Thanksgiving surprise: Apple's over-priced cleaning cloth is shipping early

Posted:
in General Discussion
Buyers of Apple's $19 polishing cloth may soon get to grasp the cleaning tool sooner than they thought, as the fabric accessory has started to ship early.

The polishing cloth was added to the online Apple Store on October 18, and quickly became a hot commodity, with shipping estimates rapidly stretching into December then January within days of its launch. It now appears that for some lucky customers, they may get their orders much quicker than Apple initially forecast.

Reader Paul M. got in touch with AppleInsider to say their cleaning cloth order has shipped early. "Mine just shipped - was estimated Dec 9" the email reads.

The early shipment isn't an anomaly, as iPhone in Canada reports its own order has shipped, after previously indicating it would arrive within four to five weeks.

Currently, the Apple website has shipment estimates for new cloth orders as arriving between January 12 and January 25.

Previously only available from Apple service channels and support before becoming more widely available, the polishing cloth is intended to clean the nano-texture glass on the Pro Display XDR, as well as other Apple devices. It is made from a "soft, non-abrasive material," has a white color scheme, and an etched Apple logo. It isn't required on any other device.

Memes and a tongue-in-cheek teardown of the cloth ensued after its launch. Those not prepared to wait for an expensive cloth could save time and money by acquiring cloths produced by other well-established fabric vendors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    My Safari is snappier just thinking about it. 
    neoncatright_said_fredwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    Such great news. I was having a sub-par day until just now. Had to click to make this comment, the headline told the story. 
    neoncatright_said_fred12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It's now been nearly six months since I sneezed on my iPad® screen. Lacking a proper, Apple-branded cleaning option at the time, I considered simply throwing it away. Luckily, I was distracted by my growing collection of Apple Watch® bands long enough to simply shelve it in hope of a future solution. The announcement of Apple Cleaning Cloth® was a ray of hope, and I placed my order on day one (with the express shipping option for an additional $9). That I may soon be able to put iPad® back in service—fully cleaned—is the best news I've had all year. 
    right_said_fredelijahg
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I just sold an apple stock and bought 8 of those.  Going to put them in storage and in 25 years sell them on eBay for $89 each 
    right_said_fredbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Made with 100% recycled elf hair. 😐
    right_said_fredmaciekskontakt
  • Reply 6 of 16
    So what's wrong with a $1-$2 good quality microfiber cloth? Not good enough to touch Apple logo? I should have known that while wiping all Apple products since owning them since 2005.
    neoncatcuriousrun8
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jfdesigns said:
    Made with 100% recycled elf hair. 😐
    That's a good one   :)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The Polishing Cloth is well on its way to becoming the most beloved Apple product ever.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    The title of this article states the cloth is overpriced yet the article does not state what a reasonable price is for the cloth nor why the cloth is overpriced. Thankfully there is an overpriced cloth that this site can write about and push two ads against. 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    That sound you hear are 'Apple Polishers' cheering, far and wide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I just sold an apple stock and bought 8 of those.  Going to put them in storage and in 25 years sell them on eBay for $89 each 
    I can’t tell if you’re joking or not, but I looked up that “Designed by Apple in California” book last week on eBay and it was going for well over $2000. Your idea may not be far fetched at all. I might grab a handful for myself, lol. 
    edited November 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    The title of this article states the cloth is overpriced yet the article does not state what a reasonable price is for the cloth nor why the cloth is overpriced. Thankfully there is an overpriced cloth that this site can write about and push two ads against. 😂
    nor what warranties implied or legal you get from Apple the cloth will protect the surface of your $6,000 monitor that you paid an extra $1,000 for the nano-texturing on because you have demands for such things. Are you really going to use a cloth you brought 20 for $5 at the hardware store after that level of spending? Wait checks notes you get a cloth supplied with the monitor regardless of glass type
    mknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Some years ago Hugo Boss was selling cloth for cleaning glasses for 15€… and that was really no special material…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Can’t wait for the unboxing videos.
    baconstangravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I need an over-priced Apple Air Spray to clean the dust on my keyboard. I prefer the air from the mountain peak of Switzerland. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    mattinoz said:
    nor what warranties implied or legal you get from Apple the cloth will protect the surface of your $6,000 monitor that you paid an extra $1,000 for the nano-texturing on because you have demands for such things. Are you really going to use a cloth you brought 20 for $5 at the hardware store after that level of spending? Wait checks notes you get a cloth supplied with the monitor regardless of glass type
    There was an actual serious review - I can't remember which site did it - it was so serious it read pretty funny.

They did a good job in pointing out that the material of the Apple cloth seems to match the material of cloths that come with professional optical gear like microscopes and nothing like a regular microfibre cloth.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra