Facebook changes the one thing it doesn't need to, is now called 'Meta'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2021
Amid a firestorm of controversy, Facebook has officially changed its company name to Meta, though its social media platforms will retain their previous monikers.

Credit: Meta/Facebook
Credit: Meta/Facebook

Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO of the new company, announced the name change at the social media juggernaut's Connect 2021 keynote. The chief executive says he hopes the new name will "reflect who we are and what we hope to build."

"We are a company that builds technology to connect. Together, we can finally put people at the center of our technology," Zuckerberg said. "And together, we can unlock a massively bigger creator economy."

Facebook, as a company name, doesn't accurately reflect what the company does, Zuckerberg added. "Right now, our brand is so tightly linked to one product, but over time, I hope we are seen as a metaverse company," he said.

The rebranding comes amid scrutiny of Facebook after multiple whistleblowers came forward to state that the company values revenue over protecting its users. The whistleblowers claimed that Facebook allowed hate speech and disinformation to run rampant on the platform, and that it knew that its Instagram subsidiary was bad for the mental health of teenagers.

In addition to those whistleblowers, a massive leak of internal documents has prompted a U.S. government investigation of the platform. On Oct. 28, authorities told Facebook staffers to preserve all communications.

Rumors of Facebook's rebranding first surfaced earlier in October amid growing regulatory scrutiny and public distrust. Sources then said that the new name will focus on the company's pivot toward the "meta verse."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Changing name won’t help, especially to Meta. We all know Facebook captures tons of metadata now they’re admitting it in their name. 

skippingrockGG1F_Kent_DmknelsonAppleUfmyIbloggerblogfotoformatcornchipbaconstangols
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Good name.  As in metadata that they can steal from users.

However the new logo needs to be changed.  It looks something similar to Infinity, the speaker company.
    skippingrockviclauyyccornchiprezwitsbaconstangolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    rob53 said:
    Changing name won’t help, especially to Meta. We all know Facebook captures tons of metadata now they’re admitting it in their name. 

Good one!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    macseeker said:

However the new logo needs to be changed.  It looks something similar to Infinity, the speaker company.
    Infinity should sue them. It’s exactly like their logo just dropped on each end. The logo means infinity which has nothing to do with Meta. Easy case court for infinity to win. 

Actually it’s even worse. Meta took Harman’s logo and flipped it upside down. 

—can’t get screenshot from Infinity by Harman to insert on my phone but check their website to see how close it is. 
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    I guess discussing this name change is kind of, ehh .. meta now …
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    To me the logo looks like a butt which proper reflects the CEO of the company. 
    kidrock2199watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Chameleon changes to different color doesn't mean it's not Chameleon !!
    edited October 2021 ols
  • Reply 8 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    MetaVERSE? Poetry? Limerick?
    There once was a company called Meta
    Who wanted to get all your data.
    Plus that of your mothers,
    And sisters and brothers,
    Then sell it to every "dictata".

fotoformatjas99cornchiproundaboutnowsbdudeBuffyzDeadbaconstangJWSCFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Wow. He really didn’t think that one through, did he? I thought he was smart? Well, I guess smart enough to change the name to reflect what the company actually does, collect users metadata to sell to other companies. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    macseeker said:

Infinite metadata.

Maybe should have been called V'Ger.
    equality72521cornchiproundaboutnowbaconstangFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    It will always be "fecesbook" no matter what they change their alias to... to parley SJ.
    mknelsonGG1lkruppviclauyycbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fakebook  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    GG1 said:
    macseeker said:

Infinite metadata.

Maybe should have been called V'Ger.
    Oya!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Is this a joke? Meta? They’re completely admitting what they do which is steal your metadata…Changing the name of the company just makes him look desperate to bury the bad name Facebook has become.  

He might as well renamed the company “Facesteal”
    jas99olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    It's a smart name change.

I've got a buddy over there, he says that it’s common knowledge that "facebook.com" is a legacy product, of interest mostly to racist grandpas. The bulk of their business and eyeballs is Whatsapp and Instagram and that's not even recent. 

Calling the company Facebook today is almost like calling Apple "Mac" or "the Mac company." 

That said, I sincerely hope their aspirations fail, badly.
    Fred257williamlondonolsF_Kent_Dkestralwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Setting aside my personal animosity toward FaceBook, and Zuckerberg, this is just a terrible name for a company. It has all sorts of hidden meanings, which the Internet will amplify. It reminds everyone about the very data they steal and use for their own profit. Lastly it’s about as forgettable a name as ever was used. 

To people who know what it means it’s really bad.
    To people who don’t know what it means it’s utterly forgettable. Not really what you want as your BRAND. 

This is just a really stupid move.

EDIT: It’s started. Over on TMO someone suggested it stands for Mafia Enters Tech Arena. 😂 
    edited October 2021 fotoformatrob53p-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    DAalseth said:
    Setting aside my personal animosity toward FaceBook, and Zuckerberg, this is just a terrible name for a company. It has all sorts of hidden meanings, which the Internet will amplify. It reminds everyone about the very data they steal and use for their own profit. Lastly it’s about as forgettable a name as ever was used. 

To people who know what it means it’s really bad.
    To people who don’t know what it means it’s utterly forgettable. Not really what you want as your BRAND. 

This is just a really stupid move.
    But all their captive data buckets users will only see positive news about Meta (on Meta), so they won't know differently.

But I agree with everything you said, since we're outside the Matrix Meta.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    “Mierda” would have been so much more fitting.
    p-dogmknelsonF_Kent_Dwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    They should put Dave Eggers on the board.  

Somebody needs to remind them they're mortal and can make ridiculous decisions that can hurt.  

They seem to miss that part on a regular basis.    

edited October 2021 watto_cobra