Jack Dorsey steps down as Twitter CEO, Parag Agrawal named as new head

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Jack Dorsey, the CEO and co-founder of Twitter, is believed to be preparing to step away from his role as the head of the micro-blogging app.

Following an early leak of the departure, ex-Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has stepped down from his post. Following the report, Twitter's shares rocketed up 11%. Twitter has so far declined to comment on the matter.

This is Dorsey's second exit from the CEO role. In 2008, he moved from being a CEO to the board chairman, but then became interim CEO in 2015 following the resignation of Dick Costolo.

Parag Agrawal is the new company CEO. Agrawal joined Twitter in 2011, and was previously serving as the company's Chief Technical Officer

Bret Taylor has been promoted to Chairman of the Board.

Dorsey is still the CEO of payment platform Square. Investment firm Elliott Management sought to remove Dorsey as CEO in 2020, with firm founder Paul Singer calling for Dorsey to step down as CEO for one of the two public companies instead of heading up both.

not sure anyone has heard but,

I resigned from Twitter pic.twitter.com/G5tUkSSxkl

— jack (@jack)

Update November 29, 11:11 AM ET: Updated with confirmation of the departure from Dorsey himself.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    I am touched. Wait a moment.I have never been on Twitter and left Facebook one year ago. Maybe changes to Meta and Dorsey leaving Twitter were result of that  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 52
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I am touched. Wait a moment.I have never been on Twitter and left Facebook one year ago. Maybe changes to Meta and Dorsey leaving Twitter were result of that  :D
    I quit both earlier this year.  Both are evil companies.  I don't suspect this will improve Twitter at all.  At Least Hipster Rasputin won't have his mug everywhere.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sdw2001 said:
    I quit both earlier this year.  Both are evil companies.  I don't suspect this will improve Twitter at all.  At Least Hipster Rasputin won't have his mug everywhere.  
    Apple is not exactly a saint either. Maybe not ‘evil’ per se but tiptoeing around it sometimes.
    shareef777byronlOferdk49
  • Reply 4 of 52
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Apple is not exactly a saint either. Maybe not ‘evil’ per se but tiptoeing around it sometimes.
    WTF does Apple have to do with any of this?  They don't have a social media presence!
    StrangeDaysjahbladebaconstangDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Jack was a coward. He's now free to grow his beard out even longer and avoid making hard decisions or even enforcing their current policies when it gets hard. 

His time is done. His future is getting high on the playa and contemplating alternate realities while stroking said beard.
    edited November 2021 williamlondondk49watto_cobradewme
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Noticed a lot of people trumpeting what platforms they've never joined or have recently left. Is that the new hipster thing to do!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    williamlondonOferdk49watto_cobraGeorgeBMacjcs2305docno42byronl
  • Reply 7 of 52
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    WTF does Apple have to do with any of this?  They don't have a social media presence!
    He’s not wrong though, as Apple sometimes treads in murky waters, especially in regard to China. 
    In regard to Twitter, nothing will change about that company. Unfortunately he is still on at Square. 
    edited November 2021 byronl
  • Reply 8 of 52
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    I'm more interested in Parag Agrawal and Bret Taylor. Are there any chances that either of them will give a corporate damn as to whether their company's product is used to facilitate the spread of misinformation that kills people or undermines democracy? Time will tell.
    williamlondonOferforegoneconclusionwatto_cobradewme
  • Reply 9 of 52
    I can't quit using either because I never started.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 52
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    He’s not wrong though, as Apple sometimes treads in murky waters, especially in regard to China. 
    In regard to Twitter, nothing will change about that company. Unfortunately he is still on at Square. 
    Did Apple experience China haters' accusations in China? None! Nada! This is unlike what Twitter experienced in US. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 52
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Did Apple experience China haters' accusations in China? None! Nada! This is unlike what Twitter experienced in US. 
    Twitter experienced USA haters in the USA? That’s what you’re saying? 
    Jack Twitter Dorsey acted like a coward. His lack of courage undermined democracy in the USA
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 52
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Jack Twitter Dorsey acted like a coward. His lack of courage undermined democracy in the USA
    What act is coward? 
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I wouldn't engage.  The resident PRC plant and his useful fool pet will just wear you down with non-sequiturs about how great China is, whataboutisms and false equivalencies.
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 14 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    I'm more interested in Parag Agrawal and Bret Taylor. Are there any chances that either of them will give a corporate damn as to whether their company's product is used to facilitate the spread of misinformation that kills people or undermines democracy? Time will tell.
    One person's misinformation is another person's fight against the mainstream media and the slander and filtering of real news it provides.  There's a dangerous step when these social media companies 'filter' what they perceive as misinformation.  Remember when Youtube and Twitter were banning posts regarding the origin of Covid19?  Well, that didn't age well.  We need these platforms to be free of the bias of the operator and let the users decide what is real and what is fake.  
    williamlondondocno42byronl
  • Reply 15 of 52
    rattlhed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    One person's misinformation is another person's fight against the mainstream media and the slander and filtering of real news it provides.  There's a dangerous step when these social media companies 'filter' what they perceive as misinformation.  Remember when Youtube and Twitter were banning posts regarding the origin of Covid19?  Well, that didn't age well.  We need these platforms to be free of the bias of the operator and let the users decide what is real and what is fake.  
    We do not.  It's their platform, their rules.  If you want a platform as you describe, then create one (others have tried & failed - they don't work as expected).  You can't tell a company how to run their platform, they designed & they own.  You don't like it, don't participate.

It's become obvious that a lot of the general population is incapable of deciding what is real and what is fake... 
    ronnwatto_cobrawilliamlondondewmebrometheus
  • Reply 16 of 52
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    rattlhed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Sorry, I don't buy the nihilistic idea that there are no facts or fiction and that it's purely up to the individual to instead decide which of all the equally unprovable opinions they prefer to believe. That kind of nihilism is promoted by dictators and autocrats as a means to keep the masses from hearing inconvenient truths that would weaken their hold on power. It short-circuits participatory democracy by substituting tribal loyalties for informed debate. Authoritarians know that it is far easier to convince people not to listen to the truth than it is to keep them from hearing it. 

No, I don't want social media platforms choosing between opinionated preferences for Ludwig von Mises or Karl Marx. I also don't want social media algorithms promoting opinion-based hokum that contradicts science-based facts because the hokum generates more clicks. 
    edited November 2021 ronnwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacthtwilliamlondondewmebrometheus
  • Reply 17 of 52
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    People in China are either not allowed to know what is going on, or afraid to speak of it if they do. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 18 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I wouldn't engage.  The resident PRC plant and his useful fool pet will just wear you down with non-sequiturs about how great China is, whataboutisms and false equivalencies.

Said the China Hater who attacks any and all who do not support his agenda.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    People in China are either not allowed to know what is going on, or afraid to speak of it if they do. 

Or perhaps they don't have professional propagandists spreading conspiracy theories.
    waveparticle
  • Reply 20 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    rattlhed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Sorry, I don't buy the nihilistic idea that there are no facts or fiction and that it's purely up to the individual to instead decide which of all the equally unprovable opinions they prefer to believe. That kind of nihilism is promoted by dictators and autocrats as a means to keep the masses from hearing inconvenient truths that would weaken their hold on power. It short-circuits participatory democracy by substituting tribal loyalties for informed debate. Authoritarians know that it is far easier to convince people not to listen to the truth than it is to keep them from hearing it. 

No, I don't want social media platforms choosing between opinionated preferences for Ludwig von Mises or Karl Marx. I also don't want social media algorithms promoting opinion-based hokum that contradicts science-based facts because the hokum generates more clicks. 

There is another, perhaps even more dangerous side to social media -- and online media in general:  As people self-select to view one-sided, distorted stories, online media keeps feeding them more of that one-sided, distorted view and pushes them further and further away from reality and deeper into the rabbit hole of their false, distorted beliefs.  And, since opposing facts are suppressed, it becomes a positive feedback loop spinning and faster and faster till its victim is an out of control radical -- perhaps attacking the capitol of their nation thinking that they are saving it.

While the Free Press is the foundation that democracy stands on, it is being used by unscrupulous characters to dismantle the democracy that both depends on it and supports it.

We like to dismiss and ignore the power of propaganda.  But, when you feed people a continuous string of lies without any pushback, those lies become the truth and can sway a nation.  We saw that in 1930's where an entire nation thought mass euthanasia of any they considered defectives (from autistic people to Jewish people) was a good idea.
    edited November 2021 ronnbyronl