Tim Cook says that Apple TV+ has already 'proved itself' to fans

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the company's Apple TV+ streaming service has "already proved itself to fans around the world."

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Apple chief executive made the comments during the company's earnings call on Thursday. During the bit on Apple TV+, he offered his congratulations to the "actors, writers, storytellers, and producers, and everyone else who has made the success possible."

Cook did not disclose subscriber numbers for Apple TV+, but did state that the streaming service had won 11 Emmy awards, including one for comedy series "Ted Lasso."

Apple TV+ launched in November 2019, and most reports suggest that its growth has been sluggish despite the critical success. Apple has never revealed subscriber numbers for the service, but estimates range from 20 million to 40 million.

Survey data from earlier in 2021 indicated that the majority of Apple TV+ subscribers were on a free trial, and most of them didn't plan to renew once their promotion period ended.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Survey data did consider people that have Apple One like no renew subscribers? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Apple TV + does not really have that much content of interest. I have Apple One but mostly for the storage and News + which has proven to be a pretty good value.

Live sports is where the eyeballs are on TV in the US. Apple has the money to take the top live sports away from ESPN and broadcast nets or offer a better , ad-free version.

• Reply 3 of 4
    Subscribers on a free term have to actively cancel/opt-out as opposed to actively renewing. I would imagine millions of lazy people are continuing to subscribe (as they do with many other services).  It’s only $5/month so easy to just ignore for a lot of folks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    CarmBCarmB Posts: 80member
    Subscribers on a free term have to actively cancel/opt-out as opposed to actively renewing. I would imagine millions of lazy people are continuing to subscribe (as they do with many other services).  It’s only $5/month so easy to just ignore for a lot of folks.
    Being only $5 a month, it’s also a reasonable value which will improve as the content is built out, provided Apple continues to keep the cost at a low level. Other providers are continually increasing the cost such that if Apple sticks with low cost and not dumping legacy filler into the mix to increase the price, it will become progressively more appealing to a wide range of consumers. It is and should remain a good value add-on to whatever other streaming content subscribers sign up for. That way Apple’s service will be able to flourish by being a compliment to other services, not a competitor to them. Besides, my guess is that most households are signed up for multiple streaming services.
    watto_cobra