Chinese students sue Apple over not including chargers with iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    techrider said:
    Apple still includes a plastic logo sticker in every box, changes the phone dimensions which prevents you from reusing a protective plastic case that could easily last 5-7 years, and includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    What is included in the box is a USB‑C to Lightning Cable.This is because Android charging cable cannot be plugged into iPhone Lightning port. 
  • Reply 22 of 46
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    No good deed goes unpunished. Liberalism is on the rise in China, state support will emboldened them.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Apple should have just said “We will sell you an iPhone for $1020. Alternatively you can save $20 by opting for a phone without the charger.”

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Especially funny coming from China, where I just found this 18W charger for just over one US dollar. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I just went through the purchase process on the online store.  They ask you what model you want, what colour you want, what size storage you want, whether you have an iPhone to trade in, whether you want to pay monthly or in full, whether you want AppleCare.... but not whether you need a charger.  You can find chargers in related items, after scrolling past cases, MagSafe things, AirPods and AirTags.  They're in literally the last section, next to HomePod Minis and Lightning to 3.5mm adaptors.

I don't really understand why Apple are doing this.  Yes, not including a charger is a decent thing to do environmentally, but burying the option to buy a charger that customers might actually need?

They're not as clear about not including a charger as they imply they are.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Apple could do better. Apple should put a warning message in the ordering form stating that phone charger in not included. Further, at the end of ordering form there should be an option of adding a charger. If the customer still placing the order, the responsibility is not Apple. 

I disagree.
    Apple upgraded their phones to be able to use 18+watt chargers.
    They then added USB-C cords able to transmit that power.
    But, instead of upgrading their charger they eliminated it and forced the user to buy one.

They should have upgraded both back with the iPhone 8.

The shameful part is:  it's being blamed on ecology while they funneled the savings off to their stockholders as share buybacks.  I would have more respect for this if they had been honest about it and simply said their stockholders needed the money more than their customers did.

Or, alternatively (and probably more likely) the cost of their iPhone 12 had climbed so much (having to pay Qualcomm for their 5G modem along with the cost of an OLED display) their margin was being squeezed -- so they used this method to gain some of it back.

In either case, I'm not buying the ecology defense.  I don't see mountains of charging bricks filling up landfills.
    Spend a lot of time at the local landfill George?
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    sflocal said:
    techrider said:
    …includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    Really?  I just picked up my iPhone13 yesterday.  Opened it up, plugged it right into the same cable/charger in my wall that I’ve been using for years.

I didn’t have to buy “something” to plug into it.

your argument fails.

His argument only fails once you realize Apple forced its customers to go out and buy USB-C bricks to support the USB-C cable it included in with its phone.  Prior to that, most used the obsolete 5W chargers Apple had been supplying.

So, you already had one?   Should we applaud?
    So it’s appropriate now to ridicule people for offering their own experiences as examples? Does that mean the rest of us can do the same to you when you tell your marathon story for the 10,000th time? Or maybe you’d like us to applaud. 
    edited October 2021 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    sflocal said:
    techrider said:
    …includes a charging cable that can’t be used until you buy something it can plug into. I think their green intentions contain a mixed message.
    Really?  I just picked up my iPhone13 yesterday.  Opened it up, plugged it right into the same cable/charger in my wall that I’ve been using for years.

your argument fails.

His argument only fails once you realize Apple forced its customers to go out and buy USB-C bricks to support the USB-C cable it included in with its phone.  Prior to that, most used the obsolete 5W chargers Apple had been supplying.

I wish someone told me my 5W charger is "obsolete" when I charge it overnight and it's 100% full in the morning.  *yawn*

#firstworldproblem
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    These are just law students trying their luck at cashing out. Everytime I get a Lightning or USB charger it just gets tossed in my USB graveyard.
    She should've bought a Samsung instead, the company that apes Apple at every corner is not including a charger either. Shocker!

They should spend more time in school if the best thing they can come up with is "Apple has a serious infringement of consumers' legitimate rights and interests." Perhaps China has special definitions for "infringement" and "legitimate".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Apple could do better. Apple should put a warning message in the ordering form stating that phone charger in not included. Further, at the end of ordering form there should be an option of adding a charger. If the customer still placing the order, the responsibility is not Apple. 

The shameful part is:  it's being blamed on ecology while they funneled the savings off to their stockholders as share buybacks.  I would have more respect for this if they had been honest about it and simply said their stockholders needed the money more than their customers did.
    I agree. I have no problem with Apple not including the charger. It really annoyed me though when they pretended it was all about being “green” and it was for ”environmental reasons”. That was all BS. They saw a way they could save a few bucks and they jumped at it. 
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Good for the Chinese student!  Hope the student end up working for Apple and Tim Cook finds out about the lawsuit!   :D
  • Reply 32 of 46
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    This is a bit ironic coming from the land of cheap chinese knockoff chargers!
    edited October 2021 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Time to sue all products that say
    ”batteries not included”!
  • Reply 34 of 46
    The silent majority needs to stop agreeing with every single one of these kooks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sflocal said:
    techrider said:

your argument fails.

Wah.. I already have Apple 20w bricks stockpiling in the drawer next to the 5w ones never used. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    darkvader said:
    applguy said:
    Light bulb sold separately… Batteries not included… These will also prevent you from using the device you just bought. Should every company be sued selling a non-functioning product. 

Yes, if they sold a non-functioning product they should be sued.  If all pieces to make something work aren't included, it should be sold as parts, not pretending to be a complete product.

And maybe your experience is different, but everything I've bought in the last several years has had batteries included, and most lights include a bulb now.
    Wait until you’re living in your own place and buy a lamp…. Lawsuit waiting to happen, right!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    tokyojimu said:
    Especially funny coming from China, where I just found this 18W charger for just over one US dollar. 

I bet this last for at least one charge.
    not possible to make from new parts it’s re-cycled from probably a scrapped or unused company.  Also with the cable is an impressive price.
    Delivery fee?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    darkvader said:
    applguy said:
    Light bulb sold separately… Batteries not included… These will also prevent you from using the device you just bought. Should every company be sued selling a non-functioning product. 

Yes, if they sold a non-functioning product they should be sued.  If all pieces to make something work aren't included, it should be sold as parts, not pretending to be a complete product.

And maybe your experience is different, but everything I've bought in the last several years has had batteries included, and most lights include a bulb now.
    Bought a couple table lamps just this past week “Requires a 100-Watt bulb or LED equivalent bulb” on the boxes.
    A month ago I bought a flashlight. Not all flashlights included batteries.
    Gas grills don’t come with propane. Charcoal ones don’t come with charcoal, or a lighter, or lighter fluid. 

There are many products that the consumer may need to purchase something else to get the full benefit of the product. As long as the company advised the consumer I don’t see a problem with it. Bulb, battery, gas, charcoal, charger. 

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflocal said:
    sflocal said:
    techrider said:

your argument fails.

I wish someone told me my 5W charger is "obsolete" when I charge it overnight and it's 100% full in the morning.  *yawn*

#firstworldproblem

An Apple Two may still work.   But its still obsolete
  • Reply 40 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    This is a bit ironic coming from the land of cheap chinese knockoff chargers!

Like Apple sells?