Apple releases watchOS 8.1.1 with charging issue fix for Apple Watch Series 7

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has released watchOS 8.1.1, a minor update that addresses an issue that occurred when charging the Apple Watch Series 7.

watchOS 8.1.1 fixes an issue with Apple Watch Series 7 charging
watchOS 8.1.1 fixes an issue with Apple Watch Series 7 charging

According to the release notes, the update addresses a charging issue with the Apple Watch Series 7. No user-facing features were added or altered.

The new build number for watchOS 8.1.1 is 19R580, replacing build 19R570. watchOS 8.1 was originally released on October 25 with only bug fixes and performance improvements.

How to update the Apple Watch

The update will download and install automatically for users who have Automatic Updates enabled, when the Apple Watch is on its charger, charged to at least 50% battery, and within Wi-Fi range of the host iPhone. Alternately, users can manually update by navigating to the Apple Watch app on their iPhone.
  1. Open the Watch app
  2. Tap General
  3. Tap Software Update
  4. If there is an update available a prompt to download and install will appear
  5. Place the Apple Watch on its charger
  6. Once the Apple Watch is above 50% the update will begin
  7. Do not remove the Apple Watch from the charger until the update is complete and the time is displayed
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Update still not available . . . sigh . . .  :/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I wasn’t aware that there was a charging issue with the Series 7. I’ve found mine to be quick and reliable. In fact, after a month of use, the newness of the larger screen has worn off, but the speed of the charging still surprises me every day. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    watchOS 8.1.1 appears to be only for the Series 7. It’s not showing up for my Series 6 or Series 3.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I wonder what the charging issues is?

I know I have an odd charging issue since my Watch 5 (which carried over when I restored it to my Watch 6). My issue is when I place it on the charger, it does not go into clock mode, but starts to charge (shows watch face but the power circle complication is charging).......then several minutes later, it dings and goes in to clock mode and shows charging.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Kris2112 said:
    watchOS 8.1.1 appears to be only for the Series 7. It’s not showing up for my Series 6 or Series 3.
    Yeah, I have Series 7 Nike, still no update even today. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Still not available on my series 7 in the UK

• Reply 7 of 7
    I wonder what the charging issues is?

I know I have an odd charging issue since my Watch 5 (which carried over when I restored it to my Watch 6). My issue is when I place it on the charger, it does not go into clock mode, but starts to charge (shows watch face but the power circle complication is charging).......then several minutes later, it dings and goes in to clock mode and shows charging.
    I still have a Series 5 but my wife upgraded to a Series 7 and randomly her watch will stop charging overnight. She’ll put it on the charger at bedtime and wake up in the morning to a 30% charge. It seems to happen once or twice a week. Luckily with the new faster charger she can charge it again while she showers and by the time she’s done it’ll be fully charged.