MacBook Pro shipping delays caused by UPS 'mechanical' problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
UPS has reportedly been updating some MacBook Pro buyers, saying the unexpected delays to their orders were caused by unspecified "mechanical failures."

Apple relies heavily on air freight (here with iPhone 12) Source: Apple
Apple relies heavily on air freight (here with iPhone 12) Source: Apple

A number of people expecting to receive their new MacBook Pro on their first day of availability, October 26, instead just got emailed about delays. In each case, the emails contained a new delivery date in December, but no further details.

Now according to MacRumors, distribution company UPS has been following up Apple's initial email with ones giving slightly more information.

"A mechanical failure has caused a delay," one email reportedly says. "We will update the delivery date as soon as possible."

Users tracking their orders say that they are being told the MacBook Pro is back in China, after presumably having left. Specifically, they are listed as being in Shanghai and Seoul, South Korea.

It appears likely that the mechanical issues are to do with aircraft.

There do not appear to be many UPS flights scheduled to depart from these cities. One flight that had been scheduled from Seoul to the UPS hub in Cologne, Germany, has reportedly been canceled.

AppleInsider has reached out to UPS and Apple for more information.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "AppleInsider has reached out to UPS and Apple for more information."

This is one hell of a first world problem, wouldn’t you say?
    Graeme000
  • Reply 2 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not a fan of Oops! (UPS).

Not sure why Apple uses them instead of FedEx and DHL. I would like it if Apple offered us a choice and it would not be Oops.
    My “signature required” $2000 + laptop was left with no signature at my neighbors house and not because there was nobody home.

This is just the kind of service often seen from Oops in my area. With numbers clearly on the house in broad daylight in 70 degree sunshine they managed to not get the delivery right.

Grrr…

muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Stuff happens. I once had a commercial flight cancelled because they realized the plane had no black box installed and they didn't have any replacement hardware on hand.
    mike1Graeme000
  • Reply 4 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    davgreg said:

Not sure why Apple uses them instead of FedEx and DHL. I would like it if Apple offered us a choice and it would not be Oops.
    My “signature required” $2000 + laptop was left with no signature at my neighbors house and not because there was nobody home.

This is just the kind of service often seen from Oops in my area. With numbers clearly on the house in broad daylight in 70 degree sunshine they managed to not get the delivery right.

Grrr…

I don’t know about DHL, but I’ve received Apple deliveries from both FedEx and Oops in just the last month. And believe me when I tell you, they’re not exactly brain surgeons at FedEx either. My last delivery from them (a watchband) never even came to my house. Instead, they delivered it to an auto parts store and told me to pick it up there. Um, ok I guess. So, I went there and picked it up but they never marked it as delivered. So now in my Orders section of the Apple app it says “Your order is on the way” and “Expected delivery Sept. 27”.  I’m not saying anything to either of them, I’m just going to wait to see which one figures it out first. 
    hammeroftruthmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    davgreg said:

Grrr…

Generally speaking, I've found FedEx to be a complete clown show. Their use of independent contractors to make deliveries means there are minimal standards and consistency to timeliness, courtesy, uniforms etc. I've had drivers in street clothes hop out of a truck and need a signature. Look closely at every FedEx Truck and you'll see who really owns them and it ain't FedEx.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Japhey said:
    davgreg said:

Grrr…

I don’t know about DHL, but I’ve received Apple deliveries from both FedEx and Oops in just the last month. And believe me when I tell you, they’re not exactly brain surgeons at FedEx either. My last delivery from them (a watchband) never even came to my house. Instead, they delivered it to an auto parts store and told me to pick it up there. Um, ok I guess. So, I went there and picked it up but they never marked it as delivered. So now in my Orders section of the Apple app it says “Your order is on the way” and “Expected delivery Sept. 27”.  I’m not saying anything to either of them, I’m just going to wait to see which one figures it out first. 
    IRS gets things wrong also.

Decades ago, fresh out of law school, five of us newly minted lawyers set out to open up a legal partnership. As managing partner, I contacted the IRS for appropriate partnership tax forms, telling them to send c/o Attorney Lawrence Winkler at our office.

Weeks later a package from the IRS was delivered, but wasn't for us. I figured it was for some hardware store close by. A couple of days later I realized this was indeed our package: c/o A Turning Lawn Sprinkler. 
    tokyojimuFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Agree with the concerns outlined about UPS and also FedEx.  DHL is the best.  I do wish Apple would give more choice.  I suspect this is related to shipping contracts and volume of scale.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I heard FedEx and UPS will be merging in 2022. The new combined company shall henceforth be known as "FedUp".
    FileMakerFellerDetnator
  • Reply 9 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    mike1 said:
    davgreg said:

Grrr…

Generally speaking, I've found FedEx to be a complete clown show. Their use of independent contractors to make deliveries means there are minimal standards and consistency to timeliness, courtesy, uniforms etc. I've had drivers in street clothes hop out of a truck and need a signature. Look closely at every FedEx Truck and you'll see who really owns them and it ain't FedEx.
    Fedex Express does not use independent contractors.  They use employee delivery drivers, who are unionized I believe.  FedEx Ground (and home delivery) DOES use independent contractors for delivery -- each owns his/her own route(s) and gets paid per package and stop.   I've not gotten an Apple delivery through FedEx Ground that originated outside the US (or computer or phone or similar).  I don't remember about small inside the US shipments.  

FedEx Ground also has its own terminals.  They are separate, which is why you'll see a separate Express truck and Ground truck outside the FedEx Office stores in the evening.   The history behind it is that FedEx didn't do ground.  A company called RPS only did ground (and only commercial addresses).   About the turn of the century, plus or minus, FedEx bought RPS and renamed it FedEx Ground.  RPS used contracted drivers.    For a long time after the merger, FedEx Ground had completely different tracking number formats etc from Express.  Over time they've unified things between the two a lot.   So now they share a single tracking number for at etc. 
    mike1
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Where I live, UPS is the worst.  Completely unreliable.  Our address is seemingly at the end of their route, so if the driver decides they're tired and want to head back to the depot, guess whose package doesn't get delivered until the next business day?  I've literally watched my package on map and the truck was up the street.  20 minutes later, it's back at the UPS Depot along with my package.  It happens frequently.  Not to mention the number of damaged packages I get from UPS vs FEDEX is higher.

Overall, I've no confidence with UPS.  I've not been disappointed or lied to with FEDEX.  UPS makes up reasons why my package is delayed.  It's crazy.  
  • Reply 12 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    More on the FedEx Ground use of contractors as drivers.  My understanding is that there are pretty strict rules on uniforms, trucks, service, etc.  However, you occasionally do see them using rental trucks (penske or whatever) and probably out of uniform.  They own their own trucks.  (I believe they buy them through a standard feddx contract from the source and have to paint it in standard FedEx Ground livery). If the truck is in the shop or otherwise out of commission, they have to get a temporary stand in.  That may mean a rental, or private vehicle.  Unlike the Express part of the business, which are company trucks and employee drivers, these are small businessmen owners who usually don't own an extra truck just sitting there.  

Also, during the holidays when there is a surge of business, they may get more packages on their routes than they can normally handle.  Since they are responsible for teh complete physical route, I've seen some drivers hire their own employees and use rental trucks to make up the slack and handle the temporary extra business.  

This is all according to my understanding after talking with multiple FedEx Ground drivers over the years.   I used to run an online and phone order sales business (early 2000s to about 2012) and mostly shipped through FedEx.  One driver that covered my location with his route became really good friends with me and told me a lot about how it worked.  I also talked with other drivers at other locations (I moved and over those years ran the business from a few different locations).  

In the early 2000s, I also wrote a Mac app that would allow you to ship through FedEx from your Mac, with very quick data entry and label printing (when I started you had to either use a dedicated FedEx PC, which I didn't have, or a web browser, and you couldn't use a Mac browser as the labels would print low res and not be any good so I decided to write my own app -- they eventually fixed their side and now you can use their website to print labels, though my app would still be faster if it still worked // they changed their back end and I never updated the app).  I wanted to sell the app or make it available as a subscription but FedEx would only certify it for my own use.  To certify it for others to use I had to join some sort of consultants program, at the time, and pay $X000s to have some third party certify it.  I didn't have the money to pay for that certification.  But I used it about 10 years on an almost daily basis so I became quite familiar with how their system worked.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Where I live, UPS is the worst.  Completely unreliable.  Our address is seemingly at the end of their route, so if the driver decides they're tired and want to head back to the depot, guess whose package doesn't get delivered until the next business day?  I've literally watched my package on map and the truck was up the street.  20 minutes later, it's back at the UPS Depot along with my package.  It happens frequently.  Not to mention the number of damaged packages I get from UPS vs FEDEX is higher.

Overall, I've no confidence with UPS.  I've not been disappointed or lied to with FEDEX.  UPS makes up reasons why my package is delayed.  It's crazy.  
    Lol, I’ve had the exact same experience with them. When they delivered my iPhone 12 last year on release day, I watched on the map as they drove up and down my street and all around my neighborhood from 9am until 5pm before finally delivering it. Good thing I had the day off. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    davgreg said:

Grrr…

That's the kind of service I get from FedEx in my area.  UPS at least follows my instructions about where to leave it.  FedEx drivers just blatantly ignore instructions to leave it at my front door.  Instead, they invariably leave it outside my garage.  In the rain.

Oh wait, there was that one time a FedEx driver did deliver it to my front door.  From the road 50 feet away.  Without leaving the truck.  Fortunately, my daughter saw it happen.  One of the reasons I'm trying to find a good HomeKit doorbell camera that I can hardwire to power.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    CURRENTLY, EVEN WITHOUT MECHANICAL ISSUES:

If you're trading in your current computer the trade-in kit arrives earlier than 14 days before your new MBP - even if the two are shipped out "together". That's because the MBP is shipped from China while the trade-in kit is shipped from within your country.

Remember, IF YOUR TRADE-IN IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE KIT ARRIVING, YOU LOSE 100% OF THE VALUE.

This means you have to give up your current computer and wait indefinitely for the one you spent a fortune on while UPS changes your expected delivery date daily.

TIP: When the trade-in kit arrives, DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY until the MBP arrives. THEN go pick up the trade-in kit.

Consider yourself warned.

You're welcome.
    edited December 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Apparently even over a month later there is still a UPS delay.  It is taking 5-6 days for people to get tracking information even after Apple sends a shipping email.  Apparently it is a UPS delay.   I received a shipping email for Macbook Pro on Dec 3.  As of today Dec 8 UPS has still not scanned the package.  It is happening to others also based on a discussion we have going on in Apple discussions.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    NowYaKnow said:
    CURRENTLY, EVEN WITHOUT MECHANICAL ISSUES:

If you're trading in your current computer the trade-in kit arrives earlier than 14 days before your new MBP - even if the two are shipped out "together". That's because the MBP is shipped from China while the trade-in kit is shipped from within your country.

Remember, IF YOUR TRADE-IN IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE KIT ARRIVING, YOU LOSE 100% OF THE VALUE.

This means you have to give up your current computer and wait indefinitely for the one you spent a fortune on while UPS changes your expected delivery date daily.

TIP: When the trade-in kit arrives, DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY until the MBP arrives. THEN go pick up the trade-in kit.

Consider yourself warned.

You're welcome.
    You seem too confident...I get the feeling you are not talking from experience....regarding not accepting delivery on the return kit. If you do not accept it, will Apple perceive this as a reason to not ship the new MBP?