AirPods 3 review: An excellent AirPods evolution, but fit can be problematic

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2021
AirPods as a whole have earned their status as the most popular true wireless earbuds, and the AirPods 3 brings more new features, but they fit in a strange spot in the Apple and Beats lineup.

The new third-generation AirPods
The new third-generation AirPods

New buds, same AirPods

Even though the new AirPods 3 have a new design wholly unique to them, they're still instantly recognizable as AirPods. They come in a white charging case -- yes, only white -- that can flip open to reveal the earbuds within. It still retains that fidget factor and satisfying click of previous models. It also seems to acquire light scratches just as quickly too.

The new case is as thin as the original but shorter and wider. This more squat size is right between the original AirPods and the AirPods Pro.

For the earbuds, they've once again crossed AirPods with AirPods Pro. They are much shorter and have replaced the tapping control gestures with force stems. After having the shorter stems for so long on the pro model, the longer stems on standard AirPods were looking a bit ridiculous, so we're glad to see them go in this revised version.

Skin detection sensor on the new AirPods
Skin detection sensor on the new AirPods

One new enhancement here that is unique to the AirPods 3 is the skin detection sensor. Apple always used an optical sensor to determine whether or not the earbuds were in your ears. As you'd remove your AirPods, your content would pause. As you placed them back in your ears, it would resume.

This worked well, but one issue that would arise is that your content would inadvertently resume if placed in your pocket without the case. To correct this, Apple designed a new skin detection sensor that won't falsely cause your content to start back up.

It works better for us, but there were still times when we'd be holding our earbuds, and the music would start.

The AirPods 3 earbuds
The new AirPods earbuds

Apple is made official the resistance rating on the new earbuds, going from unspecified to IPX4. This will allow the earbuds to withstand rain and sweat, but they will not survive submersion.

Fit: It's personal

Creating earbuds that universally fit is a struggle. Standard AirPods had plenty of detractors, and AirPods Pro solved this to a certain degree with the swappable silicone ear tips.

AirPods 2 (left) and AirPods 3 (right)
AirPods 2 (left) and AirPods 3 (right)

The new third-gen AirPods have an all-new shape that differs from the previous models. It's more bulbous, sits slightly further into your ear than AirPods, and lacks the silicone tips of AirPods Pro.

We've heard from many users who have said the AirPods 3 are exceptionally comfortable and sit well in their ears. For us, while we found them very comfy, they didn't stay put all that well.

They seemed too large for our ears and took only some light jostling for them to shift free. Apple's previous earbud designs fit better for us.

The fit seemed just slightly off
The fit seems just slightly off for us

Since these don't have silicone tips, the fit is closer to regular AirPods in that it doesn't block out much external noise. Depending on your use and preference, this is either a good thing or a bad thing. As a general rule, we prefer this looser fit -- it can be more comfortable for extended wear.

Despite the less-than-ideal fit for us, sitting at the desk all day, these put less stress on our ears. We can listen for hours in the morning, charge during lunch, and go for hours again in the afternoon without any aches or pain in our ears.

AirPods Pro, though comfortable, exert just a slight amount of pressure on our ear canals and can start to hurt after hours of extended use.

Of course, this varies from person to person. One AppleInsider staffer eschews earbuds entirely because of universal ear pain across any make and model.

Charging and battery

AirPods 2 with the wireless charging case could charge over Lightning as well as Qi. MagSafe, Apple's latest connectivity standard, was backward compatible with Qi. Therefore, AirPods 2 could wirelessly charge with a MagSafe charger.

What they lacked, though, was the magnets. If you had a flat MagSafe charger, this was a non-issue. But if you used any angled or vertical MagSafe charger, they'd slide right off.

AirPods support Lightning, Qi, and MagSafe
AirPods support Lightning, Qi, and MagSafe

Belkin's BoostCharge Pro, the Native Union Rise Dock, or Nomad's MagSafe Mount Stand are all popular solutions that have a non-flat MagSafe charger. That doesn't count the large array of MagSafe car chargers that are exclusively vertical.

The new AirPods solve this issue by including proper MagSafe support, including the magnet ring. Now AirPods 3 will properly align themselves on any MagSafe charger. This ensures the alignment is perfect for the fastest possible charge and allows them to support any vertical MagSafe charger.

AirPods on the Belkin BoostCharge
AirPods on the MagSafe Belkin BoostCharge

There isn't a substantial magnetic pull -- but it is enough for the case to stay on that charger regardless of orientation. After using the AirPods 3, this has been a surprise favorite feature. It makes it much easier to slap them down on any of the MagSafe chargers we have around without them sliding off or not charging at all because of misalignment.

Apple now includes a MagSafe-compatible case with the current-generation AirPods Pro as well.

Battery life on AirPods is the best Apple's had to date and arguably a big reason to upgrade. On a single charge, the earbuds will last up to six hours. AirPods second-generation only would last five hours while AirPods Pro could barely muster 4.5 hours.

It doesn't stop there. If you combine the hours in the earbuds and the remaining capacity in the charging case, AirPods third-gen can last up to 30 hours away from an outlet. The other two sets of AirPods maxed out at 24 hours.

AirPods have great battery life
AirPods have great battery life

Without starting and stopping a stopwatch each time we listened to the audio, we noticed a difference. With only a couple of breaks during the day, we were able to listen to AirPods throughout a typical eight-hour workday.

On our AirPods Pro, especially after more than two years of use, we are getting less than four hours on a charge. Using AirPods is like a night and day difference by comparison.

Spatial Audio

For the uninitiated, Spatial Audio with head tracking allows 3D sound to come from all around you, based on a fixed point.

The best example is while watching a movie while facing a screen. The dialogue will come from directly in front of you. Sound effects and other sounds may come from behind you, above you, as well as from your left and right. It's a much more immersive experience than standard stereo audio.

The head tracking comes into play because the audio seems to come from a singular point in the space around your head focused on the presentation screen. As you're watching that movie, if you turn your head to the left, the audio will shift around you, so now, when someone talks, it will sound like it is coming from your right side -- mimicking how sound is in the real world.

Spatial Audio and head tracking can be controlled from Control Center
Spatial Audio and head tracking can be controlled from Control Center

Similarly, if you move your phone, the audio will follow where the phone is. As if the audio is coming right from the character on screen. Apple pulls this off by using the gyroscopes in the earbuds and your phone to track both locations and adjust the audio accordingly.

You can use this feature on all your Apple devices. That includes iPhone, iPad, Mac, and even Apple TV. Apple TV may be perhaps the most impressive.

Your Apple TV is farther away, so it can't use Bluetooth or anything else to detect the direction of your TV from your head as it does with iPhone and iPad. So instead, it uses the gyroscopes to tell when you're walking around versus sitting.

Once it detects you're sitting and your head stays fixed in a specific direction, it will begin head tracking as it knows you're watching TV. As soon as you get up, head tracking is disabled. This is all even better as Apple TV now automatically has AirPods detection and will pop up in the corner of the screen if you open them nearby. A very seamless experience indeed.

Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos are supported in a wide variety of TV shows and movies available on your devices. There are still some apps that don't support it but more and more have added support since Apple originally introduced the feature.

Beyond videos, Apple has brought Spatial Audio to Apple Music. This is also a neat experience, but less so than video. Not compelling on its own, but a nice-to-have on top of video support.

Audio quality

Spatial Audio aside, Apple has improved the audio here a decent bit from the original AirPods but don't expect a drastic difference.

Sure enough, Apple touts an all-new audio system and new custom drivers. But just because they're new doesn't mean they are magically going to outpace the higher-end AirPods Pro. Apple seemed to ensure that AirPods third-gen would sound better, but too much better. We'd still say other comparable earbuds sound better.

Precisely what has improved here is an increase in the bass -- possibly because of the large earbuds themselves -- and less distortion in the highs at high volumes. AirPods Pro has more clarity, and the new Beats Fit Pro is more bass-heavy.

To be clear, these sound far better than cheap earbuds that flood the market. But, there are wireless earbuds that perform better in the same price range.

Still the AirPods magic

With AirPods, and we're talking the whole lineup here, this ineffable magic makes them so compelling to users. It is an experience that is difficult to put into words and hard to comprehend for those who haven't used them.

Effortless pairing
Effortless pairing for AirPods thanks to the H1 chip

Apple has been perfecting this expense over the years, and all of Apple's earbuds have gained new features with each iterative iOS update.

This year, Apple added several new features to various sets in the lineup such as improved Find My support, background audio, ambient noise reduction, Conversation Boost, auto-switch with Apple TV, and more.

We expect Apple to act similarly with the new AirPods and update them over time with new enhancements. Only Apple knows what the future plan is, though.

Not all of those new features arrived for AirPods. Many were exclusive to AirPods Pro, such as the improved Find My support and Conversation Boost. Conversation Boost stays with AirPods Pro, but the more impressive Find My experience did make it to the new AirPods.

