New AirPods, AirPods Pro firmware updates are now available

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Apple has issued new firmware updates for third-generation AirPods and AirPods Pro.

New firmware is available for AirPods and AirPods Pro
New firmware is available for AirPods and AirPods Pro

Expected in the update are Apple's standard performance improvements, and bug fixes. The previous update also brought support for Conversation Boost for the AirPods Pro.

The AirPods Pro get firmware version 4.0 (4A402), a slight change from the previous 4A400 build. Third-generation AirPods get version 4.1 4B66. Apple hansn't provided release notes or any reason for the difference in build numbers.

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, with no mechanism available to manually force an update. As long as AirPods or AirPods Pro are in a charging case and connected to an iOS device, the firmware will install by itself.

How to check your AirPods firmware version

AirPods users can check the current firmware for their audio accessories within the Settings app.

1. Open the Settings App

2. Select General

3. Select About

4. Select the AirPods you wish to view

5. A menu will appear showing relevant device information

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Huh ... neither my AirPods 3 nor my AirPods Pro seem to want to update.

Even rebooted my phone, but no joy.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Huh ... neither my AirPods 3 nor my AirPods Pro seem to want to update.

Even rebooted my phone, but no joy.
    Same here 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Well, my AirPods Pro updated ... AirPods 3 just sit there and laugh at me :# .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    My AirPods Pro updated themselves. I really wish Apple would tell us what these updates do! Can’t do anything with the info - Just curious, that’s all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    It’s my understanding that firmware and software updates, are not the same thing. Firmware does not add new features, generally it improves the performance of hardware.
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    geekmee said:
    It’s my understanding that firmware and software updates, are not the same thing. Firmware does not add new features, generally it improves the performance of hardware.

Software needs firmware (the interface that controls the hardware) to run - firmware does not necessarily need any software. All the firmware I wrote over the years needed no extra software to run - it was one and the same. This may also involve turning on or off certain hardware options that are “baked into” the hardware at manufacture.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I find that AirPods update sooner when they are left on charging. At least this has worked for me.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hank2.0 said:
    I find that AirPods update sooner when they are left on charging. At least this has worked for me.
    I did the same, connected AirPods Pros to my iPhone and left them on a charging pad came back half an hour later and firmware was updated. Hopefully it does something to improve battery life... I have a brand new pair of AirPod Pros that the case battery seems to drain excessively fast for some reason (Wondering if it has to do with the new Find My capabilities introduced in the previous firmware update?).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    You have to flip open the case before the AirPods appear in the Settings->General->About screen. Mine were up to date.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Erratic update as usual. Tried to 
    (1) use them
    (2) set them into the case
    (3) charge tgem
    (4) check update status every 10 minutes by opening the case, still charging, just opening. Et voila finally it appeared. 

Apple should really spend a button for the option “update now while charging” and tell us about the improvements.