• Reply 41 of 59
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    I won't be rushing.  No features of any interest; I tried Focus mode and Tab Groups already and both were a waste of time.
    Perhaps you should move to Windows 11. I hear it’s amazing and has many features of interest to you.
    What's the point of saying that?  I don't want to use Windows, I want to use macOS.  Not rushing to upgrade to the latest version doesn't make me your enemy.  There's no need to be so sour and unpleasant every waking moment.
    And there's no need for you to be perpetually negative. All you ever do is throw shade at Apple. Bah, humbug, I don’t need or want it is your constant mantra. 90% of all comments on this blog are negative, period. Anyone who shows enthusiasm for an Apple product is labeled a fanboy. Gotta maintain that negativity at all costs. It’s the “Apple can do no wrong” mirror image. Stay negative.

C|net finally saw the light and turned off their comment function. No more constant belittling of users of other platforms, especially Apple and its users. Many news sites have also shut off the comment section. AppleInsider should consider doing the same. The arguments, opinions, expert-wannabes pontificating drive away readers. Readership would likely increase if comments were turned off. They serve no function.
    Then why are you even here?  Save your blood pressure and don't go on negative forums if they bother you so much.  You don't exactly brighten the place up with the incessant sniping.

And I'm not nearly as negative as you say.  I've been very positive about the new MacBook Pros, am excited for the arrival of my M1 Max 14" in November, and have said so.  And I think I may well buy an iPhone 12 mini and/or an iPad mini soon too, though am hesitating over whether I have the use for it to match the desire.  My general position is Apple hardware good, Apple software good-ish, but on a worryingly wobbly trend.
    That's what I don't understand about people like Ikrupp, StrangeDays, Williamlondon and a few others: we're not "attacking" Apple because we're trying to bring it down. We're discussing issues and problems in the hope Apple will pay some attention and fix the problems we experience. We want them fixed to make a better product, and a better Apple. We wanted a Macbook with HDMI, Magsafe and SD, and many of us are saying how great it is and defending Apple against the few who moan that they've got extra ports they're not going to use (oh no!). But post reservations about one issue such as the notch for example, and you're a "hater" and should just "get a pc" according to these fanatics. They can't see how absurd they are being, and because of that no one takes them at all seriously. I don't think Strangedays has once ever encountered a bug! The obsessiveness is quite sad really.

Whining and complaining is not "discussing issues and problems" (and deficiencies).

"I don't think this release is worth installing" (to paraphrase) is whiny complaining that serves no purpose except to spread negativity.

On the other hand, YES!   This forum has many knowledgeable and dedicated fans who have brought up many legitimate points -- and thankfully Apple listened and made adjustments.   That's the sign of a great forum and a great company.   It's how things advance -- especially in mature and maturing markets.

• Reply 42 of 59
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    I won't be rushing.  No features of any interest; I tried Focus mode and Tab Groups already and both were a waste of time.
    Perhaps you should move to Windows 11. I hear it’s amazing and has many features of interest to you.
    What's the point of saying that?  I don't want to use Windows, I want to use macOS.  Not rushing to upgrade to the latest version doesn't make me your enemy.  There's no need to be so sour and unpleasant every waking moment.
    And there's no need for you to be perpetually negative. All you ever do is throw shade at Apple. Bah, humbug, I don’t need or want it is your constant mantra. 90% of all comments on this blog are negative, period. Anyone who shows enthusiasm for an Apple product is labeled a fanboy. Gotta maintain that negativity at all costs. It’s the “Apple can do no wrong” mirror image. Stay negative.

C|net finally saw the light and turned off their comment function. No more constant belittling of users of other platforms, especially Apple and its users. Many news sites have also shut off the comment section. AppleInsider should consider doing the same. The arguments, opinions, expert-wannabes pontificating drive away readers. Readership would likely increase if comments were turned off. They serve no function.
    How about the function to feel connection and significance at some cases?
  • Reply 43 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Windows 11 is pretty darn good actually.
    Dunno I’ve been hearing that about every latest version of Windows for years, but my job has on Windows 10 and it still sucks.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Did Apple include any new dynamic photo wallpapers with Monterey? It looks like it's just cartoon wallpapers, static and dynamic.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Very solid for an initial (OK, it landed at 12.0.1) release.  
    Focus is worth it, glad they made the Safari tab changes optional.  
    AirPlay to Mac - finally!
    Shortcuts has potential to bring the legacies of MacroMaker and Automator into the mainstream.  
    Not sure I see too much more "compelling", but I have not yet dug into using other apps under this release.  
    Kinda wish the installer could install the Apple Silicon version and "trim the fat" without having to use lipo.  
    The core of the changes seem to center around giving FaceTime a feature set that can give Zoom a run for its money.
    The main advantages of which would be that FT can handoff between devices and there's no 40 min limit on free calls.  
    The Apple WFH video is a good example of what it looks like when tools are in the same ecosystem (they do give a nod to InDesign).
    So to recap, I will not be switching to Windows 11.  
  • Reply 46 of 59
    How do I get it to install? It fails on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro.  This is what I get after rebooting.
    Launch "Disk Utility" and look at what your disk's file format "type" is. I'm just saying that because that's what the error message seems to be saying. Or maybe that's the error you get when you don't have enough free space on the disk.

Your windows look similar to mine. Maybe we are neighbours. Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me. Twice on the pipes if the answer is no.
    APFS on an NvME SSD...  Over 100 GB free.

I noticed this odd message early in the installer log:
    server osinstallersetupd[1243]: Forcing MSU springboard for target: disk1s1 (has EFI without NVMe update support)

Also, errors at the end:

Oct 25 15:22:36 server osishelperd[1263]: Bless failed with error num: 3
    Oct 25 15:22:36 server osinstallersetupd[1243]: -[OSISHelperProxy blessUpdateBundleAtPath:mutableProductPath:enclosingMountPoint:]_block_invoke_2: Error Domain=com.apple.bless Code=3 "(null)"
    Oct 25 15:22:36 server osinstallersetupd[1243]: Unable to setup bless on disk.

edited October 2021
  • Reply 47 of 59
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    darkvader said:
    1.  It's still ugly.  Mac OS 11 was awful, this doesn't even begin to fix the worst of that.  No surprise, Apple's been going steadily downhill since 10.6.

2.  I've been running it on test machines for months.  It seemed stable-ish, though of course Apple still can't figure out how to write a working email client - not that Apple is unique in that, nobody has been able to write a good one since Eudora, and even that got bad in its last few releases.

3.  The new 'features' are all a big yawn for me - or at least they are now, once I got that infuriating 'new note' hot corner insanity turned off.

4.  We still don't have any definitive word that the spyware Apple built in is turned off permanently.
    *yawn*
  • Reply 48 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    This was definitely the smoothest macOS upgrade I've experienced in a very long time. The download was massive but there were no hiccups on the two machines I was able to install it on. I can't really see any standout or novel new features that will change my everyday workflow, at least not yet. It seems a bit strange that Monterey is actually supported on my 2014 Mac Mini with a big self-created Fusion drive - and it runs better than any macOS has ever run on this machine. Of course it really shines on my M1 iMac, but seeing the ancient Mini running so well impresses the heck out of me.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

Then why are you even here?  Save your blood pressure and don't go on negative forums if they bother you so much.  You don't exactly brighten the place up with the incessant sniping.

And I'm not nearly as negative as you say.  I've been very positive about the new MacBook Pros, am excited for the arrival of my M1 Max 14" in November, and have said so.  And I think I may well buy an iPhone 12 mini and/or an iPad mini soon too, though am hesitating over whether I have the use for it to match the desire.  My general position is Apple hardware good, Apple software good-ish, but on a worryingly wobbly trend.
    That's what I don't understand about people like Ikrupp, StrangeDays, Williamlondon and a few others: we're not "attacking" Apple because we're trying to bring it down. We're discussing issues and problems in the hope Apple will pay some attention and fix the problems we experience. We want them fixed to make a better product, and a better Apple. We wanted a Macbook with HDMI, Magsafe and SD, and many of us are saying how great it is and defending Apple against the few who moan that they've got extra ports they're not going to use (oh no!). But post reservations about one issue such as the notch for example, and you're a "hater" and should just "get a pc" according to these fanatics. They can't see how absurd they are being, and because of that no one takes them at all seriously. I don't think Strangedays has once ever encountered a bug! The obsessiveness is quite sad really.

