Customers accepting Apple's anti-tracking having 'modest' affect on Google

Posted:
in iOS
Google reports that its earnings have been only modestly affected by Apple's App Tracking Transparency since iOS 14, so far.

Not everyone will have gotten their App Tracking Transparency options right first time.
App Tracking Transparency asks users whether they want to allow an advertiser to track them

Following Apple's introduction of App Tracking Transparency, a reported majority of iPhone users have elected to choose "Ask Not to Track" for their apps. However, the impact on advertisers appears to have been less than expected.

Facebook famously and repeatedly objected to Apple's iOS 14 privacy plans, but its latest earnings show no precipitous decline in advertising revenue. Then Twitter reported the same for its earnings.

Now according to MarketWatch, Google and its parent company Alphabet is saying it was only slightly affected. It reported YouTube revenue of $7.2 billion, just short of analyst predictions of $7.4 billion.

"[We're] pleased with the strength across our business in the third quarter, it was broad-based, it was global," Alphabet Chief Financial Officer Ruth Porat said. "In terms of the iOS 14 changes specifically, they had a modest impact on YouTube revenues."

Google and Alphabet gave no further details, but Twitter's Q3 2021 Letter to Shareholders says that the impact was "modest" specifically because of how it has moved to using Apple's SKAdNetwork.

SKAdNetwork is Apple's replacement for the previous Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA) tags.

Apple's Craig Federighi previously predicted that the impact would be significantly less than feared, and that this was specifically because of the implementation of SKAdNetwork.

"We introduced intelligent tracking prevention, several years ago," he said, "and at the time, parts of the ad industry were saying that the sky was going to be falling in and that their business was going to be destroyed by the fact that they couldn't track everyone from website to website to website.

"Well, in fact, if you look at what happened to the industry, that didn't happen at all," he continued, "and yet we also protected user privacy."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    First Twitter, and now Google saying that it has had little effect on their bottom line. 
    Could it be that FB is exaggerating? Lying for some unethical reason? Trying to establish a false narrative for some nefarious plan? 
    I wouldn't put it past that lying SoS Zuckerburg.

lkruppStrangeDaysjahbladebaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

"Google owner Alphabet Inc on Tuesday reported higher than expected third-quarter ad sales, a sign that the business is overcoming new limits on tracking mobile users and that online shopping is as popular as ever heading into the holiday season.

Through its search engine, YouTube video service and partnerships across the Web, Google sells more internet ads than any other company. Demand for its services surged in the past year as the pandemic forced people to spend more time online, and their new habits have persisted.

Google advertising revenue rose 41% to $53.1 billion during the third quarter. Alphabet's overall sales jumped to $65.1 billion, above the average estimate of $63.3 billion among analysts tracked by Refinitiv."

So Youtube may have seen a modest affect, but Google ad sales overall not so much with another record quarter in the books. There's good reasons Apple has continued to pursue targeted ads as another potential source of massive profits in the future.

Fun Fact: Alphabet easily beat analyst expectations, banking more $Billions in profit, yet the stock price was down afterwards. Not unlike what happens to Apple stock after results. The stock market is irrational IMHO, a house built of cards.

edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamjahbladeFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 3 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, we were treated to a report couple of days ago about how Google and Facebook were working overtime to get around Apple’s privacy initiatives. That shows how much they respect user’s requests for privacy doesn’t it. Gotta have that data to sell or they are out of business.
    jahbladeFileMakerFellerJanNLwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I would anticipate Google and YouTube being separated into two distinct companies either by choice or by legal action at some point. They have become so immensely wealthy, able to do pretty much whatever they choose, that they cannot be allowed to exist as they do.

From buying up potential competition to some segment of their business from found couch money, to making their own rules to be followed by an entire industry, and worse than that as far as governments are concerned, denying agencies access to Google customers data with E2EE in the cloud and in messaging despite what those agencies say they must do....

Thumbing their nose at governments spy and police agencies will never go over well, and I believe Alphabet will answer for it. Google has made it too easy for government to produce viable reasons surrounding ad policies and privacy worries.  They are too big and powerful and D-Day is coming.  Unfortunately perhaps for you the rest of big US tech won't be far behind.  The massive power they wield and huge percentage of the economy they control will not be allowed to stand.  Come back in ten years and the Google and Facebook and Apple we see today will be far different.
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamronnFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 5 of 11
    gatorguy said:
    I would anticipate Google and YouTube being separated into two distinct companies either by choice or by legal action at some point. They have become so immensely wealthy, able to do pretty much whatever they choose, that they cannot be allowed to exist as they do.

From buying up potential competition to some segment of their business from found couch money, to making their own rules to be followed by an entire industry, and worse than that as far as governments are concerned, denying agencies access to Google customers data with E2EE in the cloud and in messaging despite what those agencies say they must do....

