OWC Thunderbolt Hub review: Three Thunderbolt ports from one host connector

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2021
OWC's Thunderbolt Hub is the world's first dock that will give you more Thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports than it occupies on your MacBook Pro, but it's not for everybody.

There are many docks on the market that offer ways to add more ports to the usually port-constrained MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. Along with offering more ports to use than Apple supplies in its products, docks and hubs provide display and peripheral connectivity to a host Mac through a single cable, one that even offers a way to power the Mac too.

A "normal" Thunderbolt dock connects through one of a Mac's Thunderbolt ports and provides access to a plethora of other types of ports that for the most part on its portable line, Apple has not seen fit to include. With the OWC Thunderbolt Dock, the focus is on Thunderbolt, with the port on the front intended for the host Mac, and the three on the other side for Thunderbolt connectivity to peripherals and the like.

It's not all Thunderbolt, as there is one single USB-A 3.2 connection along for the ride, as well as the obligatory power-in port, Kensington Nano slot, and indicator LEDs. All this is housed in an aluminum and plastic housing that's 4.6 inches long, 2.9 inches wide, 0.7 inches thick, and 7.3 ounces in weight.

The case top gets a little hot in use, but it's not terrible. Using a non-contact thermometer, we saw temperatures of about 45C in a 20C ambient room. Warm, but not hot to the touch. The OWC logo is a bit bright, but this is solvable with a bit of electrical tape.

Honestly, there's not a huge amount of technical assessment needed here. I tried the OWC Thunderbolt hub on an assortment of machines, ranging back to a 2016 MacBook Pro. The long and the short of it is, as long as the machine is running Big Sur or newer, this simple box will give you three Thunderbolt 3 ports and a USB-A port in the place of one Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 port.

Wait, a hub that provides multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports?

Typically, Thunderbolt relies on daisy-chaining, one device after another, occupying just one Thunderbolt port on the host Mac. The problem with this situation is that if you disconnect a device in the middle of the chain, you break the chain for further-away devices, which will remain disconnected until they rejoin the chain.

The OWC Thunderbolt Hub beats this limitation by allowing users to create separate "tree branch" chains. In effect, you can remove one of the three branches by disconnecting it from the hub, without impacting devices connected to either of the two remaining Thunderbolt ports.

And, you can still daisy-chain devices downstream, if you're loaded with Thunderbolt or USB-C peripherals.

OWC also reasons that this could be beneficial to users of multiple drives. In a usual chain, drives are recommended to be as close to the host as possible, to maximize the amount of data it has access to without being impacted by other devices. Meanwhile, bus-powered drive use is limited as you have to put them last on the chain and are limited to one per chain.

With the hub, it means users could connect up to three bus-powered Thunderbolt drives at the same time, all to one single port on the host.

The entire chain is still bandwidth-limited to 40 gigabits per second, with no one device taking more than 32 gigabits per second -- but that's fine. If you're doing just about anything short of dual eGPUs or data transfers between two NVMe-based SSDs, you're realistically not going to hit that often, if at all.

OWC Thunderbolt Hub - display and peripheral support

With Thunderbolt's ability to handle video, you can obviously connect monitors to the Thunderbolt Hub. It is capable of supporting a single 8K or 5K display at up to 60Hz, one 4K display at 120Hz, or two 4K displays at 60Hz assuming the host can handle it. We tested two 4K displays at 60Hz on a 2018 Intel Mac mini, and on a 16-inch M1 Max MacBook Pro with a USB-C to HDMI cable and a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and had no issues.

In the event your host device doesn't have Thunderbolt available, such as a PC with USB-C, you could still use the hub with it, but you will be limited to a maximum bandwidth of up to 10Gb/s through USB-C -- which is fine, and more than enough for even an eight hard drive array per port.

To ensure it works perfectly with your Mac, OWC includes software like the OWC Dock Ejector, for safely disconnecting multiple drives connected to the hub by making sure that all data writes are completed beforehand. There's also a driver for that app that enables rare support for the Apple SuperDrive with the hub's USB-A port.

OWC Thunderbolt Hub - power considerations

You do get power delivery to a host device with the hub, with it providing up to 60 watts of charging power. This is certainly adequate enough for a 13-inch MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, or even older Intel models, but it doesn't quite seem enough.

