Steve Wozniak 'can't tell the difference' between iPhone 12 and iPhone 13

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is reportedly unimpressed with the iPhone 13, saying it's indistinguishable from the iPhone 12.

Steve Wozniak
Steve Wozniak

Steve Wozniak has recently come out against Apple over its stance on the right to repair, but now he's also a little critical of the latest iPhone, according to Yahoo Finance.

"I got the new iPhone," he said. "I can't tell the difference, really. The software that's in it applies to older iPhones, I presume."

"I worry about largeness and size," he continued, "but I don't study it. I'm just into if products are good."

For a co-founder of Apple who revolutionized the technology industry, Wozniak is regularly an advocate of sticking with devices instead of always upgrading. He has previously said he wouldn't get an iPhone X because his then iPhone 8 was perfectly fine.

Seemingly from the same interview, Business Insider quotes Wozniak as adding more about upgrading devices.

"In technology it's like you always want to kind of keep up with the newest and sometimes you are five years behind, seven years behind, you know," he said, "and it's still working for you and it's just like that's where the sales come from."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    That 15 minutes ran out long ago. 
    longpathmwhitemike1suddenly newtonMacProomasouwilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 2 of 64
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    I can tell the difference. The battery life in my iPhone 13 Pro Max is MUCH better than that in my 12 Pro Max. The screen with ProMotion is excellent. The photos I take are better, especially night time shots.

There may not be many differences, but what can you expect for a new device every year? Should it be a different shape? Have 100 camera lenses? Have under-screen Face ID and Touch ID? Should it sense when you're feeling sad and play uplifting music? It's iterative; there aren't massive leaps each year.
    applesnorangeslongpathjas9912StrangersStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 3 of 64
    WHO CARES what this guy thinks? Why does the media (including AI) give him all of this attention? What has he accomplished since that gives him credibility? Seriously…
    mike1techconcMacProwilliamlondon12StrangersStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Wozniack - inconsequential since forever. Can't tell a plate of vegetables from a plate of chocolate eclairs.
    techconcMacPro12Strangersjony0
  • Reply 5 of 64
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    What is wrong with you people?

This is Woz, the guy who created Apple.  The Steve who REALLY created apple, not the attention whore Steve who liked taking credit for what Woz did.

And he's absolutely right.  The iPhone 13 is effectively no different than the 12, which is no different than the 11.  Phones are a mature technology, and pretending that a new model every year is somehow going to be an amazing upgrade is idiotic at this point.

"But battery life is better!" - Guess what?  That's not innovation, Apple could have done that all along, all it takes is making the phone thicker so a bigger battery fits inside.  We could have iPhones that work for a week without charging if Apple really gave up on the idiotic thin fetish.
    shareef777beowulfschmidtDAalsethavon b7rcfaalfscatslibertymatterselijahgxyzzy01williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 64
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Right on cue, Woz pops up to remind everybody he’s still alive. I can definitely tell the difference in battery life and photo improvements, but I’m still not completely sold on ProMotion on the iPhone yet. It feels a bit buggy compared to my 12, especially when using the app switcher. Sometimes I have to swipe up 3-4 times before successfully closing an app, but I’m not sure if this might just be an issue with iOS. Does anyone using a 12 have this issue? 
    MacProjony0
  • Reply 7 of 64
    darkvader said:

This is Woz, the guy who created Apple.  The Steve who REALLY created apple, not the attention whore Steve who liked taking credit for what Woz did.

And he's absolutely right.  The iPhone 13 is effectively no different than the 12, which is no different than the 11.  Phones are a mature technology, and pretending that a new model every year is somehow going to be an amazing upgrade is idiotic at this point.

"But battery life is better!" - Guess what?  That's not innovation, Apple could have done that all along, all it takes is making the phone thicker so a bigger battery fits inside.  We could have iPhones that work for a week without charging if Apple really gave up on the idiotic thin fetish.
    Complete bollocks re The Steves: They needed each other. It’s not either / or. 
    petrimuthuk_vanalingamlongpathjas99auxiomwhitejeffharrisMacProStrangeDaysbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 64
    It’s currently about 100 quid, Steve. 
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Wozniack - inconsequential since forever. Can't tell a plate of vegetables from a plate of chocolate eclairs.
    C’mon. Do you seriously think if you put a plate of each in front of him that he would accidentally grab the vegetables?
    mike1cornchipMacProwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 64
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 186member
    The iPhone 8 came out the same year as the X, why would he 'upgrade'. 
    JapheycornchipMacsWithPenguinsjony0
  • Reply 11 of 64
    sirdir said:
    The iPhone 8 came out the same year as the X, why would he 'upgrade'. 
    Lol, how did I miss that? Nice catch. 
    MacProMacsWithPenguinsjony0
  • Reply 12 of 64
    darkvader said:

you see, thats the thing everyone only talks about, about wozniak - that he was the co-founder of apple because since then, he really hasn't been relevant in tech at all or had made any ground-breaking achievements... in fact he has and still is sitting back and making comments to blogs and whatnots for a quick-buck. Can't blame me for not taking his words or opinions with any degree of seriousness... 
    hucom2000mwhiteMacProwilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Wozniak only worked like 10% in total Apple's existence and that makes him some sort of expert?
    williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 14 of 64
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    The thing is, all Apple are doing is continually improving their product.  That doesn’t and shouldn’t mean completely reinventing it every year, and it absolutely doesn’t mean that anyone must or should upgrade every year.  If the improvements in one year don’t interest you then great, keep your money, there’s nothing else to say about that.

The fact that the 13 doesn’t completely invalidate and obsolete the 12 shouldn’t be a criticism of Apple; the problem is that anyone might expect it to.
    DAalsethjas99mwhitejeffharrisjellybellyequality72521StrangeDaysFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 15 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jfc, everyone wants to be tearing a guy down.  It's just an opinion, if you don't care then move on.
    elijahgcuriousrun8
  • Reply 16 of 64
    darkvader said:

Pretty obvious that Apple's fanboys are ultra devout. I'd say even more than the Trump cult following. Any HINT of a non-glowing review of ANYTHING related to Apple and they jump into action like some sort of band of brothers.

As you said, phones are mature technologies and nothing substantial has changed with them in years. On a related note, I'd be curious what he thinks of the M1Pro/Max based MacBooks. Now there's a substantial performance jump that's worth noting and not seen in a mobile device going from year to year in a VERY long time (if ever).
    When is the last time you heard Woz say something positive about Apple? He no doubt does, it’s just that the negative comments get far more clicks than the positive ones do. I haven’t looked online yet, but I guarantee I’ll see this story 20 times today from 20 different sources. I’d be very interested to hear his opinions on the M1 Pro/Max too, but if that interview exists at all, it definitely won’t be reported ad nauseam by everybody and their mother. 
    jas99mwhitejeffharrisMacProFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 17 of 64
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    darkvader said:

Pretty obvious that Apple's fanboys are ultra devout. I'd say even more than the Trump cult following. Any HINT of a non-glowing review of ANYTHING related to Apple and they jump into action like some sort of band of brothers.

As you said, phones are mature technologies and nothing substantial has changed with them in years. On a related note, I'd be curious what he thinks of the M1Pro/Max based MacBooks. Now there's a substantial performance jump that's worth noting and not seen in a mobile device going from year to year in a VERY long time (if ever).
    The “Trump cult” is nearly 75 million people.  And as an Apple fan, I’m happy to criticize the company when it screws up.  On this topic, Woz has been living on his reputation for 40 years.  
    notwichredtommikeleMacProwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 18 of 64
    I can easily tell the difference between my wife’s 12 mini and my 13 mini, from camera functionality alone. With all respect and gratitude to Mr Wozniak, I must presume that his criteria is purely aesthetic, with no regard for functionality at all. 
    jas99tommikele
  • Reply 19 of 64
    hucom2000 said:
    WHO CARES what this guy thinks? Why does the media (including AI) give him all of this attention? What has he accomplished since that gives him credibility? Seriously…

you sure don’t know what you’re talking about 😂

williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Wow. Until The Woz pointed it out, I couldn’t tell!

Genius.