Apple Silicon iMac Pro coming early 2022, says leaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    When I read the Twitter message I see the iMac (Pro) as simply being an updated 24" iMac with the M1 Pro SoC. Upgrades go to M1 Max but I am hoping Apple will turn the speed up on these to reach their full potential because they will always be connected to a power outlet.

I don't see the need for resurrecting the old iMac Pro since, as others have stated, it was a stopgap product until the Mac Pro was released. If Apple really wants to give the M1 iMac 24" an update for professional users (hate that word), they're going to have to start with at least a 30" HDR display, M1 Max as the base unit and go up from there. If Apple isn't ready to change version numbers maybe they could call an updated M1 Max for iMac an M1 Max Plus (or something less stupid). Their naming doesn't really leave room for something above Max but if you're going for an updated, large screen iMac Apple needs to effectively double the power of the M1 Max to make it worthwhile. This means increasing the speed of a single core while also going extreme on the base number of GPU cores. I don't know how much large a die Apple can design so many it's time to talk about stacking SoCs with a unified memory-level bus between the SoCs. If stacking takes up too much height, then put two SoCs next to each other on the motherboard, sharing the same heatsink. 

If Apple were to do this they'd really have to go bonkers on an M-series Mac Pro. I am hoping Apple can come up with either a proprietary SoC to SoC bus or use the latest generation PCIe bus to hold several M1 Xtreme SoCs with plenty of memory and storage. At this point nothing less than 100 GPU cores would be acceptable to start with. I'd actually like to see an iMac with 100 GPU cores. The one question I have deals with software. Can high-end software actually run 2x, 3x, 10x faster than it does now? Is there a limitation caused by software or is all speed determined by hardware?
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    MacPro said:
    danox said:
    A bit disappointing if true. Early 2022 would be a good time to release a consumer 30" iMac with the new design and a M1 Pro/Max chip with similar performance specs to the MacBook Pro. Fall 2022 is when we should see a genuine iMac Pro with a M2 (something) chip. The iMac Pro is supposed to be for professionals. It should have a desktop processor not a laptop chip. It should also cost a lot more than the consumer iMac.
    30” and above and no notch…..
    If Apple add extra screen real estate over and above the main screen area and move the menu bar into it what difference does it make if that has a camera in the middle?

See this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1ElqW5dEY   Must see the notch is a cluster F.

And it won’t go away……it will fester like that crappy keyboard on the earlier laptop too much money is being spend for it to go quietly into the night.
    edited November 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 25
    No Mention as to how many USB C (Thunderbolt 4 Ports) there are.   Seems every Apple Silicon to date has less USB capable ports than the previous model it replaces.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    MacPro said:
    danox said:
    A bit disappointing if true. Early 2022 would be a good time to release a consumer 30" iMac with the new design and a M1 Pro/Max chip with similar performance specs to the MacBook Pro. Fall 2022 is when we should see a genuine iMac Pro with a M2 (something) chip. The iMac Pro is supposed to be for professionals. It should have a desktop processor not a laptop chip. It should also cost a lot more than the consumer iMac.
    30” and above and no notch…..
    If Apple add extra screen real estate over and above the main screen area and move the menu bar into it what difference does it make if that has a camera in the middle?
    because people need something to grip about.  He tends to think what matters to him applies to everyone else.  
    williamlondonMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    rob53 said:
    When I read the Twitter message I see the iMac (Pro) as simply being an updated 24" iMac with the M1 Pro SoC. Upgrades go to M1 Max but I am hoping Apple will turn the speed up on these to reach their full potential because they will always be connected to a power outlet.

I don't see the need for resurrecting the old iMac Pro since, as others have stated, it was a stopgap product until the Mac Pro was released. If Apple really wants to give the M1 iMac 24" an update for professional users (hate that word), they're going to have to start with at least a 30" HDR display, M1 Max as the base unit and go up from there. If Apple isn't ready to change version numbers maybe they could call an updated M1 Max for iMac an M1 Max Plus (or something less stupid). Their naming doesn't really leave room for something above Max but if you're going for an updated, large screen iMac Apple needs to effectively double the power of the M1 Max to make it worthwhile. This means increasing the speed of a single core while also going extreme on the base number of GPU cores. I don't know how much large a die Apple can design so many it's time to talk about stacking SoCs with a unified memory-level bus between the SoCs. If stacking takes up too much height, then put two SoCs next to each other on the motherboard, sharing the same heatsink. 

If Apple were to do this they'd really have to go bonkers on an M-series Mac Pro. I am hoping Apple can come up with either a proprietary SoC to SoC bus or use the latest generation PCIe bus to hold several M1 Xtreme SoCs with plenty of memory and storage. At this point nothing less than 100 GPU cores would be acceptable to start with. I'd actually like to see an iMac with 100 GPU cores. The one question I have deals with software. Can high-end software actually run 2x, 3x, 10x faster than it does now? Is there a limitation caused by software or is all speed determined by hardware?
    Given the article on MacBook 16 vs MacPro a iMac Pro might still be needed as a stop gap.