With Find My, AirPods are tied to your Apple ID. You can enable left-behind alerts that alert you should you leave a location without your earbuds. You can define areas, so you don't get an alert every time you leave your house or leave them in a different room.

Find My support comes to AirPods
Full Find My support comes to AirPods

AirPods can be put into lost mode, and leverage the larger Find My Network of Apple users to help you find where your earbuds were left. When marked as lost, you'll get a notification if they are found, they will be locked so no one else can pair them with their device, and you can leave a message on them with your phone number or email for a good samaritan to use to reach out.

And sure, if they are nearby, you can use the Find My app to help get close to them or play a rather-quiet tone and locate them.

Everything else about Apple's magical experience is here too. Automatically switch between devices as you use them. Hands-free "hey Siri" support. Effortless pairing and integration into Control Center.

Should you buy the new AirPods?

If we were talking about Apple's AirPods here, then yes. You should pick them up. Assuming they fit your ears, these are an easy buy. Unfortunately, the question isn't as easy these days.

Even since Apple released the new AirPods, they've released a new set of Beats, the Beats Fit Pro. This joins the AirPods second generation, AirPods Pro, PowerBeats Pro, and Beats Studio Buds. All of these include the Apple experience and varying degrees of support for Apple's features.

The new AirPods
The new AirPods

Beats Fit Pro costs only $20 more, includes active noise cancellation, transparency mode, and fit wings for a secure hold. That said, they don't have the same social clout as AirPods, don't fully support Find My, and don't support MagSafe -- or wireless charging at all for that matter. Their total battery, including the charging case, is only 24 hours, below AirPods 30 hours.

Some people also prefer the fit of AirPods. They don't want the tight seal. The same goes when compared to AirPods Pro. AirPods Pro, being over two years old, frequently goes on sale. We've seen them as low as $189, making them quite comparable but with more features. As the third-gen AirPods are brand new, we haven't seen too many sales for them.

Regardless, AirPods hold their own. Like in every crowded market, you, the user, need to decide which feature set and integrations are the best for your particular needs.

Pros
  • Improved audio quality

• Smaller stem

• Force stems replace the fickle tapping controls

• MagSafe charging is wonderful

• Smaller stems look better while wearing

• Very comfortable

• Adaptive EQ tunes audio automatically

• Spatial Audio with head tracking is great for movies, sometimes audio

• IPX4 resistance helps for workouts or weather

• Skin detection sensor helps prevent audio starting inadvertently

• Battery life is fantastic
Cons
  • No tight seal in your ears

• Case still scratches easily

• Hard market position between second generation AirPods, AirPods Pro, and new Beats

• No color options

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

AirPods 3 are already discounted at popular Apple resellers, with the best AirPods deals at your fingertips in our AirPods Price Guide.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Fit is different for everyone. For me these for the best, AirPod pros slip off my ear all the time. Airpod Pros sound great and the noise cancellation is great but I can’t wear them too long as they fall out. Also, I’m not sure how the case getting scratched is a con, like they had to find something. Everything can get scratched. 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    For me, the fit is excellent. They make a great seal in my ear (due to the new shape) and sound awesome.

However, I can totally see where these might not fit some people as well as the previous Gen. There is a difference for sure. 
    edited November 2021 twokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The AirPods never fit my ears!  Always fall off when I move like walking. It would stay for about 1/3 of a block and one them usually the right one would drop to he ground.  The Pro was a little better but not much.  I ordered the Beats Fit Pro to see if they workout since they have the wings to secure it in place which I like.
    edited November 2021 Dogpersondavgreg
  • Reply 4 of 13
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    I used to wear silicon sleeves on my AP v2 that had a little inner earlobe hook for when I would go running.  Does anyone make something similar for the new AP?  
  • Reply 5 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Not sure why a white plastic earbud should have “social clout”.

