Apple to overtake Samsung in Q4 2021, 5G iPhone SE coming in 2022

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2021
Apple has regained its spot as the second-largest smartphone manufacturer in the world in the third quarter of 2021, and the iPhone 13 models will likely drive it to first in Q4.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The Cupertino tech giant had a 15.9% share of the market in the third quarter of 2021, which spans the period between July and September, according to analysis firm Trendforce, which ranked vendors on smartphone production and not sales.

Quarter-over-quarter, Apple's four iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro models drove a 22.6% increase in iPhone production in Q3 2021. The company produced an estimated 51.5 million iPhone models during the period.

Trendforce also estimates that Apple will overtake Samsung and become the world's top smartphone brand in the fourth quarter -- the busy holiday shopping season -- with 23.2% of the market.

The analysis firm also forecasts that Apple is on-track to release with a third-generation iPhone SE in the first quarter of 2022. It believes that the device could be a "major instrument" in helping Apple achieve a more foothold in the midrange 5G market.

Trendforce estimates that "iPhone SE 3" production could reach up to 30 million units in 2022.

Behind Apple in the third quarter was Oppo, Xiaomi, and Vivo, in that order. Samsung ranked first with 21.2% of the market, while Oppo had 15.7%, Xiaomi had 13.7%, and Vivo had 10.5%.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I’m absolutely buying the SE and dumping my 12 mini.

I picked up my friends 2nd generation SE and it was so light, then and had Touch ID.
    much nicer then the mini which is HUGE and feels slow in comparison 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Fred257 said:

I picked up my friends 2nd generation SE and it was so light, then and had Touch ID.

I find it near impossible to believe that a 12 Mini feels slower than an SE.

StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mike1 said:
    Fred257 said:

I find it near impossible to believe that a 12 Mini feels slower than an SE.

Agreed.  The iPhone 13 mini has 5G and the same processor as the bigger brothers.  Not sure what the problem is.   If you want a smaller phone, it seems like just the ticket.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    23% marketshare sounds more in line and deserved for the original iPhone. A great task considering knockoffs are being given away or sold for 50 bucks.

I do agree the “mini” is freakin gigantic!!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'm over the 5G hype.  Since getting my 13 Pro Max, almost every 4-bar 5G Speedtest I've run has been less than stellar.  I've had similar/better results on LTE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I'm over the 5G hype.  Since getting my 13 Pro Max, almost every 4-bar 5G Speedtest I've run has been less than stellar.  I've had similar/better results on LTE.
    AT&T wanted me to switch plans in order to use my 5G. Instead, I switched carriers -- Mint Mobile is way cheaper and doesn't require a special plan to use my device.

I get good speed test results with it. But it's still a yawner - nothing in my life is any measurably better with 5G on my cell phone. Surfing the web, using Yelp or Twitter, all the same when out and about. 5G is overrated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 38unconfirmed, member
    Fred257 said:

What am I missing here. Compared with the 12 mini, the SE 2nd gen is taller and wider and it weighs more. It is thinner by 0.1mm I guess but that is hardly a compensation for the smaller screen

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra