Move over Apple polishing cloth - Samsung has Z Flip jeans

Posted:
in General Discussion
If a $19 Apple-branded polishing cloth wasn't silly enough, Samsung and Dr Denim have released the $1100 "Z Flip Pocket Denim" jeans with only a single pocket dedicated to the eponymous smartphone.

Launched on Monday, the Z Flip Pocket Denim is a promotional bundle which packages the Galaxy Z Flip3 with a pair of jeans. Designed between Samsung and Dr Denim, the jeans are customized in an unusual way.

As a foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Z Flip3 is said by Samsung to provide "the very best in design and pocketability," which lends itself to the jeans customization. Due to no longer needing large pockets to hold a bulky smartphone, the jeans are ridiculously produced with just one usable pocket.

Both back pockets have been removed, with one moved to the front thigh and sized to accommodate the Galaxy Z Flip3's dimensions. The remaining front pockets of the jeans are sealed by two large sticked Zs, rending them effectively unusable except to further promote the smartphone.

"We wanted to take a classic, blue jean and rework it to create a modern and unique take that shows off the Galaxy Z Flip3," said Dr Denim's Mattias Friberg. "We feel the new Z Flip Pocket Denim is a welcome, if not limited, addition to the Dr Denim family, and we're thrilled to partner with Samsung to bring these stylish jeans to life."

Unveiled in August, the Galaxy Z Flip3 is a smartphone with a 6.7-inch Infinity Flex Display that folds in the middle, similar to a flip phone. When the 2,640 by 1,080 screen is folded up, an external 1.9-inch Super AMOLED display is visible on the outside, providing notifications.

Powering the device is an octa-core Snapdragon 888 with 8GB of memory and either 128GB or 256GB of storage. The cameras on the back are 12-megapixel shooters covering wide and ultra-wide angles, accompanied by a 10MP front-facing camera.

The limited-edition bundle of jeans and the included Galaxy Z Flip3 is limited to 450 pairs, and will use "bespoke, stylish packaging." They cost AUS $1,499 ($1,120) in both men's and women's styles, through Dr Denim's Australia website.

The Samsung jeans aren't the only fabric-related item connected to a tech giant that could garner criticism from observers. Apple's introduction of the $19 cleaning clothprompted mockery and a tongue-in-cheek iFixit teardown, as well as unexpectedly high sales with delivery estimates stretching to January.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Now THAT is courage!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    AUS $1500? Someone waw Samsung coming along with their customers.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    $1,120 jeans just created for flip phone? Um.. no thanks. You can easily sew a pocket and it's all taken care of. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    zzzzzzzzzz
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The level of cringe has just reached an entirely new, idiotic level from these asshats...
    chadbaghcrefugeeSpitbathBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    And Samsung makes a hobby  of mocking Apple.  This is  made for mockery initiative.   Unfortunately it is not April.  
    williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Someone should have stayed away from the Brown Acid.
    JapheyBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Silly? Apple’s cloth is sold out through at least January.
    Spitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    bluefire1 said:
    Yeah, it's absolutely silly, and I stand by it.

It's not a requirement for a product to be good or make sense to be sold out.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 23
    bluefire1 said:
    Sounds like somebody forgot to put socks on his iPods this morning.
    williamlondonSpitbathStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    netrox said:
    $1,120 jeans just created for flip phone? Um.. no thanks. You can easily sew a pocket and it's all taken care of. 
    I think the jeans are dumb, but that price includes the phone as well, so the jeans themselves are about $100. Still ridiculous, but not nearly $1100+ ridiculous.
    MacsWithPenguinsGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    No tears no rips, no style no fashion. ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    bluefire1 said:
    Funny story - I ran into a pile of them at Target about a year after they were discontinued. At $2 per multipack, I couldn't resist. I may still have an unopened box around here someplace in my bins!
    williamlondonking editor the grateStrangeDaysMacsWithPenguinsGG1
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bluefire1 said:
    Funny story - I ran into a pile of them at Target about a year after they were discontinued. At $2 per multipack, I couldn't resist. I may still have an unopened box around here someplace in my bins!
    Based on quick web searches, you invested your money quite wisely! If you bought Target out that day, you might be able to retire.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    bluefire1 said:

Why is it silly to buy a $19 cloth guaranteed to work well on a $6,000 nano-textured pro monitor? I imagine that’s what it’s designed for, considering it cites the nano-texture displays in the product description.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonJFC_PABeatsqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Yeah, as some people have pointed out, it’s the smartphone you pay for + the jeans 🙂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    bluefire1 said:

Why is it silly to buy a $19 cloth guaranteed to work well on a $6,000 nano-textured pro monitor? I imagine that’s what it’s designed for, considering it cites the nano-texture displays in the product description.
    1. Because the Pro Display XDR and the iMac 5K customized with the nano texture comes with it.
    2. Because Pro Display XDR owners and the iMac 5K customized with the nano texture can get one for free through Apple support periodically.
    3. Because it is a bog-standard microfiber suede cloth, available for about $7 per yard.
    4. Because literally no other product requires it.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 23
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    And most tragically 

5. IFixit gave it a zero, ZERO! Repairability rating  in their review. 

ZERO!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    bluefire1 said:

1. Because the Pro Display XDR and the iMac 5K customized with the nano texture comes with it.
    2. Because Pro Display XDR owners and the iMac 5K customized with the nano texture can get one for free through Apple support periodically.
    3. Because it is a bog-standard microfiber suede cloth, available for about $7 per yard.
    So it's a replacement for the one that comes with the very expensive nano-textured displays, right. You're assuming you can always get one from support for free for life, but I'm not. (Support hasn't ever given me anything for free, so I'm dubious about that policy)

This is clearly a product aimed at those customers buying the high-end nano-texture displays. It's not for your iPhone, thus there's nothing silly about buying it for your high-end nano-textured display if you've lost yours, and don't seem able to get one for free from support, which you may or may not have, at some point in its lifetime.

I'm also perplexed by those who believe every available product is intended for them, and that if it isn't, it's silly. Apple sells lots of things you may not need, and some of them may be over-priced, too. This is not noteworthy.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    bluefire1 said:

So it's a replacement for the one that comes with the very expensive nano-textured displays, right. You're assuming you can always get one from support for free for life, but I'm not. (Support hasn't ever given me anything for free, so I'm dubious about that policy)

This is clearly a product aimed at those customers buying the high-end nano-texture displays. It's not for your iPhone, thus there's nothing silly about buying it for your high-end nano-textured display if you've lost yours, and don't seem able to get one for free from support, which you may or may not have, at some point in its lifetime.

I'm also perplexed by those who believe every available product is intended for them, and that if it isn't, it's silly. Apple sells lots of things you may not need, and some of them may be over-priced, too. This is not noteworthy.
    I don't believe the product is intended for me, and there's lots of Apple products that aren't. That doesn't stop me from thinking, saying, and approving of Malcolm's remarks that this particular offering is silly. For example: The Mac Pro tower is not for me. Yet, I don't think that's silly. The iPhone 12 or 13 mini isn't either, nor is the current iPhone SE. Neither of those are silly.

Given what you know I've said about people doing the same for the last six years here, and five in a previous venue, it's ludicrous to attach that "not for me = silly" sentiment to me. You're welcome to believe that it isn't noteworthy all you like, of course, and you can believe what you want about Apple's present service policies regarding the cloth.

You skipped my point #3, fwiw. $7 per yard. Of course, that doesn't have an embossed Apple logo.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam