Apple will allow customers to repair iPhones and Macs in 2022

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    elijahg said:
    This is brilliant, well done Apple. Hopefully the prices aren't too sky high to "compensate" for that customer not buying a new device.

I see my usual prediction that the obsessives here who gloat over Apple refusing to enact a policy that may lead to reduced profits despite that policy's popularity, are doing their usual act when Apple does exactly what they say Apple shouldn't: calling everyone who might benefit or use the new policy stupid, idiots, freaks etc. It's amazing how bitter some people can be about something that has exactly zero adverse effect on them.

It amuses me that the manufactured reasons why Apple wouldn't sell parts to customers like "repair quality", "security", "responsibility for device damage", etc are all blown away. It's comical watching the squirming, when Apple has done the right thing.
    Yeah - all those people who were so vehement that Apple could never allow repairs because of safety concerns are looking pretty silly right now. 

We’ll see how Apple goes about this. My guess is they offer ‘official’ parts but at prices comparable to the cost of an authorized repair center. That satisfies the critics because they’re technically allowing the repairs, just doing it in a way that makes them impractical. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 82 of 88
    MplsP said:
    elijahg said:
    This is brilliant, well done Apple. Hopefully the prices aren't too sky high to "compensate" for that customer not buying a new device.

I see my usual prediction that the obsessives here who gloat over Apple refusing to enact a policy that may lead to reduced profits despite that policy's popularity, are doing their usual act when Apple does exactly what they say Apple shouldn't: calling everyone who might benefit or use the new policy stupid, idiots, freaks etc. It's amazing how bitter some people can be about something that has exactly zero adverse effect on them.

It amuses me that the manufactured reasons why Apple wouldn't sell parts to customers like "repair quality", "security", "responsibility for device damage", etc are all blown away. It's comical watching the squirming, when Apple has done the right thing.
    Yeah - all those people who were so vehement that Apple could never allow repairs because of safety concerns are looking pretty silly right now. 

We’ll see how Apple goes about this. My guess is they offer ‘official’ parts but at prices comparable to the cost of an authorized repair center. That satisfies the critics because they’re technically allowing the repairs, just doing it in a way that makes them impractical. 
    There were few who objected to DIY repair / enhancements on "safety" concerns.
    Mostly the concerns dealt with quality, reputation and so on.
    When you got an iPhone (new or used) you were able to expect a certain level of quality and reliability.  You knew what you were getting.

It's one reason why Apple products demanded such a high price on the used market -- which in turn helps Apple charge a high price for the new ones they sell.

----------------
    Plus, in this case, Apple not only opened up the market for OEM parts but, by doing so, opened it up to 3rd party parts.  A repair shop will be able to mix and match however benefits them the most. 

I wasn't aware of it but, after a person rear-ended my car, her insurance provided an authorization and estimate for the repair of my car.   But, unbeknownst to me, it specified some 3rd party parts rather than OEM.  (My body shop managed squeeze OEM parts from it though).
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 83 of 88
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    rob53 said:
    What is "core" part? The proper name is battery core in cars. Go check in the store.
    Where are you from? The term "core" is used by all sorts of automotive parts. It's the left over original part. It's a generic term not specific to a battery. As for your lawyer, get a grip. Automotive parts dealers recycle a lot of old parts, using new parts as well as smelting down iron and steel. Batteries are the number one recycled automotive part because most of the internal parts are easily recycled, turning them into new batteries. There's also hazardous waste requirements they have to deal with. Batteries are not allowed to be dumped anymore, at least in the US.

As for Apple requiring original parts to be returned to them, I agree with them. Unscrupulous repair people would sell bad parts on ebay and other sites, trying to make a quick buck. 
    Yes they recycle. No need to mention, but the fact is you are not required to give them for recycle. They have obligation to give it back to you as it belongs to you. You may forfeit it. What part I am from is irrelevant I have lived in the US for 26 years and executed this procedure for repairs of my cars (I do a lot of my own besides IT).  There is no "core" parts and you are wrong. Tell me what is core in case of car brakes (I repaired for fun Mazda, Honda, Land Rovers, BMW e.t.c)? Have you ever even approached  car repair or you just play with cable to hook up your iPhone in car? I also replaced old iPod  batteries and Android phone with available components (back doors with sensors, batteries) as well as older MacBook's and Mac Minis. You know they did not require me to return "core" CPU when I replaced it with upgrade pulled out of old Dell laptop and installed into Mac Mini to make it dual core 64-bit circa 2006 model. Have you done those things? Any other questions I might help with so you know your rights and do not spread misinformation? BTW in California you may have restrictions on doing those things, but I couldn't care less what's in California. I live near New York City and plan to move to healthy south.
    Still no. And, this isn't a California thing.

In your example, in the case of the processor swap, you sourced the part independently from Apple since you said you took it from a Dell. Apple isn't involved, therefore, there is no part send-back to Apple. This is common sense. 

Batteries are consumables, and so is iPhone glass (we think). They won't have to go back.

Motherboards and other components, like LCD screen assemblies will, unless you want to pay the full replacement price, which will be significantly higher than if you returned the (broken) core to Apple. There is an example of pricing in the piece we wrote later in the day.

In short, we've previously seen initial charges for parts at $1000, with an $800 credit following return of the broken core. You want to keep that broken part as some kind of bizarre expensive trophy or keepsake, that's fine, but you'll pay the $1000 versus the net $200 you would if you returned the broken part.

