White House shot down Intel plans to increase chip production in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    viclauyyc said:
    The chip shortage will continue under Biden administration. Companies will not manufacture chips in US. They cannot make money. If they try to raise prices they need to double or triple the prices. And this route is not working. Democrats have no concept of capitalism. 
    Sure, just make everything in China. From high end cpu to F35 and even spy satellite, they will all cost 70% less. 

Isn’t the orange man also push to make things in USA and move the production line back home? I guess he don’t meant it. After all, his MEGA hat and other trump products are made in China. 

Biden should not pushing the “Buy American Provision”, what do he knows about capitalism, right? Just get things from China and it is all good. 

Open your eyes. Look around. Without China, Apple cannot make so many iPhones for the whole world people to use. Apple and TSMC made enough sales to bring better and better smartphones to the world each year. Sure, Apple can make phones outside China. Then these places will not be able to produce same number of phones as in China. Intel falls behind TSMC because it cannot sell enough core chips to support more R&D and equipment purchases. 
    if there is a will, there is a way. It might take some time and shit tons of money. But still doable in long run. 
  • Reply 22 of 95
    The chip shortage will continue under Biden administration. Companies will not manufacture chips in US. They cannot make money. If they try to raise prices they need to double or triple the prices. And this route is not working. Democrats have no concept of capitalism. 
    LOL’ing at trying to blame the COVID-19 cascading supply chain issues on the current POTUS. Get effing real
    williamlondonwatto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 23 of 95
    I can guarantee you that President Trump would have also discouraged Intel from building a plant in China. So why make it political? 
    williamlondonqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    joogabah said:
    tmay said:
    Xed said:
    LOL I can't wait to hear the contortions of people ... that hate private US companies from doing any business outside the US, especially in China.
    I buy from non-dictatorships any time I can, even when it costs more. But I don't hate. Don't make it sounds that I'm motivated by hate. I'm motivated by love for freedom and democracy. 

If you want to imagine that I'm motivated by hate, I guess that's your right to be wrong.
    Are you an American? You are illogical. You do not live in China. Why are you afraid of losing freedom and democracy because of China? 
    Gee, if only the PRC would limit itself to occupying Mainland China.

Instead, it's all about invading Taiwan, occupying the South China Sea, and the First Island Chain, as if those were exclusive economic zones for the PRC. Moreover, the PRC is more than happy to export its brand of authoritarianism. Fortunately, the West is quite aware of the PRC's broad expansionist plans, and while late to constrain the PRC, the West is strengthening alliances to resist that expansionism, both militarily and economically.

Meanwhile, the PRC has a limited timeframe to do all of this before its heavily senior demographics overwhelms its shrinking working population, all with a birth rate that is too little to maintain the population. It's probable that the PRC won't ever be a rich country, and can expect its population to halve by 2060.

What the West is concerned about is that Xi will launch an invasion of Taiwan by 2025, and will attempt to challenge the West's military supremacy in the Pacific in this decade, but that risk diminishes by 2035.
    Both the PRC and Taiwan officially consider themselves to be the governments of ALL of China.
    You can't invade your own country.  This is an internal matter between factions within China, part of a stalemate in a civil war, and it is wildly inappropriate for the USA to be dictating who should prevail.  It should be up to the Chinese people to forge their own destiny.
    Well, the Taiwanese people feel differently about the situation than the PRC, preferring a vibrant democracy over an overbearing authoritarianism, and given that the birth of the PRC was in 1921, and not in China's antiquity, I and others don't see how the PRC can claim ownership of Taiwan, anymore than Taiwan can claim ownership of the Mainland.

It was a World War that created a strained alliance of the PLA and the Nationalists, and the divorce happened shortly after the end of that war. Certainly the U.S. had an interest in maintaining the authoritarian Nationalists on Taiwan early on, that were ceded the island of Formosa by Japan, as a bulwark to the spread of Communism, and over time, Taiwan evolved into a shining example of democracy.

Thus, I have no problem with the U.S., et al, supporting the Taiwanese living a life of freedom and democracy. Whether the U.S., et al, should defend Taiwan in the event of an invasion by the PLA is certainly controversial, though ironically, the PRC's actions in Hong Kong, and its recent "Wolf Warrior Diplomacy" have greatly increased support of Taiwan in the West.

Personally, I tire of the United Front Work Department interfering in our Western societies, albeit, this too is ultimately working in Taiwan's favor. Do I need to post link to that?

edited November 2021 qwerty52watto_cobrallamaPShimi
  • Reply 25 of 95
    I can guarantee you that President Trump would have also discouraged Intel from building a plant in China. So why make it political? 
    This is my point. Trump was trying to do it. Biden dose not try to reverse the trend. He has no concept of how capitalism works. Rich people become richer because their stock price keeps going up. And stock price keeps going up because the Fed government keeps printing money. 
  • Reply 26 of 95
    tmay said:
    joogabah said:
    tmay said:
    Xed said:
    LOL I can't wait to hear the contortions of people ... that hate private US companies from doing any business outside the US, especially in China.
    I buy from non-dictatorships any time I can, even when it costs more. But I don't hate. Don't make it sounds that I'm motivated by hate. I'm motivated by love for freedom and democracy. 

If you want to imagine that I'm motivated by hate, I guess that's your right to be wrong.
    Are you an American? You are illogical. You do not live in China. Why are you afraid of losing freedom and democracy because of China? 

Instead, it's all about invading Taiwan, occupying the South China Sea, and the First Island Chain, as if those were exclusive economic zones for the PRC. Moreover, the PRC is more than happy to export its brand of authoritarianism. Fortunately, the West is quite aware of the PRC's broad expansionist plans, and while late to constrain the PRC, the West is strengthening alliances to resist that expansionism, both militarily and economically.

Meanwhile, the PRC has a limited timeframe to do all of this before its heavily senior demographics overwhelms its shrinking working population, all with a birth rate that is too little to maintain the population. It's probable that the PRC won't ever be a rich country, and can expect its population to halve by 2060.

What the West is concerned about is that Xi will launch an invasion of Taiwan by 2025, and will attempt to challenge the West's military supremacy in the Pacific in this decade, but that risk diminishes by 2035.
    Both the PRC and Taiwan officially consider themselves to be the governments of ALL of China.
    You can't invade your own country.  This is an internal matter between factions within China, part of a stalemate in a civil war, and it is wildly inappropriate for the USA to be dictating who should prevail.  It should be up to the Chinese people to forge their own destiny.
    Well, the Taiwanese people feel differently about the situation than the PRC, preferring a vibrant democracy over an overbearing authoritarianism, and given that the birth of the PRC was in 1921, and not in China's antiquity, I and others don't see how the PRC can claim ownership of Taiwan, anymore than Taiwan can claim ownership of the Mainland.

It was a World War that created a strained alliance of the PLA and the Nationalists, and the divorce happened shortly after the end of that war. Certainly the U.S. had an interest in maintaining the authoritarian Nationalists on Taiwan early on, that were ceded the island of Formosa by Japan, as a bulwark to the spread of Communism, and over time, Taiwan evolved into a shining example of democracy.

Thus, I have no problem with the U.S., et al, supporting the Taiwanese living a life of freedom and democracy. Whether the U.S., et al, should defend Taiwan in the event of an invasion by the PLA is certainly controversial, though ironically, the PRC's actions in Hong Kong, and its recent "Wolf Warrior Diplomacy" have greatly increased support of Taiwan in the West.

Personally, I tire of the United Front Work Department interfering in our Western societies, albeit, this too is ultimately working in Taiwan's favor. Do I need to post link to that?

PRC is a nation. CCP is the political party which is governing China. You never learn. I have taught you that Xi said several times CCP will reunite Taiwan peacefully. In order to complete your false logic you forget to reconcile this fact. 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 27 of 95
    joogabah said:
    tmay said:
    Xed said:

Yes, it would be about invading. Taiwan is democratic with very different laws and a very different political system. China is a Dictatorship which does not have the Rule of Law. The Taiwanese people do not want to be ruled by China. So yes it would be an invasion. Also it is not up to the Chinese people to forge their own destiny. It is up to Xi Jinping to forge the destiny of the Chinese people because he makes all the rules and there is nothing the Chinese people can do about it. If a Chinese citizen doesn’t like one of Xi Jinping’s rules and speaks up about it, then they can go to prison. Or I guess you could say the Communist Party’s rules but Xi Jinping is the head of the party so he usually gets what he wants.
    cat52Dogperson
  • Reply 28 of 95
    joogabah said:
    tmay said:
    Xed said:

Yes, it would be about invading. Taiwan is democratic with very different laws and a very different political system. China is a Dictatorship which does not have the Rule of Law. The Taiwanese people do not want to be ruled by China. So yes it would be an invasion. Also it is not up to the Chinese people to forge their own destiny. It is up to Xi Jinping to forge the destiny of the Chinese people because he makes all the rules and there is nothing the Chinese people can do about it. If a Chinese citizen doesn’t like one of Xi Jinping’s rules and speaks up about it, then they can go to prison. Or I guess you could say the Communist Party’s rules but Xi Jinping is the head of the party so he usually gets what he wants.
    Yes, Xi want to peacefully reunite with Taiwan. Do you understand the political meaning of the word peacefully here? 
    Taiwan doesn’t want to be ruled by China. So if China takes over Taiwan, it would not be peaceful. The only way Taiwan would agree to reunite with China would be if the Chinese government changed systems to a democratic form of government which will not happen any time soon.  
    tmayqwerty52DogpersonllamaPShimi
  • Reply 29 of 95
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    I feel sorry for the average Chinese citizen, you know, the ~1.3B folks that have to breath dirty air; couldn’t have more than one kid, and now that they’re able to have more and are even being encouraged to do so they can’t afford it; live in fear of crossing the government and ending up in prison and/or as involuntary organ donors; living with the shame of the whole world knowing that your country blatantly steals technology because it would have been impossible to catch up; joining with fellow sickle and hammer Ruskie comrades for war games, etc etc.

Perhaps it’ll be good if their population halves.  Better for the environment, better for their standard of living in the long run.  700M people is still quite large.  

Intel and TSMC are investing heavily in new state of the art plants in Arizona.  I’m sure they’ve done the math and figured out they can make substantial profits producing in the U.S.

The U.S. is far from perfect but anyone defending the CCP is a fool.  At some point there will be a revolt, not just some guy symbolically standing in front of a tank.
    cat52tmaywilliamlondonDogpersonllamaPShimi
  • Reply 30 of 95
    cg27 said:
    I feel sorry for the average Chinese citizen, you know, the ~1.3B folks that have to breath dirty air; couldn’t have more than one kid, and now that they’re able to have more and are even being encouraged to do so they can’t afford it; live in fear of crossing the government and ending up in prison and/or as involuntary organ donors; living with the shame of the whole world knowing that your country blatantly steals technology because it would have been impossible to catch up; joining with fellow sickle and hammer Ruskie comrades for war games, etc etc.

Perhaps it’ll be good if their population halves.  Better for the environment, better for their standard of living in the long run.  700M people is still quite large.  

Intel and TSMC are investing heavily in new state of the art plants in Arizona.  I’m sure they’ve done the math and figured out they can make substantial profits producing in the U.S.