We'd like it to provide 87W of power to the host device, to support a larger MacBook Pro a little better, though. That said, it drives a 14-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro processor just fine, and under massive load, the battery will slowly drain.

We don't recommend using it with the 16-inch MacBook Pro as a power supply, just because of the screen's extra power demands. Under little load with the new 16-inch MacBook Pro, the battery will charge, albeit slowly.

Under any meaningful load at all, the battery will drain about 3% per hour. Better than nothing, but not what you'd call ideal.

Why did you buy this?

My own use for this is as an ersatz Thunderbolt extender. My Mac mini server is underneath the plane of a desk, sitting on top of a Thunderbolt RAID enclosure for mass storage. We're using it to bring the connection "topside" as it were.

So, in this case, we'd prefer the Thunderbolt host connect on the opposite side of the dock, instead of having to wrap the power cable around to the back. This isn't a big deal, and is probably just fine for most users, as the USB-A stuff is the generally the routinely swapped devices, and the Thunderbolt 3 stuff is the permanent plugs.

The 60W power limitation isn't a big deal for this use case. But, I also assume that folks extending like this may need more and different ports.

Targeted product for specific needs

You'd think at this point, I'd be hip-deep in Thunderbolt docks. The reality is, nearly everything we review are loaned to us for the review by the vendor, and returned shortly thereafter.

So for our personal projects, like my continued Mac mini-based home server effort, we buy our own gear. And, the OWC Thunderbolt hub is no exception.

OWC has answered the problem of limited Thunderbolt ports on the first round of M1 Macs, as well as giving users more choice in how they connect Thunderbolt hardware. For owners of MacBooks that don't need a lot of power and want a basic dock with power delivery for a single-cable connection, the OWC Thunderbolt Hub could be a viable solution.

The slightly lacking power delivery may not be the best for more powerful MacBook Pro owners, who will need to add more power through other means. But the extra Thunderbolt connectivity it provides still makes it attractive to the right user.

This isn't for everybody. But for the few workflows that need multiple Thunderbolt ports in a tree downstream of a single port on the host machine, it fits that niche perfectly.

The all-mighty Google demands a score, and this product a hard one to assign a universal score to. It will be of little use for most folks, and the $179 retail price for it is better spent on a USB 3.2 Type C dock, or a Thunderbolt dock with more legacy ports.

For folks that just need a dock and don't need a pile of Thunderbolt, there are better options, and this is a 2 out of 5.

But, if you need more Thunderbolt, it's the only game in town that's actively shipping right now -- but the 60W is baffling. This isn't a consumer-centric product, and the "pro" market probably needs more power. For that market, this is a 4 out of 5 product, only hampered by the 60W power delivery.

Score: 3.5 out of 5

Pros
  • More Thunderbolt!

• Bundled software protects your data
Cons
  • Expensive for what ports you get beyond Thunderbolt

• Case gets hot - we'll be watching this over time

• Not enough host power

Where to buy

At press time, the OWC Thunderbolt Hub is available directly from OWC for $179.99. It periodically shows up in their about monthly garage sales for a bit less open box.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    with two sandisk ssd's plugged into the two tb ports on the m1 mini and using striped raid, i get approx 1500mb/s throughput. when i use the owc dock this drops to approx 1000mb/s. a single standalone ssd which clocks at about 750mb/s when plugged into the mini drops to about 550mb/s. owc basically blew me off after i sent them reams of test data and tried everything they suggested by saying the problem was the monterey os. first bad experience i've ever had with owc and now i'm stuck with a boat anchor. /guy
    rundhvidwatto_cobrascstrrf
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    golftango said:
    with two sandisk ssd's plugged into the two tb ports on the m1 mini and using striped raid, i get approx 1500mb/s throughput. when i use the owc dock this drops to approx 1000mb/s. a single standalone ssd which clocks at about 750mb/s when plugged into the mini drops to about 550mb/s. owc basically blew me off after i sent them reams of test data and tried everything they suggested by saying the problem was the monterey os. first bad experience i've ever had with owc and now i'm stuck with a boat anchor. /guy
    I haven't seen that problem. On a pair of NVMe-based drives I also bought after testing that did 2400 megabytes per second read and 2000 megabytes per second write, I got 2400 with one connected, and about 1500 megabytes per second with a read to one and a write to another. I haven't done SSD RAID testing, though. Which SanDisk drives?

