Epic's Tim Sweeney calls Google 'crazy,' says 'Apple must be stopped'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    So, who exactly is "crazy" and "must be stopped"?!
    baconstangstevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Imagine how well Epic might be doing if Sweeney put as much effort into maximizing the capabilities and resources of his company as he's been putting into his personal jihad against Apple and Google. Is he really the CEO of a business enterprise with employees who count on his business and cultural leadership and stakeholders who expect him to deliver results, or he just another bored CEO and aspiring politician looking to stroke his ego?

He sure likes to talk to whomever will listen about what he's going to do to control his own fate, but doesn't seem to take the helm and just go do it. He should be fixated on achieving success on his own terms rather than blaming Google and Apple for impeding his progress. If he thinks Google and Apple are in his way, go around them, don't try to litigate a path through them.

If Epic fails it will have nothing at all to do with Google or Apple or who owns what store or influences what developers. It will be because Epic failed to control its own destiny and accepted its own failure on someone else's terms. Sweeney will own such a failure 100%.

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59
    This is a standard tactic:
    When you have no logical, reasonable case or argument then fall back on demonizing and smearing your opponent.

It's a popular trick favored by politicians, ideologues and radicals.

There are many ways to approach it but a well known one is to scream:   I N F I D E L ! ! !
    ...  That way you don't have to defend your position.  The opponent has been demonized and must try to prove that they are not evil -- which avoids any intelligent discussion of the real issue.
    Absolutely right!
    The thief is screaming: "Hold the thief..."
    GeorgeBMacradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Yeah, and ich bin ein Berliner. Sweeney Toad is no JFK.
    qwerty52radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    So Tim doesn’t want Apple to have a universal App Store, even though they don’t. That would be “bad.”

instead, he wants himself to have the only App Store. Because somehow that would be “good.” 

Tim. Bro. Get help. Soon. Now would be good. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    crowley said:
    Being able to buy an app once and have the purchase be valid across platforms does have an appeal.
    I don’t see how developers are going to like that?  You have to pay for both an iOS app and Android app because they both cost money to develop.  
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Dude profits off of Apples hard work, then pretends that Apple somehow did him wrong. 

In reality, just a smokescreen to steer Apple customers to himself and even damage Apple in order to cause hemorrhaging of customers and weaken its competitor. 

And in his dream, he wins, Apple falls, and he gets to be the draconian dictator he falsely accused others of being. 

The level of sleaze is unreal.  

And that was before he tried to identify as Korean in order to gain free buddy points. Sheesh. 

The rest of Epic must be so ashamed. In spite of his controlling share, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a unanimous no-confidence vote coming up within a year. 
    edited November 2021 williamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So he’s now going after Google as well as Apple. I wonder what the stockholders and his board will think when EPIC finds itself banned from ALL the major App stores? 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac9secondkox2baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59

Epic's Tim Sweeney calls Google 'crazy,' says 'Apple must be stopped'

Fixed that for ya.
    DAalsethradarthekat9secondkox2baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 59
    crowley said:
    Being able to buy an app once and have the purchase be valid across platforms does have an appeal.
    Only if you ever consider leaving your current platform. Which in the case of Apple users would be like getting a very fancy insurance for very unlikely accidents.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    This article is written in such a way that it provokes “anti-Sweeney sentiment”. It’s Apple propaganda. 
    AppleInsider, you can do better, you should do better.
    edited November 2021 9secondkox2
  • Reply 32 of 59
    This article is written in such a way that it provokes “anti Sweenie sentiment”. It’s Apple propaganda. 
    Sweeney is his own anti-“sweenie” propaganda. Sny reporting of the facts is going to make him look bad. 

Because he’s kind of a bad guy. 
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMacradarthekatwilliamlondonrobababeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 59
    This article is written in such a way that it provokes “anti Sweenie sentiment”. It’s Apple propaganda. 
    Sweeney is his own anti-“sweetie” propaganda. Sny reporting of the facts is going to make him look bad. 

He’s not more the “bad guy” than Tim Cook is. It’s just about whether you like Apple as a company or Epic Games. And that’s not looking at this the right way, in my opinion.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Introducing the.... Epic App Store.

And yes, we'll collect a portion of the purchase price.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Beats said:
    viclauyyc said:
    If he sell his game at cost or make his game open source, then he is a good guy. 

But he is not. He is just a cheap jerk. 

He’s richer than Tim Cook and is CEO of one of the biggest game companies in the world. His parent company IS the biggest game developer in the world.

All that proves is that he demands a higher salary because money is more important to him, whereas Tim Cook knows he can live comfortably on a more-than-reasonable salary. What really matters is which CEO builds a more customer-focused business. I think Apple has that nailed.
    GeorgeBMacradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Sweeney is his own anti-“sweetie” propaganda. Sny reporting of the facts is going to make him look bad. 

He’s not more the “bad guy” than Tim Cook is. It’s just about whether you like Apple as a company or Epic Games. And that’s not looking at this the right way, in my opinion.
    Incorrect. 

Tim Cook honors contracts. 

Sweeney breaches them. 

One guy does honest work and makes his money by building the best products and services. 

The other guy tries to stiff his business partners. 

One guy you can trust the other you cannot. 

A shame. Epic has the single greatest game design engine. It’s really great. But it’s managed by a guy with no ethics. 

I like both companies. And I want both to succeed. The sad thing is both WERE succeeding! Apple was doing great snd epic was making crazy money. Then Sweeney drove his company off a greed cliff. All that really needs to happen is for that guy to either take his meds and get right in the head - or for the board to vote no confidence in him snd get someone who remembers what the company is about. 

Moral of the story: an honest wage for honest work. Don't be greedy. 
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMacradarthekatdewmeDAalsethwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 59
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    crowley said:
    And that’s possible today.  All Sweeney has to do is honor a purchase that was made on the Apple App Store when a user later moves to Android, for example.  He could credit that user the amount (after any App Store commission paid) that Epic received from that user for that app purchase and apply it as a discount when the user chooses to cross to another platform.  Of course, he fails to mention that fact.  
    edited November 2021 williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    And that’s possible today.  All Sweeney has to do is honor a purchase that was made on the Apple App Store when a user later moves to Android, for example.  He could credit that user the amount (after any App Store commission paid) that Epic received from that user for that app purchase and apply it as a discount when the user chooses to cross to another platform.  Of course, he fails to mention that fact.  
    I believe Fortnite does do this; all in app purchases are cross platform.  But for apps that you purchase up front, with no IAP, I don't believe there's any way for a developer to implement this, or at least not without some convoluted credit or rebate system.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    dee_dee said:
    crowley said:
    I don’t see how developers are going to like that?  You have to pay for both an iOS app and Android app because they both cost money to develop.  
    Developers on Steam and the Epic Game Store seem to cope just fine, and their prices are almost always lower than the single platform Mac App Store.

I doubt much of a developer's revenue comes from repeat purchases from platform hopping; there aren't that many people flitting between Android and iOS.
    dewme
  • Reply 40 of 59
    crowley said:
    Only if you ever consider leaving your current platform. Which in the case of Apple users would be like getting a very fancy insurance for very unlikely accidents.
    You would never consider leaving a platform?  That seems rather dogmatic, never is a long time.  

I also don't see how it's "fancy insurance".  It's just buying an app from a different place, the price would probably be the same.
    dewme