The U.S. is far from perfect but anyone defending the CCP is a fool.  At some point there will be a revolt, not just some guy symbolically standing in front of a tank.
    US is perfect? How can a 18 years with multiple crimes committed before be released into the society and killed a 24 years old University of Chicago graduate? Each weekend tens of Chicagoans died of gun shots. This is perfect government? I am talking about confirmed news. What you have heard are just China haters propaganda. This is a big difference. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 95
    At some point in time, you American will have to decide whether you want to do business with China or be at war with it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 95
    viclauyyc said:
    Sure, just make everything in China. From high end cpu to F35 and even spy satellite, they will all cost 70% less. 

Isn’t the orange man also push to make things in USA and move the production line back home? I guess he don’t meant it. After all, his MEGA hat and other trump products are made in China. 

Biden should not pushing the “Buy American Provision”, what do he knows about capitalism, right? Just get things from China and it is all good. 

Open your eyes. Look around. Without China, Apple cannot make so many iPhones for the whole world people to use. Apple and TSMC made enough sales to bring better and better smartphones to the world each year. Sure, Apple can make phones outside China. Then these places will not be able to produce same number of phones as in China. Intel falls behind TSMC because it cannot sell enough core chips to support more R&D and equipment purchases. 

Please stop your bullshit!

You have no idea what you're talking about

There is a huge difference between research, design and creating something, and only the production of this ‘something’.

If Apple didn't created  the iPhone, the people who are working now for Apple in China, might not have a job at all.

So don't tell me: “Without China, ....blah,.... blah....blah...”

BlizzardPShimi
  • Reply 33 of 95

How can they not make money when they are making good money from their manufacturing of processors in the USA right now? The whole idea of prices needing to be doubled or tripled would only happen if the entire process of making the processors was done by hand, which it clearly isn't.
    edited November 2021 tmayPShimi
  • Reply 34 of 95
    glennh said:
    Bullshit! This crap started under the Reagan Administration. I live in Silicon Valley and personally saw Intel strip and close chip factories in the past to move the equipment over seas to increase profits to enrich executives bonuses through excessive profits through cheap labor and not regards for either domestic and foreign workers, the environment or national security concerns. 

One would think that after the World’s Covid PPE shortages made worst by the hoarding, excessive profiteering and the arrogant Chinese Communist Party using its control of the manufacturing as a political weapon the world has learned the lesson of depending on a inherently corruption and authoritarian to deliver essential goods.

The Biden administration is 1000 percent correct in trying to stop our “Capitalist from selling the ROPES to OUR and the ENTIRE WORLD HANGING!” 
    But the Biden's love China and will do whatever benefits them personally. Also democrats do not like capitalism or big corporations. And they flat out hate small business. Just wait for the huge tax increases on businesses that will kill the economy.
    edited November 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 95
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

The foundation for that foolishness was laid by Republicans who still want to instigate a cold war -- or possibly even a hot one.

It was Trump who tied production in China to National Security -- then provoked them in order to make his prophecy self-fulfilling.

At least Biden toned down the hate filled rhetoric and propaganda.
    Frankly, it sounds like this has more to do with American jobs than National Security.  And that puts it on a different platform where its merits can be debated logically rather then through hate and fear.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    glennh said:
    Bullshit! This crap started under the Reagan Administration. I live in Silicon Valley and personally saw Intel strip and close chip factories in the past to move the equipment over seas to increase profits to enrich executives bonuses through excessive profits through cheap labor and not regards for either domestic and foreign workers, the environment or national security concerns. 

One would think that after the World’s Covid PPE shortages made worst by the hoarding, excessive profiteering and the arrogant Chinese Communist Party using its control of the manufacturing as a political weapon the world has learned the lesson of depending on a inherently corruption and authoritarian to deliver essential goods.

The Biden administration is 1000 percent correct in trying to stop our “Capitalist from selling the ROPES to OUR and the ENTIRE WORLD HANGING!” 

True, it did start under Reagan. 
    American industry realized that it had two options: 
    -- Continue manufacturing in the U.S. -- and go out of business.
    -- Move production to more efficient countries (such as Japan at the time) and prosper.