Whining and complaining is not "discussing issues and problems" (and deficiencies).

"I don't think this release is worth installing" (to paraphrase) is whiny complaining that serves no purpose except to spread negativity.
    Pretty shabby paraphrasing, I said I won't rush and that there aren't any particular features I want, not that I don't think i's worth installing at all.  I always aim to be pretty close to up to date, but a new x.0 of macOS is worth holding back and waiting for bug reports even when it does have compelling features that you want.  So I won't rush.  That's all.

I'll be on Monterey when my new MacBook Pro arrives anyway.  
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 50 of 59
    What I find missing is the ability to filter Notes by “not in folder” and “no tags”.

I want to clean house by retroactively filtering “orphaned notes” and manually assign them to a folder or provide tags, but there’s no way to tell where they are, and moving forward new Notes might get buried in a huge list never to be found again.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Monterey is awesome. Fast with many new useful features.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

You are often exaggerating negatively, also you are totally imposing your views like "Focus mode is totally useless, no other features makes sense..." and go on. Most features are life saver for most users, try to imagine other workflow of uses. He is right, so it apply to you too: If you are so frustrate just change computer/hobby/attitude. Save your blood pressure and try a new hobby.
    edited October 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 59
    How do I get it to install? It fails on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro.  This is what I get after rebooting.
    Launch "Disk Utility" and look at what your disk's file format "type" is. I'm just saying that because that's what the error message seems to be saying. Or maybe that's the error you get when you don't have enough free space on the disk.

Your windows look similar to mine. Maybe we are neighbours. Knock three times on the ceiling if you want me. Twice on the pipes if the answer is no.
    APFS on an NvME SSD...  Over 100 GB free.

I noticed this odd message early in the installer log:
    server osinstallersetupd[1243]: Forcing MSU springboard for target: disk1s1 (has EFI without NVMe update support)

Also, errors at the end:

Oct 25 15:22:36 server osishelperd[1263]: Bless failed with error num: 3
    Oct 25 15:22:36 server osinstallersetupd[1243]: -[OSISHelperProxy blessUpdateBundleAtPath:mutableProductPath:enclosingMountPoint:]_block_invoke_2: Error Domain=com.apple.bless Code=3 "(null)"
    Oct 25 15:22:36 server osinstallersetupd[1243]: Unable to setup bless on disk.

NVMe drives can have "domains" (I think that's the term) - they look like multiple drives.  For NVMe firmware updates, a different "domain" might be required for the most common method of updating the firmware.  

Is the NVMe drive a 3rd party?  Maybe it does not have/support the features Apple requires?
  • Reply 54 of 59
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    @lkrupp is obligated to make at least one crabby comment per thread. I think AI must pay him to do it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 55 of 59
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    @lkrupp is obligated to make at least one crabby comment per thread. I think AI must pay him to do it.
    A consummate negative poster (@crowley) defending his incessant negativity, your post makes no sense.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    A consummate negative poster (@crowley) defending his incessant negativity, your post makes no sense.
    If you go back and read lkrupp’s posts it makes perfect sense. Virtually every one of his posts is complaining about ‘haters,’ Apple being unfairly singled out or sarcastically criticizing someone who posted a comment that wasn’t glowing praise of Apple.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 59
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    Cry me a river and stop obsessing over me.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    ikir said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

You are often exaggerating negatively, also you are totally imposing your views like "Focus mode is totally useless, no other features makes sense..." and go on. Most features are life saver for most users, try to imagine other workflow of uses. He is right, so it apply to you too: If you are so frustrate just change computer/hobby/attitude. Save your blood pressure and try a new hobby.
    Sharing an opinion is not "imposing my view".  Toughen up.

And no one's life has been saved by tab groups or focus mode.  Get a grip.

I'm not frustrate(d).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 59 of 59
    macOS Monterey did not fix the problem of watching Youtube with Safari. Watching video for long period of time the screen will not refresh cleanly. The effect spread to other web page and other app and even the background screen. Even after restarting the problem still exist. The only better way is shutting down for a whole night. Hope the new MacBook Pro I will be getting next month will not have this problem.
    edited November 2021 williamlondon