD Radeon Pro W6900X in Affinity GPU benchmark

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    sflocal said:
    The bitcoin narrative is interesting for sure.  If Apple introduces an M1Max-powered Mac mini, I can definitely see a huge demand of these units for use in crypto-mining.  Add an ASI-optimized Linux package to run on these beasts and it will be a force to be reckoned with.

If Apple releases an M1 Max mini I will buy one regardless of its cryptocurrency mining prowess. Hopefully Apple would produce enough of them so they wouldn't all get sucked up by the miners.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hope Apple are more successful than the GPU makers at putting a complete kibosh on cryptocurrency mining.
    killroytmayFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I have to believe the likes of Rockstar are having to rethink shunning macOS.  Imagine the sales potential for RDR2 etc. on M gen Macs going forward.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:
    Oh my, the M1 Max really has poked the hornet’s nest, hasn’t it. The scramble is on to dismiss and delegitimize it. 
    Hasckintosh enthusiasts must be feeling confused.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    dewme said:
    sflocal said:
    The bitcoin narrative is interesting for sure.  If Apple introduces an M1Max-powered Mac mini, I can definitely see a huge demand of these units for use in crypto-mining.  Add an ASI-optimized Linux package to run on these beasts and it will be a force to be reckoned with.
    If Apple releases an M1 Max mini I will buy one regardless of its cryptocurrency mining prowess. Hopefully Apple would produce enough of them so they wouldn't all get sucked up by the miners.
    I think it's safe from miners with a ~6MH/s hash rate (M1 was around 2MH/s):

https://www.reddit.com/r/cryptomining/comments/qg4v9n/m1_max_32gb_eth_hashrate/

The Nvidia 170HX can get over 160MH/s:

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-cmp-170hx-mine-ethereum-hash-rate

That's a 250W GPU, which would be around 4x M1 Max. 4x MBPs would only get 25-40MH/s, less than 1/4 the Nvidia card.

Maybe if they come up with a more optimal Metal-based mining algorithm but I doubt they'd make a up a 4x difference.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    tmay said:

27/ The number of laptops won’t grow, but it is likely Apple will continue to take share from Windows (as will Chromebooks). At 275M units a year, laptops are big but serving this base of 400M. Phones serve everyone including them. That’s where software innovation is for masses.

I disagree with this.  As laptops increase their performance and performance per what they increasingly replace the desktop, especially in the workplace.
    None of the engineers, including me, has a desktop.
    The whole company runs laptops of different performance level depending on the users needs.
    Of course if we where a film editing we would need destoptops, but are not, but laptops are powerful enough to run all the CAD and engineering simulations etc

So I suggest teh laptop market will continue to grow
  • Reply 27 of 28
    What I would like to see is a sustained benchmark comparison.

What I mean is to run a CPU or GPU intensive test over an extended period of time to see the thermal throttling effect.  
    Clearly with a more power efficient SOC, the M1 family should demonstrate considerable advantage over other mobile impmentations.  
    My Intel Mac heats up once the GPU kicks in and I would be sure that if an RTX-3080 is exercised long enough its performance will drop much sooner than an M1 system.
    So it would be very valuable to know these numbers because when we work, we don't just work for minute or so, but process files over the course of an hour
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
     I wonder though how the M1 Max performs with gaming, and things like hardware accelerated ray tracing (which are even relatively new with Nvidia). 

Do the M1 Pro/Max have hardware Ray Tracing?
    Does it need it, or should it have it?  If no, then it doesn't matter (Ray Tracing is still a niche market).  If yes, then how well does the SoC perform Ray Tracing compared to other implementations of hardware Ray Tracing?  Having it in hardware or not, may not matter.  The Neural Engine, GPU, whatever, even though not having units specifically designed for Ray Tracing, may still perform well at it.
    watto_cobra