Reagan tried Protective Tariffs to stop that move.  But protective tariffs can never overcome free market capitalism.  

We needed to make American industry more efficient instead of trying to build castle walls around it  and hunkering down inside the prison we built for ourselves.  Castle walls can only slow the attack but eventually they fail.
    llama
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Xed said:

Nice spin!  Good job!
    Xed
  • Reply 38 of 95
    entropys said:
    Xed said:

Well I agree with them.
    China is not capitalist.  Government and corporate are intertwined. While no longer solely owning the means of production, the government still controls the means of production. Price does not reflect cost.
    Xi is just following Stalin’s plan to sell the stupid capitalists enough rope to hang themselves, although this time it might pull it off.   Used to be pretty sanguine about this stuff, but it is clear the CCP leadership has legacy plans, and is increasingly aggressive on the international stage.
    Speaking of legacy plans, I wonder why Intel isn’t interested in Taiwan as a location? It is actually a functional democracy.

China is not capitalist?  Really?
    That's an odd thing to say because:  Chinese capitalism beat us at our own game.   
    As Apple has said:  'they do it better, faster and cheaper'.

Free market capitalism is based on survival of the fittest.  We can again try to hide behind protective tariffs and government interventions -- just as we attempted to do 40 years ago.  But, like then, free market capitalism will eventually win and those who do it better, faster and cheaper will rise to the top.

We can try to slow the steady march of free market capitalism, but we can never stop it.
    Our best and only chance is to once again be able to do it:  'better, faster and cheaper'. 

Put it this way:
    If you had a company like Intel, would you want to operate in a country that folded up and shut down when a virus struck because of "freedom"?   Or in one that banded together, stopped the virus from spreading and kept business and industry thriving?  Where would you put your money?

Xed
  • Reply 39 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

The foundation for that foolishness was laid by Republicans who still want to instigate a cold war -- or possibly even a hot one.

It was Trump who tied production in China to National Security -- then provoked them in order to make his prophecy self-fulfilling.

At least Biden toned down the hate filled rhetoric and propaganda.
    Frankly, it sounds like this has more to do with American jobs than National Security.  And that puts it on a different platform where its merits can be debated logically rather then through hate and fear.
    It's primarily about National Security, hence the shifting of focus of the U.S. Military and our allies to the Indo-Pacific. 

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/2530733/erosion-of-us-strength-in-indo-pacific-is-dangerous-to-all-commander-says/

Since the 1990s, successive U.S. administrations have emphasized the importance of the Indo-Pacific region. Davidson called it "the most consequential region for America's future," and more and more defense resources are pouring into the United States military's priority theater. 

"The region itself contains four of the five priority security challenges identified by the Department of Defense: China, Russia, North Korea and violent extremist organizations," Davidson said. "The Indo-Pacific region also experiences frequent, natural and manmade disasters, the negative impacts of climate change, rapid population growth, drug and human trafficking and of course, disease and pandemics."

The region accounts for 60 percent of the world's current gross domestic product, and contributes more than two-thirds to the present global economic growth. "In 10 years, the region will host two-thirds of the world's population and two-thirds of the global economy," Davidson said. 

The United States promotes the current free and open Indo-Pacific region that has allowed all nations — including China — to prosper. Moving forward, the United States remains committed to free, fair and reciprocal trade. The United States wants all nations to have access to global markets. The American position also fosters good governance, human rights and civil liberties. 

• Reply 40 of 95
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Blizzard said:

How can they not make money when they are making good money from their manufacturing of processors in the USA right now? The whole idea of prices needing to be doubled or tripled would only happen if the entire process of making the processors was done by hand, which it clearly isn't.
    His original argument was toast in the first sentence. Both Intel and TSMC are building fabs in Arizona right now. TSMC has a large fab in southern WA. Intel has many fabs in Oregon. They both are profitable. This whole argument started from an igorant statement by someone clearly on the spectrum. Just ignore him. 
    tmay