Canadian carrier set iPhone clocks back one hour, a week early

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2021
As Daylight Saving Time changes occur around the world, some iPhone users in Canada have seen their carrier jump the gun.

You can switch iPhone to manual and set a time yourself
You can switch iPhone to manual and set a time yourself

Spring forward, fall back -- it's harder than it sounds. Previously, Europeans have woken up an hour late because of Apple's iPhone alarm bug, Australians have fallen foul of an Apple Watch Series 4 issue, and iOS Calendar hasn't been immune either.

According to multiple user reports which originally cited the Rogers carrier, iPhones actually on Bell were set to mark the end of Daylight Saving Time on October 31, instead of November 7. October 31 is the end of DST in some countries, such as the UK where British Summer Time switches to Greenwich Mean Time on that date.

Bell says that the issue has now been resolved. However, the time may not automatically be corrected, and the carrier recommends users restart their phones, then go into and out of Airplane Mode.

Some clients may have experienced an incorrect time change on their phone this morning. Our teams are investigating the situation in order to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

— Bell Support (@Bell_Support)

Curiously, Canadian and US users with a Google Pixel phone were affected by a similar DST update bug in March 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Pretty sure it was Bell, not Rogers. Bell has released a statement saying that they're "looking into it".
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Canadian media is saying it’s Bell. 

• Reply 3 of 10
    I’m in Sweden and a local carrier did this years ago on a random weekday morning, causing people’s alarms to go off two hours too late. Many people late for work that day….
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I don't know about Rogers, but I definitely had this problem on Bell this morning, which also affected my iPad, my daughter's iPad, and my Apple Watch (although, oddly, not my daughter's Apple Watch SE, which was still running watchOS 8.0). My partner is on Freedom, and her iPhone was fine, even though she's running the same version of iOS that I am. Thankfully, the problem hit after my morning alarm went off. It had sorted itself out for me by around 8 a.m.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Why can't we just eliminate this time change nonsense, once and for all, since it's virtually disliked by everyone!
    edited November 2021 MacProBeatsviclauyycbaconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Why can't we just eliminate this time change nonsense, once and for all, since it's virtually disliked by everyone!
    +1 on that. They’ve slimmed down the non DST/Summer Hours interval to the point where it’s readily apparent that monkeying around with clocks no longer has any meaningful value. I’d imagine it costs billions of dollars wherever it’s employed and seems to create unnecessary complexity where none should exist. 
    sportyguy209
  • Reply 7 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Since when have carriers had control over our calendar and clock apps? WTF?

I lived in Arizona and someone called us idiots for not adhering to DST.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Canada seems to have joined European Union for some reason.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    DST is retarded to begin with, a harebrained idea by harebrained politicians trying to solve a problem they didn’t understand, creating a slew of much more severe problems as a consequence. (Sounds a lot like the current rush into renewables instead of nuclear energy…)

1) time is not arbitrary, but derived from the earth’s movement around the sun and it’s own axis.

2) the energy savings aren’t real, at least not these days, where it just means people spend time gaming, running the AC, etc. which more than makes up for the puny savings in (LED) light.

3) the economic disruption, and the wasted productivity with switching time tables multiple times per year, and not even the same day across the globe.

Don’t try to fool people by shifting clocks, simply have different business hours during summer, if you absolutely must.
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 10
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I guess they just couldn't wait to get that extra hour of sleep, eh?