AirPods are no longer cool, claim people who can't afford them

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2021
It's not fashionable to wear AirPods anymore, so there. Besides, they "radiate" you and anyway, all the best celebrities have gone back to wired earbuds.

Just say 'No' to AirPods
Just say 'No' to AirPods

Apple usually can't make enough AirPods, and counterfeiters can. But instead of Apple having a massive hit, a new idea claims that it's the people who wear them that are sell outs.

According to the Wall Street Journal, AirPods have "become too widespread to be cool." Celebrities you haven't heard of, have apparently been taking a stand against all wireless earbuds, and staying firmly wired.

While this is not in any way the reason for them doing it, they are apparently being photographed for an Instagram account called @wireditgirls. Plus, again according to the Wall Street Journal, if you need to, you can watch TikTok videos that helpfully explain how to use wired earbuds.

It is true that there are certain practical issues, though. First and unquestionably foremost, is the issue of price.

If you can't afford to drop anywhere north of $129 for a pair of AirPods, you can't afford to do it. So you have use cheaper corded ones, which at least will sound better than cheap counterfeit AirPods do.

Then if you can afford them, then there is still no question that you have other things you could be spending your $129, $179, or $249 on.

The Wall Street Journal also posits, though, that wired earbuds are far harder to lose than wireless ones. Plus, they're infinitely easier to charge -- since you never have to charge them at all.

Reportedly, there is also a claim that radiation from AirPods can harm you. "Not this again," the Food and Drug Administration didn't say, but might as well have done. The FDA does say Bluetooth headphones are harmless.

So it really only comes down to the charge in the battery and the charge to your bank account.

But beyond those practical issues, there is a claim that using wired earbuds means you're telling the world you don't buy into this whole keeping-up-with-tech vibe. Or rather, that you pick your precise technology period very carefully.

The Wall Street Journal talked with Shelby Hull, owner of the @wireditgirls account and marketing coordinator for Rostrum Records.

Hull said that the wired movement is part of "this huge romanticization and resurgence of the Tumblr era." If you missed that era and foolishly believe Tumblr still matters, then let us explain that it translates to 2014. Apparently.

"[It's] where people are looking at music as a whole aesthetic experience rather than just practical consumption," said Hull. "Low-fi tech is seen as more of an aesthetic experience and it contributes to that cool-factor."

Nobody tell all the sports stars and music celebrities who happen to get photographed wearing Apple wireless earbuds before they're released.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Kinda like iPhones. People claimed users were “sheep” but then bought a 50 buck knockoff of that product.

Where Apple messed up is by not giving enough attention to Beats, the headphone for “everyone else”.
    scout6900williamlondonviclauyycqwerty52byronlBart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    The headline captures 99% of the reasons Apple gets trolled. Otherwise, people would simply buy android phones and shut the fuck up. 
    scout6900Anilu_777byronlBart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    AirPods are cool insist people who found they spent $175 for AirPods that sound like $20 headphones and are ashamed and outraged to have just found out that they are no longer cool and wasted $155! I have a pair of JHA Roxanne’s IEM’s and no Bluetooth one size fits all is ever going to provide the same comfort and sound quality. It all depends on where you are in life, how much you have to spend and what you like. Class warfare comes to Appleinsider …
    Mittyscout6900williamlondonbaconstangdarkvaderlkruppblurpbleepbloopbyronlbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 42
    bulk001 said:
    AirPods are cool insist people who found they spent $175 for AirPods that sound like $20 headphones and are ashamed and outraged to have just found out that they are no longer cool and wasted $155! I have a pair of JHA Roxanne’s IEM’s and no Bluetooth one size fits all is ever going to provide the same comfort and sound quality. It all depends on where you are in life, how much you have to spend and what you like. Class warfare comes to Appleinsider …
    Thinks trend up, things trend down. The one thing you can count on from trendsetters is tomorrow what's out will be in, and what's in will be out.

Me: I like wireless buds, but am less in love with fear of loss or finite battery life. (You can't really change the battery in those things.)

What I really like is not knocking them out of my ears by trying to pass my hands or other objects through the wires.
    scout6900Anilu_777Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42

"AirPods are no longer cool, claim people who can't afford them"

This headline is pathetic. People don't like AirPods because they sound horrible. I have the Bose QC Earbuds and I've tried the Sony XM4s, both of which are better and more costly than the AirPods Pro. AirPods (Pro) are inferior compared to these headphones in every way except for integration with the Apple ecosystem. Even AppleInsider admits that the Bose QC Earbuds and Sony XM4s are superior: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8EB9bovb8&t=516s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14zIOxFAhQ&t=932s

This whole notion that people don't buy Apple products because they're poor needs to stop. It's an extremely base and fallacious argument it reflects poorly on people that try to make it. 
    edited November 2021 gatorguywilliamlondonsandordarkvaderlkruppjeffythequickblurpbleepbloopmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hipsters gonna hip.
    baconstangdewmemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 42
    bulk001 said:
    Nah that’s just nonsense. There is no mistaking my APs for a cheapie pair of $20 chinese knockoffs. It’s not class warfare, it’s just spending more for a value proposition. I have friends who tried the knocks and the battery sucked, the sound was worse, and they didn’t last as long. Choose your value proposition.
    williamlondonAnilu_777Beatsqwerty52Bart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    They had me at no more untangling the f’g cords. 
    williamlondonmaclin3Anilu_777blastdoorBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    All the best celebrities? Not really. More like a small handful of b-listers that probably lost their AirPods on the plane and just grabbed whatever they could find. One blogger trying to reach a quota threw out a story about it, and like a snowball rolling downhill, every other blogger on earth suffering from the slow news season blues picked up the “story” and repeated it back. 

I’ve been following this “story” closely for the last few weeks, and that’s exactly how it went down. That it’s become as big as it is was completely predictable, and the only surprise was in how long it took. 

So, a bunch of thirsty bloggers and a few thirsty “influencers” want to wear their wires now with retro pride? Good for them…I have a box of them in the garage they can have. I’ll stick with my Active Noise Cancellation and Conversation Boost, thank you very much. 
    edited November 2021 Anilu_777viclauyyccg27Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    LOL the idea that AirPods are "no longer cool" is as funny as the fact that AirPods weren't originally cool. The online technorati openly derided the AirPods with jokes about wearing toothbrushes in your ears, saying they looked stupid, etc. That didn't stop the AirPod's rise in popularity because they're very good, and got better with newer versions.
    Anilu_777BeatsviclauyycblastdoorBart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    I've always preferred 'cans' to 'buds'.  Wired, please.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 12 of 42
    An article referencing Instagram, Tick Tock and conspiracy theories, hmmmm? Sounds about right, because gawd herself whispers exclusively to celebrities, especially the no-name ones. [rolls eyes]

FFS, stop doing what those narcissists do just because "they" do it. Grow an opinion yourself and ignore the rest, follow a trend and you're just a lemming.
    baconstangAnilu_777Bart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Nobody drives in New York anymore. There’s too much traffic. 
    BeatsJaiOh81dewmeDetnatorBart Ymagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    So as the title reads “AirPods are not cool according to those that can’t afford them”. This is 100% the definition of “cancel culture”! Lol also known as envy, jealousy and haters… have fun staying broke peasants… get a job!
    Beatsmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Uh, who buys earbuds of any kind because they think they are "cool"? 

*disclaimer - yes I have AirPods Pro but for functionality. I bought the original ones and quickly got tired of them falling out or Siri not being responsive and they ended up on a shelf in less than a month. 
    williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    So who’s on a rant trying to make AirPods uncool. Morons all with nothing better to do. 
    williamlondon12Strangersmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    As long as it has an Apple product in the headline, it gets page views. That's the only thing that actually matters.
    lkruppBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    I mean, they've never been 'cool'.  The reality is that you look like you've got snot dripping out of your ears.

If you can live with that for the functionality, fine.  But you look about as uncool as somebody dragging toilet paper on their shoe.
    lkruppbaconstang12Strangers
  • Reply 19 of 42
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    Airpods cool? No, they still look like toothbrushes hanging out of your ear. Silly but you're not a moron anymore as many people have similar stuff hanging out of their ears.

But, while on the go I bring my Airpods in my pocket leaving me without tangling cables and without (too much) stress when I need to put in my headphones at some incoming call. I do not walk around with a full blown headphone on my head. That does make you look like kinda sad (besides, it can be pretty dangerous).

So, yes, I do love my Airpods and I use them a lot... for phonecalls, facetime, skype and google talk. For that the Airpod does a good job. For music? Not really. It's not that bad but I do prefer my Beoplay headphones.
    darkvader12Strangerswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Mitty said:

"AirPods are no longer cool, claim people who can't afford them"

This headline is pathetic. People don't like AirPods because they sound horrible. I have the Bose QC Earbuds and I've tried the Sony XM4s, both of which are better and more costly than the AirPods Pro. AirPods (Pro) are inferior compared to these headphones in every way except for integration with the Apple ecosystem. Even AppleInsider admits that the Bose QC Earbuds and Sony XM4s are superior: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8EB9bovb8&t=516s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14zIOxFAhQ&t=932s

This whole notion that people don't buy Apple products because they're poor needs to stop. It's an extremely base and fallacious argument it reflects poorly on people that try to make it. 

A TON of people don’t buy Apple products because they’re poor. How the hell do you think the knockoff iPhone/iPad/Mac market got a foothold? Same with knockoff AirPods I often see on the bus and for sale on second-hand market apps.

Also “people don’t like AirPods”

DUDE. They are the most successful speakers in human history.
    edited November 2021 magman1979