Apple shares 'Foundation' recap ahead of season finale

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2021
The first season of Apple TV+ epic "Foundation" will come to a close on Friday, November 19. Ahead of the finale, Apple on Thursday released a short video recapping the show's major events so far.

Foundation

Posted to YouTube, the 90-second video is more recap than trailer and catches viewers up on the events of first eight episodes before November 12 sees the ninth and penultimate edition of the season. Unsurprisingly, the "Finale Trailer" contains some spoilers for the series up to the tenth episode, so viewers are advised to watch at their own discretion.

Based on what is considered to be one of the greatest science fiction series ever written, "Foundation" tells the story of the eponymous institute created by "psychohistorian" Hari Seldon (Jarred Harris) during the decline of the 12,000-year-old Galactic Empire. After predicting the fall of civilization, Seldon hopes to stave off a pending dark age by collecting and preserving human knowledge at the Foundation.

Not a strict adaptation of Isaac Asimov's classic, the series takes cues from the literary work but places special focus on characters, places and time. That is still a monumental task considering the multitude of faces who appear throughout the winding tale which takes place over centuries.

"Foundation" debuted in September to mixed reviews. To go along with the premiere, Apple spun off an official podcast hosted by Jason Concepcion and showrunner David S. Goyer. The weekly show features deep dives on new episodes, with Goyer offering background on his interpretation of Asimov's text.

The final episode of season one is titled "The First Crisis."

"On Terminus, Salvor witnesses how powerful the null field has become. Brother Dawn makes a daring choice," Apple's description reads.

Apple renewed the series in October, though it is not yet known when the sophomore season will debut.

"[W]ith season two, our audience will get to visit more of Asimov's indelible characters and worlds, including Hober Mallow, General Bel Riose, and all the Outer Suns," Goyer said in a press release at the time. "I'm thrilled that a whole new generation of fans are reading Asimov's brilliant masterwork. We're playing the long game with Foundation' and I'm grateful to my partners at Apple and Skydance for entrusting me with this epic. Buckle up. We're about to fold some serious space."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I’m enjoying the show so far. 
    welshdogmichael potterericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysbageljoeywatto_cobrapatchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 2 of 30
    It’s coming to an end on Friday? Huh?

I thought this was a 10-episode season. And IMDB agrees with me. Did you mean “a week from Friday”? 
    michael potterwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 30
    The final episode is next week titled ‘The Leap’. Source : https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/2147515/foundation-1x10-the-leap
    michael potterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    How’s this doing viewership-wise? I recall the reviews as being so-so…
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Found it pretty boring, Dune is so much better. 
    lkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Is it heresy to confess I think what Goyer has done to the story has improved it?
    nadrielronnbageljoeypatchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 30
    entropys said:
    Is it heresy to confess I think what Goyer has done to the story has improved it?
    To a series format this is less linear and engaging than strictly following the books would’ve been, I think. The galaxy is made smaller and the fall of empire is portrayed more rather than forgotten like in the books (if I recall correctly).

After the first few episodes I decided to take this as something inspired by the books and enjoy them as is. So far it seems like a space opera rather than a superior intelligence measuring competition between the characters like the books really are. Oh and I like how this feels like a totally different storyline.

Perfect? No, I still have my complaints. Enjoyable? Sure, but not for fundamentalists who feel offended about changes. 
    bloggerblogPShimiStrangeDayswatto_cobrapatchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Dune is over, and I have a sicker Dune fan than me, and I told him I loved Dune, he pointed out flaws which I couldn't believe.

But I watched 4-5 episodes of Foundation, and when Dune was over after watching TWICE cause I wanted more, I couldn't wait for more Foundation episodes.

They are completely different (movie vs series), but they compliment each other.

Now if Dune would have been released like Foundation, hands down Dune would be better.

But just wasn't.  And Foundation's problem IMHO is they should have released ALL 10 at once.  I would have finished in 3 days NO Problem.

StrangeDayswilliamlondonentropyswatto_cobrapatchythepiratelolliverqwerty52
  • Reply 9 of 30
    rezwits said:
    Dune is over, and I have a sicker Dune fan than me, and I told him I loved Dune, he pointed out flaws which I couldn't believe.

But I watched 4-5 episodes of Foundation, and when Dune was over after watching TWICE cause I wanted more, I couldn't wait for more Foundation episodes.

They are completely different (movie vs series), but they compliment each other.

Now if Dune would have been released like Foundation, hands down Dune would be better.

But just wasn't.  And Foundation's problem IMHO is they should have released ALL 10 at once.  I would have finished in 3 days NO Problem.

There are more Dune episodes coming. Foundation is just a drama that rambles on forever. It might be that I have a short attention span but Dune checks a lot of boxes for me. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Science fiction movies have evolved from the original story line that focused on plot and characters -- and the minor details that pushed them in one direction or another -- into high speed action flicks.

I think Apple's Foundation is a nice blend of both.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirateRudeBoyRudy
  • Reply 11 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Agreed, Foundation moves glacially slow and I lost interest. Maybe next season redeems it. Dune on the other hand was very well done IMO. I'm really looking forward to part 2. 
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 12 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    How’s this doing viewership-wise? I recall the reviews as being so-so…
    Why do you care? Will viewership numbers make a difference in your opinion of the show? But we’re talking about personal opinions here. The Rotten Tomatoes website is a perfect example where opinions are all over the place. Many times movies that have disappointing box office are proclaimed a success by viewers and critics.
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    Asimov was well known for his lack of descriptions of human emotions and interactions (sex) in his novels. It was all logic and "just the facts, ma'am.” So yes, I agree with your assessment. And no, it’s not heresy in my opinion.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I like Foundation. I don’t care if it’s not 100% accurate to the books. It’s entertaining on its own, and I’m glad it’s not a bunch of special effects and action. 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobralolliverqwerty52
  • Reply 15 of 30
    How short are people's memories that they have to have a "recap" push? I feel like it just came out.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I liked Foundation very much. Just a minor criticism : the colorimetry is dull, the colors are rare
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    rezwits said:

There are more Dune episodes coming. Foundation is just a drama that rambles on forever. It might be that I have a short attention span but Dune checks a lot of boxes for me. 
    It doesn’t have more episodes coming, it has another film coming, which they weren’t even sure of until seeing the audience reception. If that does well he may adopt the second book of the saga. 

Thankfully we don’t have to pick one or the other franchise, and I like them both. The Dune novel itself and sequels were influenced by Foundation, but each do different things.
    williamlondonronnpairof9watto_cobrapatchythepiratelolliver
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Also the visuals and fx in Dune were top notch, Foundation’s were meh
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Nonsense.
    Dune was very, very boring.  
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Also the visuals and fx in Dune were top notch, Foundation’s were meh
    I thought the worms were a disappointment.
    ronnlkruppwatto_cobra