Apple debuts new short 'Saving Simon' shot on iPhone 13 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone
The new "Shot on iPhone" short film focuses on one little girl's attempt to keep the holiday spirit -- and the littlest snowman -- alive.

"Saving Simon" follows a year-long story of a little girl who wants to protect the only snowman she could save from her bully brother.

The film was directed by Oscar nominees Jason Reitman ("Juno," "Thank You For Smoking,") and his father, Ivan Reitman ("Ghostbusters," "Kindergarten Cop.")

The song featured in "Saving Simon" is "You and I" by Valerie June.

The short was filmed entirely on the iPhone 13 Pro and has become something of a yearly tradition. This year, the short doesn't focus on a singular product, but rather on the filming capabilities of the iPhone 13 Pro.

The 2019 ad focused on how the iPad can ease holiday and travel tensions and bring families together after a tough year.

The 2018 ad, "Share Your Gifts," was designed to manufacture an emotional attachment with the Apple brand than sell any specific product.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    It really has biblical parallels, it even has a resurrection. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This video was stupid. Yup, I’m going to be that guy. Just trying to imagine my parents, or any parents really, just let their kid throw perfectly good food all over the floor and store a dirty snowman in the freezer for a whole year really stretches the limits of reality. Please tell me this isn’t the holiday ad we’re going to have to see for the next month. 
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Japhey said:
    This video was stupid. Yup, I’m going to be that guy. Just trying to imagine my parents, or any parents really, just let their kid throw perfectly good food all over the floor and store a dirty snowman in the freezer for a whole year really stretches the limits of reality. Please tell me this isn’t the holiday ad we’re going to have to see for the next month. 
    I’m sorry you can only focus on the negative. How do you know they didn’t put the food back in the freezer ? How do you know the snowman is dirty or that it makes a difference when everything is wrapped?
    I sincerely hope you can find something good in the upcoming holiday season. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    fred1 said:
    Japhey said:
    I’m sorry you can only focus on the negative. How do you know they didn’t put the food back in the freezer ? How do you know the snowman is dirty or that it makes a difference when everything is wrapped?
    I sincerely hope you can find something good in the upcoming holiday season. 
    It doesn’t matter if they put the food back (which, of course they did), or not. It’s the fact that not many parents would just sit there passively while their child threw all their food on the ground. Maybe you and the people you know would be cool with that, but most everyone else wouldn’t. Sorry. Secondly, I know the snowman is dirty because they showed the back view of it several times, and the debris is clearly visible right front of you. Thirdly, someone doesn’t have to be a negative person with a negative view of the universe in order to think something isn’t good. And so, although your holiday wishes were both patronizing and dismissive, I return them to you with gratitude. 

edit: some examples of holiday commercials I actually like from this year are the Netflix and Amazon ads. 

edited November 2021
  • Reply 5 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    “although your holiday wishes were both patronizing and dismissive . . .”

Then you completely misunderstood.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    fred1 said:

Yeah, sounds like maybe you’re the negative person here, then. I simply disliked an illogical commercial, while you’re actively being il spirited. I’m genuinely sorry you live in a world where any opinion other than your own is wrong. May some ray of positivity find its way to you, sir. It seems like you may need it more.
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 7 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Japhey said:
    You must be a ball to watch Christmas movies with.  "stretches the limits of reality" for heaven's sake.  It's a sweet story about a girl who keeps a snowman in the freezer for a year and a family who loves and indulges her, not a kitchen sink drama.

It was cute, and very nicely shot, which is the bit that Apple are trying to push.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member

Usually I like Apple's xmas ads. Some of them I'll even go back and watch multiple times. They're that beautiful.

This one I really dislike. I mean intensely.
    Not sure if it was the AH kid at the beginning. Or the absurd premise that she could preserve the snowman for a year. Or that it gets destroyed anyway. Or that the little snowman looks about as real as the foam rocks on Star Trek TOS. 
    Or maybe it's just that the whole thing feels excruciatingly contrived and artificial. 
    What ever the reason I really dislike this one.

Hard miss on this one.

Japhey said:

Oh yeah the kid dumping out a freezer full of food on the floor and the parents just sit there. Not bloody likely. Utterly contrived and obviously, painfully, manipulative. 

edited November 2021 Japhey
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fred1 said:

Apologies for my previous response, which was made half awake at around 3am. I thought you said “understood”, instead of “misunderstood”, which is what I based that regrettable response on. So, it seems not only did I misunderstand, but I also misread too. Apologies again. 
    edited November 2021
  • Reply 10 of 11
    DAalseth said:

Usually I like Apple's xmas ads. Some of them I'll even go back and watch multiple times. They're that beautiful.

This one I really dislike. I mean intensely.
    Not sure if it was the AH kid at the beginning. Or the absurd premise that she could preserve the snowman for a year. Or that it gets destroyed anyway. Or that the little snowman looks about as real as the foam rocks on Star Trek TOS. 
    Or maybe it's just that the whole thing feels excruciatingly contrived and artificial. 
    What ever the reason I really dislike this one.

Hard miss on this one.

Japhey said:

Oh yeah the kid dumping out a freezer full of food on the floor and the parents just sit there. Not bloody likely. Utterly contrived and obviously, painfully, manipulative. 

Exactly. I knew I wouldn’t be the only one. And what about the magical cooler you can take camping with you and nothing inside melts at all? Including the snow person that you must reach under and around in order to access anything? 
    DAalseth