Brydge Max+ keyboard for 11-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air now available

Posted:
in General Discussion

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Just curious why these keyboard/case/folio manufacturers don't use the smart connector, is there some obstacle or hurdle preventing them?
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Just curious why these keyboard/case/folio manufacturers don't use the smart connector, is there some obstacle or hurdle preventing them?
    I have a logitech keyboard for my 2nd gen iPad pro that uses the smart connector. I love the fact that I never need to worry about charging a battery for it. People argue that ‘every xxx months is not inconvenient,’ but when the battery dies while you’re on a trip and you don’t have the cable it’s very inconvenient.

I’ve also noticed that few (none?) of the newer keyboards use the smart connector. My assumption is that there are royalties involved but I could be wrong. Apple also moved the smart connector for some reason so it’s in a much less convenient or logical position so that may play a roll as well.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MplsP said:
    I have a logitech keyboard for my 2nd gen iPad pro that uses the smart connector. I love the fact that I never need to worry about charging a battery for it. People argue that ‘every xxx months is not inconvenient,’ but when the battery dies while you’re on a trip and you don’t have the cable it’s very inconvenient.

I’ve also noticed that few (none?) of the newer keyboards use the smart connector. My assumption is that there are royalties involved but I could be wrong. Apple also moved the smart connector for some reason so it’s in a much less convenient or logical position so that may play a roll as well.
    Thanks for that, didn't know Logitech actually had one, good on them more should do the same. I absolutely agree with you on the convenience of not having to recharge it, even every few months. Seems a no-brainer, at least from a user perspective it is.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Just received my Brydge Max+ keyboard unit for my 11" iPad Pro M1 2TB. Really like it. Works great on the airlines. One can take it off the keyboard and rotate it to vertical which was not an option before. Build quality is great. Another improvement is the power inlet is now on the same side as the iPad power port so cables do not need to wrap around the desk top.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:

I bought a no-name case, keyboard & trackpad for my grandson's iPad last year for 1/4 what this one costs.  It charges with a USB-C cable so that's easy enough.  But, nevertheless, I've only charged it once (maybe twice) in that time frame.  

I don't get the objection to bluetooth peripherals.
    Neither do I understand why these things cost so much.  We've have wireless bluetooth keyboards and such for years -- they're cheap and they work well.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Maybe what Apple should do is copy the technology from its new mag-safe battery/charger that snaps to the back of the magsafe iPhones:   You can charge either the phone or the battery then the phone manages which gets charged first and which gets used/discharged first.

Along those lines, if the iPad is attached to its keyboard case with a smart connector, they could open that keyboard up to be a hub with extra ports.   Laptop vendors have been doing that for decades and it works well:  When it's sitting on its dock, it's fully connected to all types of peripherals via multiple ports.   When you need to travel, simply pop the computer out of its dock and go -- there's no messing around with cables.