Thumbing their nose at governments spy and police agencies will never go over well, and I believe Alphabet will answer for it. Google has made it too easy for government to produce viable reasons surrounding ad policies and privacy worries.  They are too big and powerful and D-Day is coming.  Unfortunately perhaps for you the rest of big US tech won't be far behind.  The massive power they wield and huge percentage of the economy they control will not be allowed to stand.  Come back in ten years and the Google and Facebook and Apple we see today will be far different.
    Unfortunately the DOJ seems to be so intent on dealing with Apple and the App Store, that I wonder if they'll get around to the real abuses by G and FB.
    StrangeDaysronnbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 11
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:

Unfortunately the DOJ seems to be so intent on dealing with Apple and the App Store, that I wonder if they'll get around to the real abuses by G and FB.
    That's been underway for months. The DoJ and States are both actively pursuing antitrust cases with Google. I think Apple may get off relatively easy, perhaps only divesting themselves of the AppStore and some services at worst, opening up to 3rd parties at best.  But Apple will not emerge unscathed even tho they avoided aggravating governments as much as possible.  IMO the greater effect on them will come from denying them the dozens of acquisitions they do every year which in part is intended to stifle future competition for some Apple revenue source. That will slowly negate some of their power going forward. 

Now as far as Facebook? No idea. I thought they'd be done for, especially with all the recent revelations in front of Congress.
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rmoormoo Posts: 30member
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:
    I would anticipate Google and YouTube being separated into two distinct companies either by choice or by legal action at some point. 
    What are these "real abuses" that you speak of (that Apple doesn't also do)? Just curious. Market share doesn't equal abuse by the way. If it did, Apple had nearly 100% of the MP3 player and almost as high a share of digital music and video market not long ago. Even the term "podcast" comes from the iPod. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Apple, tell us what we can do to help.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:

That's been underway for months. The DoJ and States are both actively pursuing antitrust cases with Google. I think Apple may get off relatively easy, perhaps only divesting themselves of the AppStore and some services at worst, opening up to 3rd parties at best.  But Apple will not emerge unscathed even tho they avoided aggravating governments as much as possible.  IMO the greater effect on them will come from denying them the dozens of acquisitions they do every year which in part is intended to stifle future completion for some Apple revenue source. That will slowly negate some of their power going forward. 

Now as far as Facebook? No idea. I thought they'd be done for, especially with all the recent revelations in front of Congress.
    Here's hoping.
    baconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rmoo said:
    DAalseth said:
    gatorguy said:
    I would anticipate Google and YouTube being separated into two distinct companies either by choice or by legal action at some point. 
    What are these "real abuses" that you speak of (that Apple doesn't also do)? Just curious. Market share doesn't equal abuse by the way. If it did, Apple had nearly 100% of the MP3 player and almost as high a share of digital music and video market not long ago. Even the term "podcast" comes from the iPod. 
    Taking our data without our permission, keeping dossiers on us and using it to harm us by flooding our in boxes, and web browsers with SPAM. FB using multiple unethical, if not illegal means to track our every move, even if we did not use FB or any of their services. and using that data against us. Google moving to control major parts of internet advertising, destroying or buying competition, something FB has done as well. 

No market share does not equal abuse. Abuse equals abuse and there’s ample evidence that G and FB have been doing many unethical things that need to be dealt with. None of which Apple has done.
    baconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 11
    rmoormoo Posts: 30member
    DAalseth said:
    Taking our data without our permission, keeping dossiers on us and using it to harm us by flooding our in boxes, and web browsers with SPAM. FB using multiple unethical, if not illegal means to track our every move, even if we did not use FB or any of their services. and using that data against us. Google moving to control major parts of internet advertising, destroying or buying competition, something FB has done as well. 

No market share does not equal abuse. Abuse equals abuse and there’s ample evidence that G and FB have been doing many unethical things that need to be dealt with. None of which Apple has done.
    1. The data thing is entirely legal. Everyone does it ... Google just happens to be better at it. I will believe that the anger at data collecting and tracking is legitimate when it is aimed at the many companies who do the same thing without creating products that compete with Apple's. Take Microsoft for example: they do the same sort of data collection and tracking, as do Yahoo. You don't hear about them only because Bing and Yahoo Search lost to Google and because Microsoft's mobile OS efforts failed. (Microsoft still collects/tracks via their very popular apps). If you offer a free service like search, email, social networking, video sharing, news aggregation etc. then you collect data to sell for ads because there is no other way to make money. As Google clearly isn't the only one with free Internet and web products - and were nowhere near the first - no sense singling them out. 

2. Google floods your inboxes and web browsers with spam? That is curious ... have been using Chrome and Gmail since the mid-2000s and don't experience that. I have also not seen anyone else blame Google for spam, adware or malware.

3.  "Google moving to control major parts of internet advertising, destroying or buying competition" all those acquisitions were approved by domestic agencies (under Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump administrations) and by international bodies as well. And some attempted Google acquisitions have been blocked, with Google's attempt to buy Twitch blocked by the DoJ being the best example. A lot of people gripe over Google buying their main competitor in ads, but this was ages ago back when Yahoo was still a bigger company and Google was fighting tooth and nail to keep Microsoft from running out of business. 
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy