Steve Wozniak 'can't tell the difference' between iPhone 12 and iPhone 13

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    hucom2000 said:
    WHO CARES what this guy thinks? Why does the media (including AI) give him all of this attention? What has he accomplished since that gives him credibility? Seriously…
    I sure do not care he does not live in my real world. The 13 ProMax for reasons I just mentioned in another reply made major improvements.  But we are the little people they have to talk to “important” people who often have not done much in years.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    darkvader said:
    What is wrong with you people?

This is Woz, the guy who created Apple.  The Steve who REALLY created apple, not the attention whore Steve who liked taking credit for what Woz did.

And he's absolutely right.  The iPhone 13 is effectively no different than the 12, which is no different than the 11.  Phones are a mature technology, and pretending that a new model every year is somehow going to be an amazing upgrade is idiotic at this point.

"But battery life is better!" - Guess what?  That's not innovation, Apple could have done that all along, all it takes is making the phone thicker so a bigger battery fits inside.  We could have iPhones that work for a week without charging if Apple really gave up on the idiotic thin fetish.
    Well as I mentioned for me personally, others experience may vary, it was not just battery life as nice as that is, the new Qualcomm 5G Modem for my weak cell area as I suspected was better than the 12 ProMax (even though that was better than the crappy intel LTE modems), night mode has improved along with ability to do cool night sky shots, they had not gotten the 1 TB memory in 12 like I hoped but 13 ProMax has it and for me lots of space to store my photos and files and such on the portable computer my 13 ProMax is. I find the photos better, the macro mode was important for me. So when I add it up — personally for features it was a big gain for me, bigger than 11 to 12 was to be honest. But yes this is all subjective, and ultimately the market will tell us who is right LOL
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 64
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    Woz is right.

Sure, 13 is better than 12: The CPU is faster, the screen is a little better on some, the battery life is improved, the camera is a little better. However, all of these were pretty good already. This is evolution, not revolution.

It's not like the early days when we got 3G, then retina displays, next year touch ID - and exciting new designs every 2 years.  The tech is fairly mature now.

Same with the software offerings - the novelties in this year's release were very minor. E.g. I don't expect to ever bother using SharePlay.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 64
    xyzzy01 said:
    Woz is right.

Sure, 13 is better than 12: The CPU is faster, the screen is a little better on some, the battery life is improved, the camera is a little better. However, all of these were pretty good already. This is evolution, not revolution.

It's not like the early days when we got 3G, then retina displays, next year touch ID - and exciting new designs every 2 years.  The tech is fairly mature now.

Same with the software offerings - the novelties in this year's release were very minor. E.g. I don't expect to ever bother using SharePlay.
    True but the improvements for me were a bit more important in the 12-13 ProMax evolution than what I felt I got in the 11 to 12 ProMax evolution as good as they were.  But as we can all agree the importance of the evolutionary changes probably varies for each person. If they did not do the iUP program I probably would wait more like I do in my iPad and MacBook (every 3-4 years leaning towards 4 years). So for the M1 MacBooks for example my late 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro still does all I need so I will wait several more years and just save up for new model as it gets to have issues and not allow me to use features and new updates. More important is security since I do on line banking and orders although I can keep most of that to iphone and ipad and keep MacBooks even longer
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    techconc said:
    darkvader said:

This is Woz, the guy who created Apple.  The Steve who REALLY created apple, not the attention whore Steve who liked taking credit for what Woz did.

And he's absolutely right.  The iPhone 13 is effectively no different than the 12, which is no different than the 11.  Phones are a mature technology, and pretending that a new model every year is somehow going to be an amazing upgrade is idiotic at this point.

"But battery life is better!" - Guess what?  That's not innovation, Apple could have done that all along, all it takes is making the phone thicker so a bigger battery fits inside.  We could have iPhones that work for a week without charging if Apple really gave up on the idiotic thin fetish.
    Woz was indeed a brilliant engineer back in the ‘80s.  Sadly, since then, he’s been little more than an irrelevant quote whore for the media.  The media knows this and they continue to take advantage of him when they’re looking for a quick controversial quote from someone who is quite irrelevant today.
    Er, in the 70s.  
  • Reply 46 of 64
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    It's a silly point, of course. Annual model upgrades slowly introduce new features into the line, with the target customer being either someone new to Apple or someone whose prior iPhone is several years old. Introducing a new model that's earth-shatteringly better just makes the people who spent $1,000+ on last year's model angry, and potential customers for this year's model think they should maybe expect and wait for next year's earth-shattering new features.

Woz is indeed the co-founder of Apple, but he and Jobs diverged in their approach when the original Mac was released. Jobs envisioned the closed hardware/software concept that is at the heart of Apple's business model, while Woz wanted to make computers more like (and compatible with) what everyone else was doing. Ultimately, Woz is not Apple's target customer. He's a Linux or Windows guy who made some cool computers back in the 70s, but never actually bought into what makes Apple different. The truth is, if Apple had gone in Wozniak's direction, it would be little more than a Wikipedia article by now.
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 47 of 64
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Every year, I think...I won't upgrade this year...then every year they significanly improve the camera...again.

I'm sure he sees the difference in his stock portfolio value with each iteration of the iPhone.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Who cares about his opinion. If he wanted Apple to do better than he should have stayed with the company. It is easy shouting at the sideline!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 49 of 64
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    darkvader said:

“Wiz created Apple and Steve Jobs is a liar”

are you lunatic?

Glad I quit the forum for so long.
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 50 of 64
    darkvader said:

Complete bollocks re The Steves: They needed each other. It’s not either / or. 
    He’s a troll who will post once and never reply.  I bet he’s one of those “Apple II still the best” person that basically hates everything new.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Still better than all the random and various android knockoffs he champions.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    darkvader said:

Ignorance on parade - battery life absolutely is innovation. You don’t merely increase the capacity, you improve the silicon and the software. Literal definition of innovation. 

Don’t quit your day job (and I hope/assume it’s not tech)
    williamlondonwinstoner71
  • Reply 53 of 64
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    darkvader said:

Ignorance on parade - battery life absolutely is innovation. You don’t merely increase the capacity, you improve the silicon and the software. Literal definition of innovation. 

Don’t quit your day job (and I hope/assume it’s not tech)
    Does trolling tech forums count as tech?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 64
    MacPro said:
    techconc said:
    Woz was indeed a brilliant engineer back in the ‘80s.  Sadly, since then, he’s been little more than an irrelevant quote whore for the media.  The media knows this and they continue to take advantage of him when they’re looking for a quick controversial quote from someone who is quite irrelevant today.
    Er, in the 70s.  
    Yeah, late 70’s and early 80’s.  I mentioned 80’s as that was his last contribution / moment of relevance.  I loved my Apple //e that was released in January 1983 for example.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    We bought a Honda CR-V Hybrid last December, and found out the only significant difference between 2020 and 2021 models was a $600 price increase (and the adjusted value from being a model year older). Since we were leasing, that mitigated a lot of our concerns about buying the “older” car, and since it was replacing a 2006 CR-V, either model year would be a massive improvement. 

Wozniak’s comment is the whining of bored, over-privileged tech nerds. The product category is mature. There Is no reason to buy a new iPhone every year except the money and desire to do so. Otherwise, an owner of an iPhone 12 (like me) may not see a reason to make a change, but someone with a XR, or 8 Plus—or a Galaxy 9 or Pixel—may find an irresistible package. 

Just as folks don’t replace their cars annually, phones are now commonly held for 2-5 years. Apple doesn’t have to appeal to the owners of 12s, but instead to the owners of 3+ year old phones. And while Wozniak barely stifles a yawn when he looks at his new 13, the company may well set new global sales figures again this season. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 64
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    pwrmac said:
    Who cares about his opinion. If he wanted Apple to do better than he should have stayed with the company. It is easy shouting at the sideline!
    You cared enough to comment on his opinion.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 64
    maybe he's holding it wrong...
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Same could be said for the follow on variants of both the Apple ][ and the Mac. 

I love Woz but don’t really care when he holds forth on such things because most of his opinions today are nonsense. He’s a good hearted historical figure who’s grown largely irrelevant. 
    williamlondoncitpeksMacPro
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Same could be said for the follow on variants of both the Apple ][ and the Mac. 

I love Woz but don’t really care when he holds forth on such things because most of his opinions today are nonsense. He’s a good hearted historical figure who’s grown largely irrelevant. 
    He should say "I don't see a big difference" instead of "no difference", which the latter isn't true.

I get what he means, though, and I tend to agree, but I don't see why you'd buy a 12 when you can have 13, so...
  • Reply 60 of 64
    This is a NEW issue with my iPhone 11 Pro Max, so it’s an iOS issue. I notice the problem the most in Maps, though it mostly just crashes on me. My phone was mostly flawless before this latest iOS release. 

Japhey said:
    Right on cue, Woz pops up to remind everybody he’s still alive. I can definitely tell the difference in battery life and photo improvements, but I’m still not completely sold on ProMotion on the iPhone yet. It feels a bit buggy compared to my 12, especially when using the app switcher. Sometimes I have to swipe up 3-4 times before successfully closing an app, but I’m not sure if this might just be an issue with iOS. Does anyone using a 12 have this issue? 

williamlondon