Tesla selling $50 Cyberwhistle, Musk mocks $19 Apple polishing cloth

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    For some reason, I think I'd get more utility out of a $19 cleaning cloth than I would a $50 whistle.
    baconstang12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    What he really needs to do is get the apple polishing cloth to polish is cyber whistle!

I’m waiting for ifixit to come out with a tear down and repairability rating for the cyber whistle!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    While I find Elon Musk an ass, he is a master troll and is obviously poking fun at both Apple and Tesla. 

We’ll done. 

edited December 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Comparing the Apple (Magic?) Polishing Cloth to the Tesla Cyberwhistle isn't really fair. Apple's cloth is intended to be functional tool whereas the whistle is just a cheesy collectible. Now ... if Tesla had fabricated the whistle with a cylindrical shape it could be used as a "tool," one that could provide an audible warning when Elon is blowing smoke ... from his butt.

When it comes to collectibles, I'm holding out for the "Titans of Big Tech" line of collectible action figures. I'm thinking Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Jack Dorsey, Satya Nadella, and of course Jeff Bezos - at a minimum. Hopefully the Tim Cook and Steve Jobs models will be equipped with Kung Fu Grip, you know, to better grip miniature iPhones and the Zuckerberg model's scrawny little neck.
    robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Happily driving my under-priced Chevy Bolt EV. It delivers everything an EV should without all the hoopla. Musk demonstrates that you can be both an entrepreneurial genius and a social idiot at the same time. 
    baconstang12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I got curious and checked the Tesla site, the whistle page is already down because they sold out.  Quick glance at eBay and prices on the cyberwhistles both in hand and confirmed  preorders are going nuts.  I see buy now anywhere from $199-$299 and bids over $150😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,565member
    dewme said:
    Comparing the Apple (Magic?) Polishing Cloth to the Tesla Cyberwhistle isn't really fair. Apple's cloth is intended to be functional tool whereas the whistle is just a cheesy collectible.
    I'm under the assumption that the whistle works. While I don't use whistles often I do have a couple on my gear whilst backpacking. One I bought separately because it's quite loud and has a long range, and at least one other is built into the backpack (a standard practice) but isn't great if you needed people to come to your rescue from afar or to scare away predatory animals.

Perhaps you mean that it surely functions but is overpriced compared to other, just as capable whistles. You're probably right, but so are gold plated letter openers with mother of pearl handles that fancy people have on their desk when cheap plastic options are just as good in doing the job. In that vein, is the Apple polishing cloth really worth the extra expense over much cheaper options?
    edited December 2021 williamlondondewme
  • Reply 28 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Xed said:
    I usually don't like the comparisons of Musk and Jobs—especially when people claim that their onstage dynamic is similar—but in this case he's successfully very Jobsian.
    There is absolutely no comparison. Musk is a terrible public speaker, it makes me embarrassed just to watch. 
    williamlondonbaconstangtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Xed said:
    dewme said:
    Comparing the Apple (Magic?) Polishing Cloth to the Tesla Cyberwhistle isn't really fair. Apple's cloth is intended to be functional tool whereas the whistle is just a cheesy collectible.
    I'm under the assumption that the whistle works. While I don't use whistles often I do have a couple on my gear whilst backpacking. One I bought separately because it's quite loud and has a long range, and at least one other is built into the backpack (a standard practice) but isn't great if you needed people to come to your rescue from afar or to scare away predatory animals.

Perhaps you mean that it surely functions but is overpriced compared to other, just as capable whistles. You're probably right, but so are gold plated letter openers with mother of pearl handles that fancy people have on their desk when cheap plastic options are just as good in doing the job. In that vein, is the Apple polishing cloth really worth the extra expense over much cheaper options?
    Thanks for catching me up on whistles. Definitely makes it a functional item, but as with the action figures that I mentioned, actually playing with it probably devalues its collectibility substantially. 

I kind of expect that we’ll be seeing these Tesla whistles showing up on eBay in a few years for far more than $50. Will the Apple cleaning clothes have any collectible value? Maybe. 

I think the real draw with the Apple cleaning cloth is that it’s intended to be used on an extremely expensive and delicate display. It’s like the fancy wheels for the Mac Pro. Once you’ve spent a ginormous amount of money on a piece of Apple technology, are you really going to quibble about buying an exorbitantly overpriced accessory when it’s a fraction of the big ticket item?

Apple thinks the answer is no, or else they would not put it out there for sale. Just like the much maligned $900 mil-spec hammers of bygone eras, I’m sure that Apple can rationalize the price tag with a certain amount of data and arm waving. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    A pet rock being peddled by a petty, narcissistic man-boy.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,565member
    Xed said:
    I usually don't like the comparisons of Musk and Jobs—especially when people claim that their onstage dynamic is similar—but in this case he's successfully very Jobsian.
    There is absolutely no comparison. Musk is a terrible public speaker, it makes me embarrassed just to watch. 
    It seems like he loses his train of thought constantly where Jobs always seemed laser focused.

dewme said:
    Xed said:
    dewme said:

Thanks for catching me up on whistles. Definitely makes it a functional item, but as with the action figures that I mentioned, actually playing with it probably devalues its collectibility substantially. 

I kind of expect that we’ll be seeing these Tesla whistles showing up on eBay in a few years for far more than $50. Will the Apple cleaning clothes have any collectible value? Maybe. 

I think the real draw with the Apple cleaning cloth is that it’s intended to be used on an extremely expensive and delicate display. It’s like the fancy wheels for the Mac Pro. Once you’ve spent a ginormous amount of money on a piece of Apple technology, are you really going to quibble about buying an exorbitantly overpriced accessory when it’s a fraction of the big ticket item?

Apple thinks the answer is no, or else they would not put it out there for sale. Just like the much maligned $900 mil-spec hammers of bygone eras, I’m sure that Apple can rationalize the price tag with a certain amount of data and arm waving. 
    I suspect that you're correct. The $500 "Not A Flame hrower" from his Boring Company looks to be going for thousands a few years later. They sold 20k of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124566960749
    edited December 2021 dewmetmaywatto_cobrajony0