Apple Maps enables accident and hazard reports in Germany

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has updated Apple Maps in Germany, with users in the country now able to report any road hazards or traffic accidents within the navigation app.

Users of Apple Maps in the United States and China have been allowed to report issues on the road since the release of iOS 14.5. Now, users in Germany are able to report the same events, but for their roads and highways.

When on the road, users can submit a report within Apple Maps, through an option labeled "Storung Melden," according to Macerkopf. Selecting it, users can then choose either "Unfall" (Accident) or "Gefahr" (Danger), depending on the kind of report they wish to make.

After a brief countdown to give users a chance to cancel the message before being submitted, the report then gets provided to Apple Maps and can be used to alert other users of problems in the area.

While the addition functionally works similar to the US version -- first seen in iOS 14.5 -- it does not include an option to warn other drivers that a speed check is in operation at a specific place.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Apple has also enabled this feature for Singapore since iOS 15 betas.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Why is this taking so long? The UK has had reporting for about 6 months, and Waze has had this feature for 10 years, before Apple Maps even existed. Apple seem to have completely lost the agility they had before Cook. They're glacially slow at adding features now. It took them nearly a year to add mask-unlock to iOS/watchOS, by which time many mask mandates had ceased to be a thing. Facetime has only just got web support, years after Zoom and Teams had the same. Where is under-screen TouchID that Android phones have had for years? It's perfect in these COVID times. Come on Apple, you can do better than this.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    This feature is also live in Ireland. 
    kiltedgreenwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    skipdeedy said:
    This feature is also live in Ireland. 
    chaicka said:
    Apple has also enabled this feature for Singapore since iOS 15 betas.
    Also available in The Netherlands. And every time after Apple Maps finishes directions, it asks me how I rate the directions...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    NumNuts said:
    https://crashnotaccident.com/

Crucial distinction. Apple have renamed them as such in the app - go to report and incident and the first is Crash!

Excellent work from Apple, just need the journalists to catch up ..

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Just noticed that even when the image that AppleInsider uses to illustrate the article it says “Crash” but they still refer to it as an accident! Can’t get out of the habit. Yet.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The feature is live in Canada as well but it needs work. Twice I was warned of a traffic situation with the option to report Ongoing or Clear. Unfortunately that option disappeared just before I got to the site so I couldn’t add my report. Apple needs to put a little delay so we can respond while driving. 
    watto_cobra