The AirPods in any version never have appealed to me. The Beats Pro wireless are my daily driver and the new Fit Pro just arrived over the weekend. I was over shiny white polycarbonate a long time ago and cannot fathom why anyone thinks that is appealing. AirPods are the dorkiest looking thing this side of Brutus the Buckeye.
    gatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    One size (and shape) fits all. Make sure you adapted your ear to device according to Apple and army of fans. On that note, when Apple is going to finally change direction and make either flexible earbuds or provide flexible skin to adapt different ears? You know follow earplug companies that have far more expertise than Apple since they were designing and producing them for at least 10-15 years now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The AirPods never fit my ears!  Always fall off when I move like walking. It would stay for about 1/3 of a block and one them usually the right one would drop to he ground.  The Pro was a little better but not much.  I ordered the Beats Fit Pro to see if they workout since they have the wings to secure it in place which I like.
    I never shove anything in my ears. First it hurts and is far from natural (mother nature designed us to use earlobes properly as "special device" and not to shove something fashionable into them). Second all those earbuds leak sound like crazy and do not give any quality comparing bulky over ear quality headphones from Sennheiser and others. Sorry to run at you, but in a store when I wanted to try Beats and showed what I use, sales person told me not even try. Beats are not even near Sennheissers, but there are even better once on the market that may cost few times iPhone. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I agree on fit, for me it’s a bit off. If I smile with them in the feel like they’re going to fall out. They don’t but they don’t feel secure like the old AirPods. I also sort of prefer the longer stem. The shorter one is taking me a while to get used to I always drop them taking them out. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    "Apple is made official the resistance rating on the new earbuds, going from unspecified to IPX4. This will allow the earbuds to withstand rain and sweat, but they will not survive submersion."
    This is good news. Since one of the primary uses of AirPods is for people working out, sweat resistance should have been a feature of the originals, too. That said, I use my AirPods for working out on a regular basis and have never had an issue, so they appear to be sweat-resistant enough, even if they're not officially IPX4.

Creating earbuds that universally fit is a struggle
    Every commenter above should read this. human anatomy is hugely variable. No one can design an earbud that will fit everyone. From experience and reports, Apple has done a very good job of fitting most people with AirPods, especially given the lack of a flexible silicone tip/sleeve, but you can't change your ears. If they don't fit, move on to another style or brand.

My big question is value when compared to Beats. For $20 more you get active noise canceling in the Beats Fit Pro making it harder to justify the cost of the AirPods. Yes, the AirPods have a longer battery life, but 24 vs 30 hours is not something people will notice or be inconvenienced by, and the lack of wireless charging isn't a big deal either. My AirPods charge so quickly with a lightning cable that I find charging to be a non-issue.

williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I want to try the AirPods 3 but I just bought some v2s a couple of months ago. I couldn't get the APP to fit my ears and they hurt after a couple hours so they had to go back. The Powerbeats 3 fit a little better but still hurt my ears.

The Beats Flex work well but they have that connecting cable from one side to the other. EarPods and AirPods 2 fit me well so I'm curious as to the design change of the 3.

I'm always leery of 'improved bass' in basic headphones or 'buds as this usually means muddy upper bass and mids along with lackluster highs. I'll have to try them out at some point.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsP said:
    Creating earbuds that universally fit is a struggle
    Every commenter above should read this. human anatomy is hugely variable. No one can design an earbud that will fit everyone. From experience and reports, Apple has done a very good job of fitting most people with AirPods, especially given the lack of a flexible silicone tip/sleeve, but you can't change your ears. If they don't fit, move on to another style or brand.

What you say is absolutely true, but Apple could come a fair bit closer if they weren't so dead set on form over function.  Even there own Beats brand fits better.  Of course, they're not as good in other respects, like sound quality, but hey, you can't have everything, can you.

Except Apple could provide the better sound quality and noise cancellation with the improved fit of the Beats.  They just don't want to. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I recently picked up AirPods 3 as an upgrade from the old AirPods 2. I tried AirPods Pro, but I find in-canal headphones to be uncomfortable and so stuck with AirPods 2 for mobile use. They are mediocre for music but terrific for podcasts and calls and I love that they are always in my pocket.

AirPods 3 is a big step up overall from the 2. They don't seal tight or include ANC, which is a plus for earbuds I wear outdoors much of the time. The big audio change is really the adaptive EQ - while the AirPods 3 might sometimes feel loose, the bass response is remarkably unaffected, unlike AirPods 2. I use them for music, podcasts and calls, and they acquit themselves very well. They are Apple-easy and always in my pocket.

AirPods 3 are NOT serious music headphones, nor are they meant to be. They are merely "good" in that respect, which is fine for what I ask them to do, and they are a substantial improvement over the AirPods 2. I have very nice ANC headphones (AirPods Max and Bose) but I'm not wearing those while walking the dog.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    km87km87 Posts: 1member
    llama said:
    I used to wear silicon sleeves on my AP v2 that had a little inner earlobe hook for when I would go running.  Does anyone make something similar for the new AP?  
    I wear these when I go running.. Bit of a hassle putting them on and off but worth not having to stop mid-run to adjust my AP v3

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LHMNZDR