Facebook's Nick Clegg says Apple privacy moves are 'commercial land grab'

Posted:
in iOS
Sir Nick Clegg has accused Apple of double standards, in claiming it is protecting user privacy while really abusing the power of iOS and its dominant position in the market.

Ex-UK politician Sir Nick Clegg is head of global affairs at Meta
Ex-UK politician Sir Nick Clegg is head of global affairs at Meta

Ex-UK politician Sir Nick Clegg, head of global affairs at Facebook parent company Meta, says Apple's App Tracking Transparancy is about profit, not privacy. Speaking at the Web Summit technology conference in Lisbon, he questioned Apple's motives.

"This is an old-fashioned commercial land grab where they are using their dominant position in one of the leading operating systems to tilt the scales in their favour," said Clegg, according to The Times.

"It's absolutely not some highfalutin', high-minded reason," he continued. "We think this is a flagrant example of double standards."

App Tracking Transparancy is where users are asked if they want to allow an advertiser to track what they browse or read through an app. Developers can present a case to the user of why it's beneficial to do this, but it is the user's choice what they decide.

Apple's move is estimated to have cost social media companies to lose $10 billion in the second half of 2021 so far. Although, separately, Facebook, Twitter, and Google have all reported that the impact of App Tracking Transparency has been modest.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Wasn't it a commercial land grab that Facebook et al did in the first place? They pushed adverts onto my screen, whether I wanted them or not, and then they tied them to my browsing habits. Apple's ATT gives ME the ability to tell Facebook to sod off, and I have done so.
    sconosciutolkruppchiaplastico23Solomon_Grundyelijahgdarbus69magman1979command_fStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Nick Clegg was the Deputy Prime Minister of the UK, elected on the back of him promising not to increase tuition fees for university students, and then voting FOR an increase once elected. He knows what double standards are as he’s an expert in them. Well placed working for Facebook or whatever they’re called these days. 
    uraharasconosciutoioniclefotoformatchiaSolomon_Grundyelijahgdarbus69magman1979williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 30
    "Ex-UK politician Sir Nick Clegg, head of global affairs at Facebook parent company Meta,"

Is any more 
    explanation necessary to establish the complete lack of credibility of the individual uttering his BS?
    TechnoTacnosconosciutofotoformatchiaplastico23Solomon_Grundygodofbiscuitselijahgmagman1979baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Seems Clegg is well suited to the company he now works for. Tell any old lie to cover up what his employers are really up to.
    sconosciutofotoformatTechnoTacnochiaSolomon_Grundymagman1979williamlondonbaconstangMacProDogperson
  • Reply 5 of 30
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    What a grimy little pimp. 
    TechnoTacnoSolomon_Grundymagman1979mainyehcwilliamlondonStrangeDaysbaconstangMacProDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Apple should have gotten on stage and asked for a show of hands of who liked ATT. 
    MisterKitmagman1979olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So for all the claims from Facebook’ Zuckerberg that Apple’s privacy initiatives would not seriously affect revenue, he lied again. Apple has really gotten under the skins of Facebook, et al, by hitting them in the pocketbook. Who knew little old, mobile minority marketshare Apple could do that.
    TechnoTacnoEsquireCatsSolomon_Grundyelijahgmagman1979command_fbaconstangolsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    The thing I hate about Facebook is that they have no shame or sense of how much damage they do.
    TechnoTacnoplastico23Solomon_Grundyelijahgmagman1979command_fwilliamlondontokyojimurarildJWSC
  • Reply 9 of 30
    FB ads got me scammed….and they know it. Im sure they make money on that too together with paypal.
    Solomon_Grundywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 30
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Interesting strategy on F*c*book's part - hiring an internationally known disgraced liar former politician as a spokesperson.

It seems counterproductive, but whatever.

