Apple's macOS Monterey causing problems with some USB-C hubs & docks

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2021
A number of users are reporting that USB devices including hubs are no longer working after upgrading to macOS Monterey.

Some users are reporting that USB Hubs have problems under macOS Monterey
Some users are reporting that USB Hubs have problems under macOS Monterey

It's not possible to estimate yet whether this is a widespread issue, but there are multiple user reports that say macOS Monterey is specifically causing issues with USB 3.0 devices. For some people, their USB hub is no longer working at all, while for others their hub's HDMI and USB-C ports continue to function.

Users have been reporting the issue on Apple's own Developer forums date from as far back as July, when macOS Monterey was in beta. Now that it is publicly available, it appears that more users are discovering it.

"I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey," wrote Developer Forum user Eurobubba in July. "The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports...) does work."

Other users report Apple support staff telling them to try Apple-certified hubs. It appears, though, that the problems continued.

"My Solution (recently found out)," wrote user Tiggar on Apple's forums, "use a very short USB-C cable (e.g. 30cm)! For me, now everything is working... but that shouldn't be a permanent solution."

It doesn't appear that Thunderbolt docks are impacted by the issue. It's not yet clear what the specific triggers for issues are, but they are likely related to the chipset used in any individual hub or dock.

The user complaints were first spotted by MacRumors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    You mean it’s not magical?
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Lol. Don’t worry about the lack of ports, just use a hub, they say.
    FileMakerFellerMplsP
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    crowley said:
    Right now, for the most part, this looks limited to the brands with too many adjacent consonants in the name.

We're still looking into it.
    williamlondonkillroy
  • Reply 4 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Using a Satechi hub right now that is a legacy from a MacBook Air and everything works fine from a Focal speaker set to a M-Audio keyboard to a Plugable HD unit, etc. 
    killroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 38
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    davgreg said:
    Using a Satechi hub right now that is a legacy from a MacBook Air and everything works fine from a Focal speaker set to a M-Audio keyboard to a Plugable HD unit, etc. 
    I'm using a Satechi hub as well without issues.  I have a PureFix hub which has been problematic from day one which got worse with Monterey.  I'm chalking this up to cheap component manufacturers cutting corners as I've seen similar problems with USB 2.0 hubs that I got on the cheap.
    williamlondonkillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 38
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    crowley said:
    Because the dozens of cheap USB-C hubs on Amazon are all flawlessly engineered to specifications. /s

This is exactly why Apple has had hardware compatibility programs in the past, and why I typically buy the accessories listed in the Apple store.  The time and headache wasted with poor quality accessories just isn't worth the few bucks of savings.
    Solomon_Grundywilliamlondoncaddyman33WgkruegerredgeminipakillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Two Macs both using Caldigit TS3+ docks working flawlessly under MacOS Monterey.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonkillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Anyone know what the dock/hub is from the picture in the article?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    auxio said:
    crowley said:
    Because the dozens of cheap USB-C hubs on Amazon are all flawlessly engineered to specifications. /s

This is exactly why Apple has had hardware compatibility programs in the past, and why I typically buy the accessories listed in the Apple store.  The time and headache wasted with poor quality accessories just isn't worth the few bucks of savings.
    Don’t worry about the lack of ports, just use a hub, they say.  But not that hub, a more expensive one, they add, post facto.
    maciekskontaktFileMakerFellerMplsP
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Cheap hubs follow no guidelines, expect troubles 
    williamlondonkillroy
  • Reply 11 of 38
    "Other users report Apple support staff telling them to try Apple-certified hubs."

What else do I need certified by Apple? Work style and life? It worked so do not break it. This has been going with many devices for last years. BTW they broke support for their own devices like Apple Fax USB dongle years ago so, do not tell me that Apple certified would work over time either. Should I wait for Apple certified printer

Arrogance at Apple is astounding. That is why I am not missing it much while I switched to Linux Mint desktop and converted Apple MacBook Air into "MintBook Air". But I am sorry for people who still have to cope with that Apple people arrogant attitude.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 38
    auxio said:
    crowley said:

As far as cheap devices they are not poor quality and you are wrong. Many of them are higher quality than Apple (and to break news to you Apple does not manufacture them, but stamps it with its brand while electronics is manufactured and designed as standard by others "cheap" once). Those are not Mac computers, but standardized protocol devices - hubs. Same with printers. All of them work on Linux flawlessly including "Apple" yet Apple engineering cannot figure it out to make work the same way.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Not true. They actually follow standards. The expensive once frequently do not. Apple is the biggest company that does not follow standards. It did not even in SSD disks areas years ago using proprietary controller that was on board rather than with memory like everybody else did. hence you had to buy "special" SSD just to satisfy bad idea design that did not make for performance anything, but kept you with buying overpriced upgrades  from Apple. And unfortunately in area of SSD Apple is not even near brands like Crucial or Samsung.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Not true. They actually follow standards. The expensive once frequently do not. Apple is the biggest company that does not follow standards. It did not even in SSD disks areas years ago using proprietary controller that was on board rather than with memory like everybody else did. hence you had to buy "special" SSD just to satisfy bad idea design that did not make for performance anything, but kept you with buying overpriced upgrades  from Apple. And unfortunately in area of SSD Apple is not even near brands like Crucial or Samsung.
    You very clearly have not reviewed any real quantity of cheap hubs. While a few are good, the majority of them do not follow standards up to and including port spacing, power regulation, insulation, grounding, and more. Apple's adapters and chargers are Apple-designed, and not rebranded. As it pertains to this article, Apple does not manufacture any hubs.

Apple uses Samsung Flash cells, and is one of the largest purchasers of them from the company. It has used the vendors that Crucial use as well, Nanya being a prime example.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonFidonet127killroyMplsP
  • Reply 15 of 38
    sflocal said:
    Two Macs both using Caldigit TS3+ docks working flawlessly under MacOS Monterey.
    Those are Thunderbolt docks, not USB-C hubs.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    I'm using a Plugable USB-C hub, and all seems fine so far with my M1 MacBook Pro. 
    killroy
  • Reply 17 of 38
    No problems here. 
  • Reply 18 of 38
    killroykillroy Posts: 275member
    Using a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock and all is well.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    killroy said:
    Using a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock and all is well.
    And this article is about USB-C hubs & docks, not Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    I have 12 ports USB hub on my iMac 2020 and it works fine on Monterey. 
    FileMakerFeller