Apple expands first-party app ratings to Camera, Messages, Photos, more

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2021
A month after enabling user reviews for first-party apps, Apple this week expanded the feature to allow ratings for its Camera, Health, Messages, Phone, Photos and Phone software, among others.

App Store

In late September, Apple for the first time opened App Store reviews for first-party apps, including titles that come preinstalled on iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Considered a major change to its alleged preferential handling of in-house apps, the iOS 15 capability invited often critical feedback of flagship properties.

As noted by developer Kosta Eleftheriou, Apple on Oct. 25 added more of its apps to the list, with users now able to assign star ratings to Camera, Clock, Find Devices, Health, Heart Rate, Messages, Phone, Photos, Safari, Workout and World Clock.

Interestingly, Eleftheriou notes Safari is listed as an app suitable for users aged 4 years old and above, while other web browsers carry a minimum age requirement of 17 and above.

As ratings for the latest batch of Apple apps went live just two days ago, only a few users have assigned scores. Phone leads the pack with 14 ratings and an average score of 4.4 stars, followed by Camera with 13 ratings and a score of 4.2 stars. Safari notches 3.5 stars from 11 ratings, while the Clock, Find Devices, Health, Heart Rate, Photos, Workout and World Clock currently sit at less than 10 ratings each.

Prior to the September change, Apple device owners were limited to rating downloadable apps like the iWork suite, which at one time was for-pay software.

Apple's decision to open ratings for its pre-installed apps is believed to stem in part from increased scrutiny over its App Store business. Governments around the world are investigating the company's App Store guidelines, first-party payment system requirements and restrictions against third-party app stores. Some regulatory bodies are delving into allegations that the company gives preferential treatment to its own apps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 217member
    “I’ve been waiting 48 hours in my hotel room in Bangkok after I used Apple’s Massages app to book a massage. So far nothing.” 1 star.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    It's unfortunate that only iOS 15 users are allowed to see and leave reviews for the first party apps.

Messages' handling of spam texts is basically non-existent, with only the ability to filter unknown senders into a separate list, and no means or option to silence their notifications.  So the multitudes of phishing attempts I receive, purportedly from AT&T, still manage to annoy, and also make their way to my Mac and iPad as well.  A frustrating experience, and hardly a good UX.

The black hole of Apple Feedback hasn't resulted in any hint of a desire to address issues such as this, so perhaps a fitting review might, though that is doubtful as well.

Alex_V
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I can’t wait until they get to maps….😈
    Alex_V
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    citpeks said:
    It's unfortunate that only iOS 15 users are allowed to see and leave reviews for the first party apps.

Messages' handling of spam texts is basically non-existent, with only the ability to filter unknown senders into a separate list, and no means or option to silence their notifications.  So the multitudes of phishing attempts I receive, purportedly from AT&T, still manage to annoy, and also make their way to my Mac and iPad as well.  A frustrating experience, and hardly a good UX.

The black hole of Apple Feedback hasn't resulted in any hint of a desire to address issues such as this, so perhaps a fitting review might, though that is doubtful as well.

It's really not hard to block the number with spam in the phone. I then forward the info to AT&T and also block in their app. It sucks, but how would you expect the phone itself to handle spam??? It's more an issue for the providers to manage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    mike1 said:
    citpeks said:

It's really not hard to block the number with spam in the phone. I then forward the info to AT&T and also block in their app. It sucks, but how would you expect the phone itself to handle spam??? It's more an issue for the providers to manage.

Blocking, while I still do it, is just a game of whack-a-mole.  Not gonna waste my time forwarding messages to AT&T, especially when zero-click exploits like Pegasus exist, however unlikely an average person is to be targeted.  Spam email, spam robocalls, spam texts -- providers can only do so much, even when they try, so users should be provided tools to combat them on their own.

I'd be happy with a simple option to silence notifications for messages from unknown senders…like the Phone.app already does.  Users are given the option to not see them listed, but still have to hear notifications about them.

But, as the current situation stands, Apple leaves users pretty much helpless.