That does feel like RAID-driver related in Monterey, but I can't say for sure, as I haven't tested it beyond finding no native support for RAID 5 in Big Sur on M1 versus having it on Intel.
    edited November 2021 rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    golftango said:
    Mac mini M1 misbehaves in certain scenarios: Without a monitor connected directly to the mini’s Thunderbolt port, throughput to external devices via Thunderbolt is limited—just as you describe it.
    I’ve read about this problem on OWC’s blog: The Rocket Yard.
    commentzillawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The ones I got came with 110W power bricks. The big TB-dock I got came with an ever bigger 135W one.
    I just checked and the OWC site specifies these power bricks.

Strange then that 60W power bricks show up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rundhvid said:
    golftango said:
    Mac mini M1 misbehaves in certain scenarios: Without a monitor connected directly to the mini’s Thunderbolt port, throughput to external devices via Thunderbolt is limited—just as you describe it.
    I’ve read about this problem on OWC’s blog: The Rocket Yard.

I have a Mac Mini M1, owc thunderbolt enclosure and SSD. I use HDMI for video. If my oldest 4k BenQ EL2870U (28", 3840 x 2160 Pixels) is connected, disk speed is 1.8gb/s. If I connect a newer Samsung U32R594CWR (32", 4K UHD) , speed is around 3.5gb/s
    still a mystery to me of why that happens …

watto_cobrarundhvid
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The ones I got came with 110W power bricks. The big TB-dock I got came with an ever bigger 135W one.
    I just checked and the OWC site specifies these power bricks.

Strange then that 60W power bricks show up.
    This is 60W power delivery to the host. The brick is more than that, but it will only ever deliver 60W to the computer it is connected to.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    golftango said:
    I haven't seen that problem. On a pair of NVMe-based drives I also bought after testing that did 2400 megabytes per second read and 2000 megabytes per second write, I got 2400 with one connected, and about 1500 megabytes per second with a read to one and a write to another. I haven't done SSD RAID testing, though. Which SanDisk drives?

That does feel like RAID-driver related in Monterey, but I can't say for sure, as I haven't tested it beyond finding no native support for RAID 5 in Big Sur on M1 versus having it on Intel.
    This I real problem with USB 3.1, 3.2 and 3.2 (2x2) drives that I have been complaining about since DEC 2020. It’s easily reproducible and affects every TB4 dock I tested and returned to OWC, CalDigit, Akito, etc.

TB3 dock’s perform OK but TB4 aren’t even worth buying if your using any fast USB SSD drives.
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This is 60W power delivery to the host. The brick is more than that, but it will only ever deliver 60W to the computer it is connected to.
    I have had my 2016 15"MBP on one for a while and it charged and delivered power down the line as if it was on its own 85W charger. Never a problem. So that should all have been below 60W. I don't have the means for checking this at the moment, but I have difficulty believing that my MBP while charging at full speed and powering gear connected to it consumed less than 60W. Though I may be mistaken of course.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Article says that this Thunderbolt 4 dock is “the only game in town” that’s currently shipping, which isn’t exactly true.

I got my Sonnet Thunderbolt 4 dock last week, and it works great.  And offers 90W of power.  And slightly faster SD card read speeds.  And it has stayed very cool to the touch.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo11-thunderbolt4-dock/overview.html
    edited November 2021 watto_cobrascstrrf
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Article says that this Thunderbolt 4 dock is “the only game in town” that’s currently shipping, which isn’t exactly true.

I got my Sonnet Thunderbolt 4 dock last week, and it works great.  And offers 90W of power.  And slightly faster SD card read speeds.  And it has stayed very cool to the touch.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo11-thunderbolt4-dock/overview.html
    I’m glad that they’re shipping and have some in stock. On Monday, when I asked, neither they nor Sonnet expected to have any until January.
    rundhvidmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrascstrrf
  • Reply 11 of 12
    It strikes me as odd that the reviewer has reduced the "star" rating of this multi-Thunderbolt expansion dock because he judges the product not to be a cost-effective solution for the type of user who doesn't need a multi-Thunderbolt expansion dock. I'm like, “Whut?”
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jdmc said:
    It strikes me as odd that the reviewer has reduced the "star" rating of this multi-Thunderbolt expansion dock because he judges the product not to be a cost-effective solution for the type of user who doesn't need a multi-Thunderbolt expansion dock. I'm like, “Whut?”
    I’m not sure you read the review, but okay.