Jony Ive confirms LoveFrom works for Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Jony Ive is continuing his long-term collaboration with Apple via his design agency LoveFrom, the former Chief Design Officer has revealed, confirming his departure hasn't completely ended the relationship between the designer and the iPhone maker.

Ive left Apple in 2019 to create his own independent design consultancy, LoveFrom, following nearly three decades at the company. While going independent has given Ive the chance to work with other companies, the firm he founded is still connected to Apple.

Speaking to Vogue editor-in-chief and Conde Nast COO Anna Wintour at the RE:Wired event on Monday, Ive advised his LoveFrom team is still working with Apple. Ive declined to provide details about what exactly that entailed.

In May, it was reported that Ive had worked on the 24-inch iMac, a major redesign of the desktop Mac. However, due to the typically long development process for hardware designs, it's plausible that Ive was still employed at Apple at the time of his involvement, rather than it being work carried out as part of LoveFrom.

The wide-ranging interview, titled "Designing for the Future We Want to Inhabit," had Ive discussing his history with Apple, including its development of wearable devices like AirPods and the Apple Watch, the potential future of wearable technology with under-skin devices, and other futuristic areas.

Ive also disclosed where the LoveFrom name stems from, with inspiration apparently coming from Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I wonder if future products will have "Designed by Apple and LoveForm" on the box.
    dk49williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I wonder if future products will have "Designed by Apple and LoveForm" on the box.
    Probably not... but possibly it might say, "Designed by Apple and LoveFrom" on the box.
    MacsWithPenguinsIreneWbyronl
  • Reply 3 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder if LoveFrom had a hand in the clusterfuck that was is the AirPods Max case……
    viclauyycbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I didn't realize Jony was in prison.
    elijahgargonautmattinozBeatsbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And the Ive here haters thought they were rid of Jony. 
    macplusplusAlex_Vwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 13

I sincerely doubt it. When you pay someone for a service, you're not obligated to advertise for them.
    muthuk_vanalingamBeatswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 13
    saarek said:
    I wonder if LoveFrom had a hand in the clusterfuck that was is the AirPods Max case……
    grow up. 
    rotateleftbyteAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    This does mean that now someone at Apple could actually say no to him.
    Or even, "I don't like this, start over."
    That is a big change from recent times.
    Beatsbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    saarek said:
    grow up. 
    You’d describe it in a nicer light then? I’m sure someone out there, apart from the designers, must like it and feel it has value.

I’ve not found anyone yet, but perhaps you’ll be the first?

Oh, and just to be clear I actually own the AirPods Max.
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Without Steve Jobs, Jonny Ives just a design products disaster.  He did his best work on the Mac Pro trash can and the previous MacBook Pro with the touch bar and removal of inputs to bare minimum!  
    byronl
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cpenzone said:
    I didn't realize Jony was in prison.
    It's not... it's "unapologetically" correctional facility chic. 

lkrupp said:
    And the Ive here haters thought they were rid of Jony. 
    Yeah, well that explains the lousy port selection on the iMacs.  But hey, they all look nice and uniform!

Without Steve Jobs, Jonny Ives just a design products disaster.  He did his best work on the Mac Pro trash can and the previous MacBook Pro with the touch bar and removal of inputs to bare minimum!  
    Yeah, Jony is a talented designed, but he had too much power and needed to be kept in check by someone with common sense that understands people need to use the products and not just look at them. 
    byronlzoetmb
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    techconc said:   X
    Yeah, Jony is a talented designed, but he had too much power and needed to be kept in check by someone with common sense that understands people need to use the products and not just look at them. 
    This is perfect - we can still blame Jonny for any boneheaded design decisions!

Seriously, I think @techconc is right. No one knows for sure exactly what Jonny Ive was responsible for, but there were quite a few glaring examples of function following form in the last several years. The ASi MacBook Pros are a welcome return to putting function first. (They also show you don’t have to compromise form, either!)
    muthuk_vanalingambyronl
  • Reply 13 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Not sure why people thought he would suddenly be designing for Samsung or another iKnockoff company when all they do is copy Apple designs anyway, how hiring needed.

saarek said:

What I don’t like is that AirPods are moving away from the original iconic design to the Pro design which I don’t like as much.
    watto_cobra