Take the loss on this one, chief. You don't know what you're talking about, and aren't interested in learning how this works, since you're convinced you're right.

With the most charitable interpretation of what you're saying, you're the one spreading misinformation.
    edited November 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 88
    rob53 said:
    What is "core" part? The proper name is battery core in cars. Go check in the store.
    Where are you from? The term "core" is used by all sorts of automotive parts. It's the left over original part. It's a generic term not specific to a battery. As for your lawyer, get a grip. Automotive parts dealers recycle a lot of old parts, using new parts as well as smelting down iron and steel. Batteries are the number one recycled automotive part because most of the internal parts are easily recycled, turning them into new batteries. There's also hazardous waste requirements they have to deal with. Batteries are not allowed to be dumped anymore, at least in the US.

As for Apple requiring original parts to be returned to them, I agree with them. Unscrupulous repair people would sell bad parts on ebay and other sites, trying to make a quick buck. 
    Yes they recycle. No need to mention, but the fact is you are not required to give them for recycle. They have obligation to give it back to you as it belongs to you. You may forfeit it. What part I am from is irrelevant I have lived in the US for 26 years and executed this procedure for repairs of my cars (I do a lot of my own besides IT).  There is no "core" parts and you are wrong. Tell me what is core in case of car brakes (I repaired for fun Mazda, Honda, Land Rovers, BMW e.t.c)? Have you ever even approached  car repair or you just play with cable to hook up your iPhone in car? I also replaced old iPod  batteries and Android phone with available components (back doors with sensors, batteries) as well as older MacBook's and Mac Minis. You know they did not require me to return "core" CPU when I replaced it with upgrade pulled out of old Dell laptop and installed into Mac Mini to make it dual core 64-bit circa 2006 model. Have you done those things? Any other questions I might help with so you know your rights and do not spread misinformation? BTW in California you may have restrictions on doing those things, but I couldn't care less what's in California. I live near New York City and plan to move to healthy south.
    Disk brake calipers are often given a core rebate as they can be rebuilt.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 88
    hexclock said:
    Brandonw said:
    swat671 said:
    I wonder if they’ll expand the Macs it’s available with. I have a 2017 15” MacBook Pro that needs a new battery. 
    It costs $199 to get the battery replaced by apple. You can also buy the battery from ifixit for $139. I would just have apple do it. 
    Just had a battery replaced in our MacBook Air. Apple charged $129 plus tax. 
    Yeah, the 16" MBP is $199 though.  Bigger battery.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 88
    dewme said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    The basic principle of DIY repairs is sound, I guess. But I personally won’t buy any secondhand Apple devices without warranty anymore. The risk that they have been improperly repaired just went through the roof.

I think this may have hurt prices on the secondhand market, which in turn is bad from sustainability perspectives — quite contrary to what people believe.
    Why would lower prices on the second-hand market hurt sustainability?
    @crowley This is sustainability-101 knowledge. The faster you devalue a product, the lower its sustainability.

And if you put some realistic figures on these DIY-repairs you’ll see that very few tinkerers will benefit from this, but the whole secondhand market of Apple devices will be devalued — not just the repaired units. Then also read the comment by @lonestar1 in here.
    I think you have your reasoning backwards.  The user-repairability may lead to second hand products being less attractive and selling less, hence prices fall.   Sustainability could take a hit because there is less reuse on the second hand market and more waste or need for recycling, not because of the lower prices.  Same cause, different effect, no direct relationship.

If you can explain to me another reason why lower prices hurt sustainability then I'm happy to hear it, it doesn't make sense to me.
    Very interesting arguments on both sides. Personally, if I was looking for a used or reconditioned product I’d be exclusively looking at products that were serviced by Apple authorized repair shops, and specifically Apple directly, at least in the near term (next 5+ years).

We really don’t know how this experiment will actually play out in practice. Will “used” iPhone buyers (or are we going to go upmarket with “Pre Owned” moniker?) now have prospective units inspected for cold solder joints, battery kinks, poorly executed repairs, knock-off parts, and maybe even Bondo when they consider a used iPhone? A CarFax service for used iPhones? 

I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out over time, but my expectation is that it won’t change a thing for the vast majority of end users. It’ll probably open up a small market for third party repair services, some of which will be decent and some of which will be horrible. The one’s that don’t measure up will of course redirect their failures to Apple.

Finally, even though the longevity of smartphones is better than it was a decade ago, these are still products that become obsolete very quickly. The economics of selling repair parts and the desire to repair older devices is not working in favor of this market. But we will see.
    @dewme  Yeah, I hope I’m wrong.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Now following Apple's lead, Xiaomi has announced that they will allow self repair of their phones. This is a great news. Many people commenting on this topic simply do NOT get the point - Even if all the repair tools and manuals are provided, most of the ordinary people are NOT going to repair their phones on their own. This program will ENABLE ordinary users to get OEM parts as replacement and they can take those OEM parts to third party repair center as needed (instead of trying to get poor quality parts from 3rd party vendors even for common parts such as battery/display when replacement is needed). This will help in extending the useful lifespan of the devices out-of-warranty.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 88 of 88
    omasouomasou Posts: 575member
    Brandonw said:
    Disk brake calipers are often given a core rebate as they can be rebuilt.
    Never paid a core on disc brake pads. Ever.