Meta to continue use of facial recognition technology

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Facebook this week announced that it will no longer deploy facial recognition technologies on its platform, but the social network's parent company, Meta, said that the commitment does not apply to its metaverse products

Meta

Much to the delight of privacy advocates and critics of facial recognition systems, Facebook on Monday said it will shut down its Face Recognition tool and delete the collected facial templates of more than a billion people. The technology, which includes the controversial DeepFace algorithm, was used to identify people in uploaded photos for tagging purposes.

While Facebook is no longer using facial recognition software, Meta on Wednesday clarified that the limitation does not extend to metaverse products, reports Recode.

"We believe this technology has the potential to enable positive use cases in the future that maintain privacy, control, and transparency, and it's an approach we'll continue to explore as we consider how our future computing platforms and devices can best serve people's needs," Jason Grosse, spokesperson for Meta, told the publication.

According to the report, Meta will continue to use a variety of biometric tools as it moves aggressively into the metaverse. That includes DeepFace, an artificial intelligence technology that matches facial templates generated by Facebook's facial recognition system with user photos.

Meta's metaverse is a multi-user VR space currently accessed through Portal hardware. With complex avatars and real-time facial tracking on the horizon, the platform opens the door to a new level of user data collection that goes far beyond the boundaries pushed by Facebook.

Meta has not revealed what, exactly, it plans to do with DeepFace, but the company promises to keep users informed of upcoming changes.

"For any potential future applications of technologies like this, we'll continue to be public about intended use, how people can have control over these systems and their personal data, and how we're living up to our responsible innovation framework," Grosse said.

That stands in contrast to Facebook's handling of Face Recognition, which became an opt-in feature in 2019, some nine years after it debuted.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Shocking! Mark lie to us?
    jahbladeFred257leavingthebiggwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    I see what you’re doing, Mark Zuckerberg. 
    Gabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I think one of the questions that needs to be answered is if Facebook intends to or already has copied over all of the data they already have on citizens related to facial recognition to this new “parent company” before it is “deleted”
    And isn’t it strange that they seem to have such differing views on its use being acceptable or not. This whole situation is a farce. They are veritable cockroaches, scum looking for novel ways to exploit the general public’s ignorance. But I see you Mark!
    edited November 2021 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Reply 3 of 15
    What they don't say:

Technically, Facebook will stop using them, but Meta will continue the effort.
    DING DING DING...We have a winner!!!!!
    Fred257dewmeOferleavingthebiggDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Nice bait and switch Marc Zuckerberg.
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    This is my shocked face: 🙄
    Ofer
  • Reply 7 of 15
    So the sociopath parent tried to make its sociopath child look better by making misleading press releases? They still match to the best of the same pathological drum

OferleavingthebiggDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I've not always been aligned with tech reporter Kara Swisher, but her Brief But Spectacular on PBS NewsHour is right on. Facebook (now Meta) needs to be shut down -- they can't be fixed. 

https://youtu.be/6t7bm1WZQ4A 
    edited November 2021 baconstangOferviclauyycDogpersonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    Who wants to see my surprise face?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The shell game begins. 
    williamlondonDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    It's not the technology itself that's the problem. It's how its used. Facial recognition so your Quest 3 can know who put on the headset is a good thing. Passing biometric information along to advertisers would be a very bad thing. Your iPhone also is still using facial recognition. Facebook on your iPhone is therefor still using facial recognition.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Don't be too surprised that when we delete our profiles from crapbook, that they aren't truly deleted. "Pertinent" info will be backed up on secret servers these doucebags have all over the planet.  Why the f*@k would they delete their source of money?

Anony99
    williamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ne1 said:
    I see what you’re doing, Mark Zuckerberg. 
    He sees what you're doing, too.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Given Facebook stole the Meta name and have not secured the rights to use it.  Shouldn't the Headline be Facebook lied and are still using facial recognition?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    🤮 is the best I can say about the world’s biggest lying scum company and it’s founder
    Kinda makes congress look decent.....
    baconstangwatto_cobra