Solomon_Grundyelijahgfotoformatmagman1979baconstangols
  • Reply 11 of 30
    A conservative politician who cares more about corporate profit than actual people.  Shocker.
    baconstangDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    A conservative politician who cares more about corporate profit than actual people.  Shocker.
    He's actually a Liberal Democrat. Or was. David Cameron's whipping boy.
    command_fmainyehcentropys
  • Reply 13 of 30
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    "abusing the power of iOS and its dominant position in the market." Are iPhones dominating the cellular market? No
    Are iPads dominating the tablet market? They're currently at 30% (Q2 2021). Call that really nice but dominating. 

Of course, Apple iOS devices dominate the high end marketplace because they only provide quality items, they don't compete in the throwaway market.

For him to compare privacy with sales of equipment is meaningless. Two totally different things. Typical politician.

fotoformatmagman1979JaiOh81Wgkruegercommand_fbaconstangDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Well, Brits do know a thing or two about land grabs.
    paxmanmagman1979JaiOh81mainyehcgenovelletokyojimubaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Nothing more cringeworthy than a business leader / politician whining about the unethicalness of the competiton doing the ethical thing.
    fotoformatmagman1979mainyehcelijahgbaconstangDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    The moment I saw the words "Ex-UK politician" and "Facebook" together, I knew instantly, lying vile scumbag...
    mainyehcelijahgbaconstangolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    payeco said:
    What a grimy little pimp. 
    And to think this idiot is in Lisbon right now…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    So Clegg is opposed to Apple offering its customers privacy, actually a privacy choice (there is a switch but I guess that doesn't fit into FB's argument). I hope for his sake that they're paying him a lot of money because his credibility is gone.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    elijahg said:
    Potayto, potahto. Kind of like trying to distinguish our local (and now collapsing) CDS (Christian Democrats) from PSD (Social-Democrats). It’s all “Tory-like” toffs, the entire lot.

For context, those are Portuguese parties, and it’s kind of appropriate, seeing how our new mayor is a class-A hypocrite, who paraded himself on a bike while being a EU commissioner in Brussels, and hinged his entire campaign on suppressing a controversial (but popular) central bike lane. Either he goes forth with his plan, which will make him objectively a terrible politician as he’ll eventually end up with literal blood on his hands, or quietly shelves it, which all but confirms how much of a liar he is.

And now it feels very fitting that he should host an also controversial event (that Paddy bloke has acted towards us, the actual citizens, as a weapons-grade insensitive idiot, by having the gall of even entertaining the thought of inviting Marine Le Pen to WebSummit a few years ago), and that we should be graced with the presence of such a fine LibDem specimen because of it. 🙄
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    elijahg said:

Potayto, potahto. Kind of like trying to distinguish our local (and now collapsing) CDS (Christian Democrats) from PSD (Social-Democrats). It’s all “Tory-like” toffs, the entire lot.

For context, those are Portuguese parties, and it’s kind of appropriate, seeing how our new mayor (a PSD leader-in-the-making, supported by a coalition including – you guessed it – CDS and other gems such as PPM, a monarchist party in a country that’s been a republic for 111 years now) is a class-A hypocrite, who used to parade himself on a bike while being a EU commissioner in Brussels, and hinged his entire mayoral campaign on suppressing a controversial (but increasingly popular) central bike lane. Either he goes forth with his plan, which will make him objectively a terrible politician as he’ll eventually end up with literal blood on his hands, or quietly shelves it, which all but confirms how much of a hypocrite and a liar he is.

And now it feels very fitting that he should host an also controversial event (for added context, that Paddy Cosgrave bloke has acted towards us, the actual citizens of this city and this country, as a weapons-grade insensitive idiot, by having the gall of even entertaining the thought of inviting the neo-fascist Marine Le Pen to WebSummit a few years ago), and that we should be graced with the presence of such a fine LibDem specimen because of it.

By the way, I'm sorry for posting a duplicate comment, but the forum software would't let me commit to edits to my original one. I'm getting this at the end of the text input field instead of the regular “Cancel / Save Comment” buttons, maybe because I put an emoji at the end of it?

edited November 2021 williamlondonelijahgwatto_cobra