Apple, Meta on 'collision course' in wearables, home, and AR markets

Posted:
in General Discussion
The rivalry between Apple and Meta appears to be mostly about privacy, but competition around augmented reality, wearables, and smart home devices could be brewing between the two tech giants.

Credit: Meta
Credit: Meta

In the latest edition of Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter, Mark Gurman compares the AR, smartwatch, and home device initiatives of the two Silicon Valley giants.

While Apple has issued privacy updates that have affected Meta's business, Meta -- formerly known as Facebook -- has criticized Apple's App Store policies. However, Gurman posits that the rivalry will heat up when both companies begin competing in other spaces.

Meta, for example, is currently working on a mixed-reality headset called Project Cambria. Apple too is said to be developing an advanced mixed-reality visor, which will likely be much more expensive than Meta's version.

Additionally, the Apple Watch could see future competition from a Meta-branded smartwatch that could incorporate health and communication features.

Lastly, Meta expanded into smart home products with its Portal lineup of devices. Apple competes in the market with the HomePod and HomeKit.

However, Gurman believes that Apple is "about get serious" in the smart home business. The company is rumored to be working on a combined set-top box with a speaker built-in, as well as a device that could be similar to the Portal or Amazon's Echo Show.

The end result, according to the "Power On" newsletter, is that Apple and Meta are likely headed toward a "collision course" in the wearables, home, and AR markets.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    i’ve been noticing this for a while. the metaverse will be a n frontier for these two companies.

so excited for apple to start rolling out its metaverse plans starting with the great headset.
    rezwitsAnilu_777dk49jas99
  • Reply 2 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    One company that makes it its stated aim, the core of its brand, to protect user information and privacy.
    Another that overtly steals whatever it can licitly or illicitly get its hands on to sell to anyone with the cash no matter who gets hurt in the process.

Yeah, I don't really care what Meta comes up with. I won't be using it.
    qwerty52williamlondonlkrupplolliverStrangeDaysrezwitsplastico23Anilu_777kdupuis77Alex_V
  • Reply 3 of 14
    AppleInsider said: 
    “However, Gurman posits that the rivalry will heat up when both companies begin competing in other spaces.”

You are wrong Mr. Gurman. Facebook is competing only for one thing: the privacy data of the user. Zuckerberg is trying desperately to eliminate every Apple’s hardware, by creating his own copy of it. In this way he is hoping to avoid Apple’s restrictions on privacy. 

Don’t forget: The business model of Facebook is based on stealing the privacy data of the users.  

edited November 2021 lkrupplolliverrezwitsbaconstangAnilu_777dk49jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    He's as blind as he can be
    Just sees what he wants to see
    Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Beatles on Meta...
    qwerty52Anilu_777Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Bosa said:
    Meta what is?
    The new name of Facebook. Also known as the Big Spy
    Alex_Vqwerty52jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I trust (with a reasonable amount of skepticism) Apple's intentions, in terms of using personal data (stripped of identifiers) to improve their products and services. I EXPECT Facebook/Meta, whatever, will steal as much data as possible, track our movements in our own homes, record every conversation, parse EVERYTHING, use machine learning and AI for the sole purpose of building a more robust, detailed digital profile of us than it already has and sell that our digital identities to anyone who wants to buy it. That's literally their business model.
    Also, "Facebook" was a weird, somewhat whimsical name that has made a home in our public consciousness. "Meta" has the ominous feel of an omniscient corporation in a William Gibson or Neal Stephenson novel.

DAalsethAlex_Vqwerty52jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I trust (with a reasonable amount of skepticism) Apple's intentions, in terms of using personal data (stripped of identifiers) to improve their products and services. I EXPECT Facebook/Meta, whatever, will steal as much data as possible, track our movements in our own homes, record every conversation, parse EVERYTHING, use machine learning and AI for the sole purpose of building a more robust, detailed digital profile of us than it already has and sell that our digital identities to anyone who wants to buy it. That's literally their business model.
    Also, "Facebook" was a weird, somewhat whimsical name that has made a home in our public consciousness. "Meta" has the ominous feel of an omniscient corporation in a William Gibson or Neal Stephenson novel.

Zuck Inc is in direct competition with Google for 'our lives'. By that I mean all the data about us, our families, friends and everything. Where we go, who we meet... no make that pass in the street is all fair game. I happened to meet someone last Saturday whom I had not seen since 1976. By some freak of chance we were seated in the same row at a Rugby match. That meeting could have been the way that Fecalbook connects our lives except that I had left my phone in my car which was 30+ miles away. That is the 'meta' world that Zuck envisages. It is not the world that I want anything to do with.
    I blocked facebook at my home firewall more than 10 years ago. Long may that remain.

Apple is their (Facebook and Google) biggest enemy when it comes to the collation of personal data. We are all fair game to those two companies. Welcome to their version of 'Brave new World' (provided it has not been banned at a library near you).
    Alex_Vqwerty52jas99baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member

i thought facebook used data for ads but not directly sell it? am i wrong?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    byronl said:

i thought facebook used data for ads but not directly sell it? am i wrong?
    I'm fairly certain their usage agreement allows them to do anything they like with your data.  But you're right, it's in their best interest not to sell it to others and simply monetize it for advertising.  That said, we all know what happened with the Cambridge Analytica data scandal and the great potential for misuse.
    edited November 2021 baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    It's still Facebook, so no thanks. 
    bonoboblkruppbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hope Apple's plans for AR are a bit more refined than Zuck's cringeworthy metaverse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Can you just call it Facebook, like you generally use Google when referring to Alphabet?  That way, we'll know better what you're talking about.  Thanks for listening.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I doubt Apple views FB/Meta as much of a threat.  Both FB and Google have, in the past, tried to compete with Apple in the hardware space.  FB's phone plans were an utter failure while Google, because of Pixel sales - small as they are - just hasn't realized tit's hardware ambitions are pointless.  Both companies lack the scale necessary to deliver cutting edge technology products at a reasonable cost and within reasonable time frames.  They don't have the supply chains.  They don't get any priority from manufacturers (because of the size of their orders), etc.
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra